ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Swapping walks

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
paulf0203
Posts: 121
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 09:58
Gender: Male

Swapping walks

Post by paulf0203 »

Can two colleagues in an office just decide to swap walks, or is there a process to follow?
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Swapping walks

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I believe you probably should do something "Officially", but in the Real World of Posties does it make a difference? Provided you both deliver each others duty I can't see a problem. :hmmmm

We all talk about "Signing for Duties" but I don't think I've ever actually signed on a piece of paper for any duty I've delivered. Needless to say it'll all be fine until something goes wrong and then they'll use it as a shitty stick to beat you with. I would have thought all the DOM was interested in was getting both duties delivered. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
geordieboy123
Posts: 384
Joined: 06 Nov 2014, 17:35
Gender: Female

Swapping walks

Post by geordieboy123 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I believe you probably should do something "Officially", but in the Real World of Posties does it make a difference? Provided you both deliver each others duty I can't see a problem. :hmmmm

We all talk about "Signing for Duties" but I don't think I've ever actually signed on a piece of paper for any duty I've delivered. Needless to say it'll all be fine until something goes wrong and then they'll use it as a shitty stick to beat you with. I would have thought all the DOM was interested in was getting both duties delivered. :cuppa
If someone wants to give up their walk should it not be advertised rather than them come to a private arrangement with one of their mates?
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Swapping walks

Post by crazyshrew »

How big a gap is there between the two?
If for example postie A had enough seniority to have had their pick of the walks and postie B is 20 or so places below them, there will be pleanty of peed off posties in the middle who have been bypassed for a particular walk.

Unless there is an equality act issue involved or some other very special circumstance at play, if the posties don't want the walks they are on they should give them up and play seniority roulette like the rest of the office
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Swapping walks

Post by Dorset Plodder »

geordieboy123 wrote:
If someone wants to give up their walk should it not be advertised rather than them come to a private arrangement with one of their mates?
I see where you're coming from, and perhaps there's something in rules & regulations that says so. However like I say in the Real World ...... I suppose in theory if both duties are equal and they want to swap, there's actually no chance that one of those duties would become available. If one duty was FT and the other PT then maybe. The only time we have duties advertised is when someone actually leaves, and then they often try and slip one of the "Chosen Few" onto an easy duty. :no no
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Swapping walks

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
geordieboy123 wrote:
If someone wants to give up their walk should it not be advertised rather than them come to a private arrangement with one of their mates?
I see where you're coming from, and perhaps there's something in rules & regulations that says so. However like I say in the Real World ...... I suppose in theory if both duties are equal and they want to swap, there's actually no chance that one of those duties would become available. If one duty was FT and the other PT then maybe. The only time we have duties advertised is when someone actually leaves, and then they often try and slip one of the "Chosen Few" onto an easy duty. :no no
"in theory if both duties are equal" :thumbup but in theory ALL duties are equal. :roll: :cuppa
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Swapping walks

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
"in theory if both duties are equal" :thumbup but in theory ALL duties are equal. :roll: :cuppa
Ha Ha Yeah.... "But some duties are more equal than others"! :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Swapping walks

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
"in theory if both duties are equal" :thumbup but in theory ALL duties are equal. :roll: :cuppa
Ha Ha Yeah.... "But some duties are more equal than others"! :whistle
Yes indeed. :arrrghhh :roll:
lala
Posts: 189
Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 19:57
Gender: Male

Swapping walks

Post by lala »

I would think it would need to be an official thing.

Imagine a postie with an "easy" walk is about to leave the business.

He swaps with his mate who has a crap walk.

He then leaves after a week on a crap walk leaving his mate laughing.

Does that seem right?
postslippete
Posts: 4196
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Swapping walks

Post by postslippete »

Only when they leave should the duty be officially advertised. However, I know of a few occasions where this hasn't happened with the boss fobbing others off with the fact that they have "special requirements" based on the Equality Act and they cannot disclose such information about it.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Swapping walks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

postslippete wrote:Only when they leave should the duty be officially advertised. However, I know of a few occasions where this hasn't happened with the boss fobbing others off with the fact that they have "special requirements" based on the Equality Act and they cannot disclose such information about it.
Even if you suspect its fobbing off the manager is correct about not being able to disclose information about it. If he did so it would break 2 laws simultaneously.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
geordieboy123
Posts: 384
Joined: 06 Nov 2014, 17:35
Gender: Female

Swapping walks

Post by geordieboy123 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
postslippete wrote:Only when they leave should the duty be officially advertised. However, I know of a few occasions where this hasn't happened with the boss fobbing others off with the fact that they have "special requirements" based on the Equality Act and they cannot disclose such information about it.
Even if you suspect its fobbing off the manager is correct about not being able to disclose information about it. If he did so it would break 2 laws simultaneously.
Is it right then teebs that they can just swap duties?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Swapping walks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Operationally on a given day yes.

Over an extended period without Union input and with no good reason - No.

However, they can, again with Union being informed, change duties to meet legal requirements. This includes, but isn't limited to "Reasonable Adjustments" for DA compliance or even Drivers being banned from driving because of legal infringements.

In both the above cases people can be moved from and to different duties, hopefully with their agreement. However, those people couldn't and indeed shouldn't know the reasons why.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Swapping walks

Post by Dorset Plodder »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote: Even if you suspect its fobbing off the manager is correct about not being able to disclose information about it. If he did so it would break 2 laws simultaneously.
I hear what you're saying here about disclosing confidential information. I suppose we just have to believe the DOM, because DOMs would never lie just to make their own lives easier, or to favour cronies would they? :whistle

Surely this info should be verified by someone neutral? We had a particularly lazy PHG who because he did a lot of the DOMs paperwork & reports for him was just allowed to sit around the office all day doing very little. When someone phoned in sick the DOM wanted to lapse another duty so we all said, "Why can't Bill take the walk out"? (names have been changed to protect the guilty) "Because he has a Medical condition that prevents him doing Delivery" replied the DOM. Cut a long story short.... Turns out he had a "bad" knee. We nearly pissed ourselves laughing :dance As we all stood about with Aching Shoulders, Bad Backs, Gammy Knees, Gout, Planters etc. :Boo hoo!

I do appreciate some people do have genuine problems that need accommodating, but as always it's dishonest Managers that undermine the trust within the business. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Swapping walks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

The rep, as long as he is accredited, is the "neutral" in this case, and I believe (but correct me if I am wrong) is allowed access to certain information in cases such as this, but again there are checks and balances and legal obligations and penalties in place if the rep divulges protected information.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.