ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Buying own footwear

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bobthepostie
Posts: 135
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by bobthepostie »

Finally been approved to purchase my own footwear after suffering with various issues due to RM supplied footwear. Doctor suggested a softer soled shoe.

Problem i've got is I don't know where to start. Was in Decathlon and there are so many types. Looking for a comfy trainer type with decent grip and won't wear out after a month. Always liked the Cat trainers we used to get but they were useless in the wet for grip.

For members that have bought their own i'd really appreciate some suggestions please :dance
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by woody38 »

bobthepostie wrote:Finally been approved to purchase my own footwear after suffering with various issues due to RM supplied footwear. Doctor suggested a softer soled shoe.

Problem i've got is I don't know where to start. Was in Decathlon and there are so many types. Looking for a comfy trainer type with decent grip and won't wear out after a month. Always liked the Cat trainers we used to get but they were useless in the wet for grip.

For members that have bought their own i'd really appreciate some suggestions please :dance
I, e always bought these they are not cheap but better than the old. CATs, steel toe capped so more support, wide fitting, have no problems with grip apart from the concreate drives which I do not deliver to if slippery on foot
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Footwear-Moor- ... t+trainers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cobblers_3
Posts: 26
Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 13:31
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by Cobblers_3 »

Karrimor walking shoes. Brought mine around February and still going strong. A lot lighter and more comfortable than the Royal Mail shoes which I’ve always struggled with.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by Creditshampoo »

Cobblers_3 wrote:Karrimor walking shoes. Brought mine around February and still going strong. A lot lighter and more comfortable than the Royal Mail shoes which I’ve always struggled with.
Karrimor are the best shoes I’ve ever worn for work. Absolutely incredible
cardboard13
Posts: 14
Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 19:38
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by cardboard13 »

i found these to be very good http://www.reebok.co.uk/trailgrip-6.0/BS5236.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by eastie »

I got Sketchers with memory foam, very comfortable and weigh virtually nothing and cured my heel pain . They only last about 6-8 months but you can renew after 6 months
Numberone63
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 621
Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by Numberone63 »

For personal use, not work, I have Merrell walking boots.
They are so comfortable. Best boots ever. They do walking shoes too. Pricey though. But very worth it.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by aiden01 »

bobthepostie wrote:Finally been approved to purchase my own footwear after suffering with various issues due to RM supplied footwear. Doctor suggested a softer soled shoe.

Problem i've got is I don't know where to start. Was in Decathlon and there are so many types. Looking for a comfy trainer type with decent grip and won't wear out after a month. Always liked the Cat trainers we used to get but they were useless in the wet for grip.

For members that have bought their own i'd really appreciate some suggestions please :dance
just to say you are entitled to £30 towards whatever trainers you buy personally recommend karrimoor.
bobthepostie
Posts: 135
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by bobthepostie »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, day off wed so have an idea what to look for. Aware of the £30 as well :)
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Buying own footwear

Post by DB1100 »

bobthepostie wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys, day off wed so have an idea what to look for. Aware of the £30 as well :)
I use these,no trouble at all,comfy straight off and last well; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Bodmi ... king+shoes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For we were soldiers once,and young
bertieboy
Posts: 56
Joined: 25 Jul 2010, 19:53
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by bertieboy »

Got the shoes in September, but still waiting for the £30. How long does it take for the money to be paid? Excuse after excuse is f***ing frustrating and I had to pay for the doctor's note. :arrrghhh :evil/mad
postslippete
Posts: 4197
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by postslippete »

I dont blame posties wearing their own footwear because the last shoes I wore that were provided from Royal Mail (black Doc Marten boots) almost crippled me.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by aiden01 »

bertieboy wrote:Got the shoes in September, but still waiting for the £30. How long does it take for the money to be paid? Excuse after excuse is f***ing frustrating and I had to pay for the doctor's note. :arrrghhh :evil/mad
Always get paid mine within a fortnight
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Buying own footwear

Post by crimson king »

postslippete wrote:I dont blame posties wearing their own footwear because the last shoes I wore that were provided from Royal Mail (black Doc Marten boots) almost crippled me.
I'm getting the most incredible heel pains from the RM trainers at the moment, which I'm trying to wear more as the magnum shoes I was issued are losing their tread after two months and I'm trying to save them for the slippery months...

Hobbling towards end of today, thank Christ for a day off tomorrow. Am following this thread with interest...is there a link to this £30 thingy?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Buying own footwear

Post by Shaders »

Terrible heal and Achilles pain, can’t wear their crap shoes at all.
Bought myself some Skechers, wonderful shoes, so so comfy and also water proof.
Got my £30 paid very quick.