ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Would you change your office ???

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

Would you change your office ???

Post by MissKazzyB »

Hi guys

I’m still debating whether to get a transfer to a office that’s more convenient for me.

I popped in there this week to have a look & have a chat with some of the people that work there.

I was very surprised how big it was compared to my current office.
My current office has about 16 delivery walks whereas the office I’m thinking of transferring to has about 55 delivery walks.
I spoke to afew guys there who said it’s a very very very busy office & demanding all year round !!!
I am part time because I have to do the school run.
In my current office I get a rotating rest day however if I was to get the transfer I would have every Tuesday off as my rest day. As I’m typing this I think I’ve already made up my mind as don’t like the fact that it’s the same day every week & that also means I’ll never get a Saturday off :-(((( Unless the manager can change it.
I don’t want to jump before I can walk so to speak lol

What would you do ????
Would you stay where it’s a smaller office, pay more petrol to commute, further away from sons school, get on with everyone, getting to know all the walks or would you change where you don’t know anyone, much bigger busier office, pay less in petrol as less commuting , closer to sons school, only have Tuesday as rest day ??

Thanks for reading
Last edited by MissKazzyB on 29 Nov 2017, 15:06, edited 2 times in total.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Would you change your office ???

Post by Acca Dacca »

i would stay put
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Would you change your office ???

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I've worked in about ten different Delivery Offices over the years and they all have their own pros & cons. You might even like to list yours on a piece of paper to help you decide. Smaller DOs generally feel like nicer places to work. Some of the big ones can really feel very oppressive, like a bloody battery farm with all those frames! :crazy:

I'd say traveling Time & Distance is probably a big decider. Nothing worse at the end of a busy day than a long trip home in busy holiday traffic. Plus the fuel bill is only going to increase, and the wear and tear on your vehicle is a cost. Always stressful if your car breaks down and you got to drive to work. Although you mention you're already doing the "Long Trip". Is that sustainable over the years? The worst I did was about 45 minutes commute either way. :sad:

I definitely wouldn't except every Tuesday as my day off. That is a Piss Take! :no no I know DOMs that try it on (and I've been the victim of it in the past) So you get the "Easy" day off and have to work the "Hard" ones. The least he should do is give you a Saturday off every 6 weeks, although you wouldn't get the following Monday which is a bummer. :sad: Perhaps you could negotiate if he's desperate for Staff and Insist on the usual rotating day off. :hmmmm

Your Colleagues are another big part of the job. If they're a bunch of Arseholes it doesn't make things easier. :thumbdown Perhaps you could ask for a trial and work there for a few weeks. If you're PT could you work there a couple of days a week? Nothing like personal experience, otherwise you might transfer and hate the place & people. Good Luck. :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Would you change your office ???

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

50 duties isn't a big office. Try the 200+ we have here. 3 floors.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Would you change your office ???

Post by Dorset Plodder »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:50 duties isn't a big office. Try the 200+ we have here. 3 floors.
Sounds Nice & Cosy to me! :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Would you change your office ???

Post by greengiant »

What does your union rep say with regards to only getting tuesdays as your day off? If it was me, I'd move to the closer office, which would make for shorter commute, closer to school, and then discuss the only getting tuesdays off with the union rep!

Surely you should be getting the day off associated with whatever route you are on even if you move offices?

Good luck.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Would you change your office ???

Post by Celgar »

I would stay in the smaller office personally. As long as the commute time wasn't excessive. My delivery office is five minutes drive away or a 25 minute walk if the car won't start.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Would you change your office ???

Post by koolishy67 »

Stay smaller office. E
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Would you change your office ???

Post by Jpro747 »

Stay put, transfer sounds like a worse deal even if the commute is shorter you won’t notice a few extra minutes
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Would you change your office ???

Post by wacko74 »

Moving to a bigger office with lots of walks that you DON'T know isn't necessarily a bad thing... the less duties you know, the less you can ge messed around!
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Would you change your office ???

Post by NewPostieUK »

Stay put. You can always have a re-think in a year.

I'm in exactly the same position, although I would guess you don't have the stupidly HUGE commute that I do.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Would you change your office ???

Post by Interested-seeker »

I'm in the opposite situation. I work at quite a big office (big for the region that I live in), it is about 1hr30m drive from where I live there and back. The office near me is much smaller and only 10 mins away.

Could you maybe try working your day off at the office local to you to see if you like it?
HarryPoorer
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
Gender: Male

Would you change your office ???

Post by HarryPoorer »

Being in a big office myself, ours closed and merged, there is now a lino for every postcode sector (5) when all we need is one lino for the whole office, watching them do nothing really makes my blood boil, stay in a small office.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Would you change your office ???

Post by South_London_Postie »

Stay where you are. Managers who dictate p- timers have Tuesday are guaranteed c***s.
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

Would you change your office ???

Post by Edward Hunter »

i swapped a few years ago. I lost a total hour a day commute there and back but now live round the corner from where i work. Overall i think of all that wasted travel time ive saved over the years and think i made the right decision. End of the day the job is the same wherever you are.