ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by MissKazzyB »

Hi

I went to my GP yesterday & she gave me a doctors note to state that I can’t go up any stairs due to my ankle pain for 28 days

I went in this morning & sat down with my dom that was covering for today & cut a long story short she said in a roundabout way that I am on probation which as a business they are seeing if I am suitable for the job physically as it is a very demanding job. That’s what a trial is.
They have a care of duty to look at health & healthy & need to make sure that I am ok.
They put me on a duty that had no flats in it.
She also stated that they are looking at why people (obviously me) are cutting off. I explained that I have responsibilities & have to pick up my son from school. She then said that she’s been told that when people go for the interview they get asked if they are flexible especially around demanding times like Christmas & if I said I wernt flexible then I wouldn’t of been offered the job so basically I must of said I was flexible so why am I cutting off. I said I go over a lot but can’t always go over.

I then spoke to my rep who said in front of her that she shouldn’t be talking to me like that & ive got nothing to worry about as I have a permanent contract....

I have my 6 month review of n about a couple of weeks so we shall see.....TBC

P.S I never had any issues with my ankle at all before
I started working for RM
Last edited by MissKazzyB on 23 Nov 2017, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by joewyan »

6 month review?

What’s one of those? I’ve never had a review of any type! Do people have these?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by Creditshampoo »

First of all you either have a 6 month review or you are permanent. The two don’t go together. Ring HR and ask them what you are as there seems to be come confusion here.
Secondly, they’ve taken you off the flats duty which is a good start as my DOM would have just told you to go home sick.
Your rep is right she can’t soeak to you like that, overtime is optional and no one can be expected to do it.
You don’t get holiday pay accrued with your overtime so remember that too
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by Interested-seeker »

Oh dear, she is obviously trying to intimidate you. If you are on a permanent contract, you have nothing to worry about.....as long as you are careful and avoid making any mistakes. The only way they can get rid of you is if you make any massive errors/ill judgements e.g. leaving the van running when delivering. I have a feeling that your DOM will be hyper vigilant in looking out for any mistake you may or may not make over time.

It is people like me on temporary contracts who have to worry...mine runs out in April - a very quiet time of year!
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by MissKazzyB »

Even though I’m on a permanent contract - I’m sure I was told that I will have a 3 month review which I never had (Just a very small chat in the floor) nothing documented or signed then I’ll have a 6 month review to see how I’m getting on & if I’m suitable for the job. So I took that as after the 6 months they would sit me fown & tell me if I’m suitable & wether they’re keep me on or not suitable & let me go so that’s the impression I got so the reason why I’m also feeling abit anxious that I could jeopardise my job by handing in the doctors note
Last edited by MissKazzyB on 23 Nov 2017, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by Creditshampoo »

Permanent is permanent.
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by telithowitis »

Your DOM is trying to bully you. Put in a formal grievance for bullying and harassment. Best way of protecting yourself. My experience is that anyone who puts grievances in gets left alone and managers go offf and try to bully someone else.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by joewyan »

If you are on a permanent contract then they can only get rid of you through disciplinary or absence processes so don’t do anything wrong and you are safe.

You did well to get a permanent contract, most people end up on temporary contracts for the first two years at least, I know I was being renewed every 3 months.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by fishtank »

Creditshampoo wrote:Permanent is permanent.
No it's not.
Royal Mail employs most people on permanent contracts but they are still subject to a probationary 6 month period.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by peshwaarinaan »

joewyan wrote:If you are on a permanent contract then they can only get rid of you through disciplinary or absence processes so don’t do anything wrong and you are safe.

You did well to get a permanent contract, most people end up on temporary contracts for the first two years at least, I know I was being renewed every 3 months.
I was given a permanent contract after 3 months. Was very happy indeed.
zipmeister
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:37
Gender: Male

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by zipmeister »

All our new starters are on permanent contracts and they all follow the 6 monthly review process.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by Brandy »

Oh dear welcome to the world of Royal Mail and their bullying and intimidation!
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by South_London_Postie »

OP,

The amount of managers I have came across In RM just like yours never fails to amaze me.

Firstly you may have a permanent contract but that is subject to a 6 month probation period.

However I have never heard of anyone failing their probation other than, for doing something that amounts to Gross misconduct e.g stealing, fighting customers (believe it or not) or something else very serious where the powers above delivery office managers have stepped in.

To put it bluntly your manager is being an absolute ********. Using bullying tactics to try and instill fear in you, as you are making them have to actually do some work.

If you step back and think logically the whole reason she’s being an ass is she doesn’t have the staff/ skill set to accommodate your request. If she gets rid of you she will have one more staffing issue to deal with, So don’t let her empty threats phase you.

Stick to your guns do what you can. Explain and cover yourself and most importantly do everything by the book no matter how long it takes. They cannot touch you for being slow and cutting off, But they certainly can for door stepping parcels, driving dangerously etc.

All the best.
SLP
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Follow up to previous...Can I refuse a walk !

Post by Brandy »

Whenever I tell people and I do how the managers at RM spoke to and treated me they are so shocked and find it totally unbelievable and how are they able to get away with it.The trouble is they are a law unto themselves. :no no