ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
-
Glp28357
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
- Gender: Male
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
I joined RM 7 months ago as a "Postman with Driving".
On the job advert that I responded to, it stated amongst the job benefits that there were "Excellent career development opportunities".
This statement is contained in every job advert for postmen that I've seen.
Can someone please tell me what these opportunities are and if they actually exist, as I am yet to see any!
If they do exist, where can I find out further details?
I check regularly on the Success Factors site but have never seen anything on there that could be classed as a "Career development opportunity".
On the job advert that I responded to, it stated amongst the job benefits that there were "Excellent career development opportunities".
This statement is contained in every job advert for postmen that I've seen.
Can someone please tell me what these opportunities are and if they actually exist, as I am yet to see any!
If they do exist, where can I find out further details?
I check regularly on the Success Factors site but have never seen anything on there that could be classed as a "Career development opportunity".
-
Wornoutpostie
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 10 Dec 2016, 17:36
- Gender: Male
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
Only one I’ve seen is the Driver Career Path.
If accepted they will pay for you to get your Class 1 HGV licence.
If you leave within 2 years of passing your Class1, then you have to pay the costs back on a sliding scale....
Stay for over 2 years, then if you leave - then you don’t pay anything back ....
If accepted they will pay for you to get your Class 1 HGV licence.
If you leave within 2 years of passing your Class1, then you have to pay the costs back on a sliding scale....
Stay for over 2 years, then if you leave - then you don’t pay anything back ....
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4110
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
Yes if you possess the required attributes you have the opportunity to progress to a career in management.
-
Glp28357
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
- Gender: Male
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
Do you know where I can find out more information?ted_e_bear wrote:Yes if you possess the required attributes you have the opportunity to progress to a career in management.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
From a simple 'Google' -
https://www.royalmailoperations.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Take the test!!
and here:
https://www.royalmailgroup.com/careers/ ... -programme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.royalmailoperations.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Take the test!!
and here:
https://www.royalmailgroup.com/careers/ ... -programme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
lala
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 19:57
- Gender: Male
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
Dark, sinister qualities.Glp28357 wrote:ted_e_bear wrote:Yes if you possess the required attributes you have the opportunity to progress to a career in management.
Oh, and an ability to work a kettle.
-
Alexei
- Posts: 222
- Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
- Gender: Male
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
Years gone by, I often asked my manager to get more information about the engineering apprenticeship that gets advertised in the wage slips. He never did though.
Any time I've asked to be trained up on certain things to increase my skillset, I've usually been brushed aside with the excuse 'can't justify, already X people trained.'
Even with the HGV driver training a few years back. RM were only taking on drivers who required the least amount of training. Whether the information is true or not, I can't say, but the rumour was the 500(may have been less) drivers employed needed no training whatsoever.
There's always the graduate scheme of course, which requires a degree. At risk of tarring everyone with the same brush, I doubt many posties have the neccessary qualifications to apply to the scheme.
So apart from those improbable options, the most likely career development would be to manager, which incidentally, requires very little academic honours.
Any time I've asked to be trained up on certain things to increase my skillset, I've usually been brushed aside with the excuse 'can't justify, already X people trained.'
Even with the HGV driver training a few years back. RM were only taking on drivers who required the least amount of training. Whether the information is true or not, I can't say, but the rumour was the 500(may have been less) drivers employed needed no training whatsoever.
There's always the graduate scheme of course, which requires a degree. At risk of tarring everyone with the same brush, I doubt many posties have the neccessary qualifications to apply to the scheme.
So apart from those improbable options, the most likely career development would be to manager, which incidentally, requires very little academic honours.
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
You scored
20 out of 26
Your responses suggest you will be a very good match for a role in Operations.
Please go ahead and apply for a role.
Please go ahead and apply
I'm concerned there's no questions about treating your workers like s**t, or tea making skills.
Or the biggest one that should have been there is, it's 1100 your employees are out on delivery... do you
A) Go home
B) Make a drink, then go home
C) Devise a cruel lapsing plan, then go home
D) Move everyone around on Rota, then go home...
20 out of 26
Your responses suggest you will be a very good match for a role in Operations.
Please go ahead and apply for a role.
Please go ahead and apply
I'm concerned there's no questions about treating your workers like s**t, or tea making skills.
Or the biggest one that should have been there is, it's 1100 your employees are out on delivery... do you
A) Go home
B) Make a drink, then go home
C) Devise a cruel lapsing plan, then go home
D) Move everyone around on Rota, then go home...
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
You have to be able to lie through your teeth and bully and intimidate staff,then you will have a career in RM management! 
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
also be prepared to be out walking until daft o'clock when these tactics dont work and your left to cover the lapsing you fail to bully people into doingBrandy wrote:You have to be able to lie through your teeth and bully and intimidate staff,then you will have a career in RM management!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
I got 24 out of 26, but this shows the disconnect between the Corporate Image and the real world.Mobey wrote:You scored
20 out of 26
Your responses suggest you will be a very good match for a role in Operations.
Please go ahead and apply for a role.
Please go ahead and apply
I'm concerned there's no questions about treating your workers like s**t, or tea making skills.
Or the biggest one that should have been there is, it's 1100 your employees are out on delivery... do you
A) Go home
B) Make a drink, then go home
C) Devise a cruel lapsing plan, then go home
D) Move everyone around on Rota, then go home...
You can tick all the right answers, thats easy, but the management culture prevalent in RM would have scored 6 or 7 IMHO.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
I got 20 out of 26 but that's more about predicting what they expect than actually being able to do the job. 
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
Exactly right, the questions were quite straight forward and anyone with an inkling of management or common sense would score highly.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
You can tick all the right answers, thats easy, but the management culture prevalent in RM would have scored 6 or 7 IMHO.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
Oh forgot to mention you must have no compassion for your workforce whatsoever,no man management skills,sometimes want to try and be friends with the posties then you will go far as a RM manager.
I must sound very anti RM managers and I suppose I am,only through experience and the way the posties are treated,I never used to be,the job was great once.
I must sound very anti RM managers and I suppose I am,only through experience and the way the posties are treated,I never used to be,the job was great once.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
"Excellent career development opportunities" ???
Answered all the questions correctly and somehow got 24/26 ?
Of course in the real world the questions are just questions.
Of course in the real world the questions are just questions.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........