ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas pressure

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postiegirl1
Posts: 13
Joined: 28 Dec 2011, 10:47
Gender: Female

Christmas pressure

Post by Postiegirl1 »

Every year we get overtime for the Christmas pressure normally we go in an hour early and stay out longer. This year we have a new DOM who hasn't agreed this so we are expected to cover extra packets etc within our normal round. For a Tuesday we had a lot of extra mail and only just managed to finish. Is your office offering overtime payments for the Christmas pressure?
t3mcIUQWE2
Posts: 137
Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by t3mcIUQWE2 »

All part timers were offered full time.

As for overtime, same as the rest of year, unlimited.
Last edited by t3mcIUQWE2 on 28 Nov 2017, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by worktotime »

our orifice is running on overtime ( for them that want it :wave ) otherwise it would fall to bits :thumbdown
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Christmas pressure

Post by clashcityrocker »

Royal Mail has always run on overtime.
If the overtime wasn't available a lot of people would s**t their pants.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Daveg50
Posts: 40
Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by Daveg50 »

If everyone just worked there contracted hours the whole of the distribution and delivery chain would grind to a halt in less than a week. The job cant be done in the time scale they say it can, don't care what the planners computer says. Maybe we should all stick to our contracted hours, no working days off, start on time finish on time, no running around like an idiot, take you meal break. Might be more productive and work better than a full scale industrial strike !
bensonhedge
Posts: 448
Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by bensonhedge »

Rule number 1-only do o/t if you cut a deal,or it's ghost.
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8874
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by blue1873 »

clashcityrocker wrote:Royal Mail has always run on overtime.
If the overtime wasn't available a lot of people would s**t their pants.
Dont know so much about shittin their pants but in our office there would be a good
few wrists being slashed and fair few punters jumping off the Kingston bridge ,
and thats not a joke :sad:
Redcollar
Posts: 29
Joined: 08 Mar 2017, 16:40
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by Redcollar »

Daveg50 wrote:If everyone just worked there contracted hours the whole of the distribution and delivery chain would grind to a halt in less than a week. The job cant be done in the time scale they say it can, don't care what the planners computer says. Maybe we should all stick to our contracted hours, no working days off, start on time finish on time, no running around like an idiot, take you meal break. Might be more productive and work better than a full scale industrial strike !
Totally get where you are coming from but it's hard to turn down overtime when you're only on a measly part time contract. I would genuinely love to work my contracted hours just to stick it to the managers but unfortunately not financially possible for me and many others to turn it down when it's offered.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by Celgar »

Before last year we could book all extended delivery at Christmas time. Last year they had more of a budget and were talking about spreading it out fairly so people who were getting done before time still got paid some extended. This year we seem to be on a budget again so I'm expecting to not get fully paid for all the work I do. As I mentioned in my other post though the rest of the year we don't get paid for any work done past the finish time on our own walks.

As far as I know we won't be able to book any Christmas pressure either til the W/C 4th or 11th of December - hopefully from the 4th December. I don't think we will get any for this week either which is bad really. If you aren't going to get any more money at all for Christmas extended then I think your office needs to walk out on strike. Our office is bad but yours would be worse than ours otherwise. RM really is going to the dogs isn't it.....

PS: 29/11/2017. Our DOM has started paying Christmas pressure today so I expect that will carry on all the way through to Christmas. We had a lot of Parcels to deal with today as I expect everyone else did.
Last edited by Celgar on 29 Nov 2017, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by ted_e_bear »

As far as I know we won't be able to book any Christmas pressure either til the W/C 4th or 11th of December
That's taking the Mick we had an absolute mountain of parcels today, they wouldn't have got delivered if overtime wasn't paid !
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by yellowbelly »

Celgar wrote:........so I'm expecting to not get fully paid for all the work I do. As I mentioned in my other post though the rest of the year we don't get paid for any work done past the finish time on our own walks.
.......I don't think we will get any for this week either which is bad really.....then I think your office needs to walk out on strike.
Jeez, I think yours needs to go on strike never mind anyone else's!! Surely not getting paid for work is illegal? What does
your rep do about this...???
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by Celgar »

I was being a bit pessimistic in my forecast for what would happen. We have started getting paid Xmas pressure today.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by eastie »

Our Xmas pressure started last monday
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Christmas pressure

Post by Chelseablue »

No extra vans , no packet drivers = pissed off postys and stuff being left anyone else?
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Christmas pressure

Post by eastie »

Chelseablue wrote:No extra vans , no packet drivers = pissed off postys and stuff being left anyone else?
why are you pissed off?? just work your time and let the DOM worry