ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New PDA holder order number

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

New PDA holder order number

Post by apple »

Anyone know the order number for the new PDA holsters? the DIM got some but are the ones that go on your belt, I did tell him not to get them as I would imagine getting in and out of the van with them to be a pain, I believe they do one that can be placed in it's own holder and be worn over your shoulder like the old PDA holders, as he is off this week just thought I might get the cover to order them, just thought someone might know what it is, despite the courier saying ages ago that a few of each would be sent to each office never seen any! thanks for any help
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

New PDA holder order number

Post by scoobymunster »

If you find out please post here. There is no holsters in our office and I'd love one. :pray
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

New PDA holder order number

Post by apple »

ok so I think the order number is sl2264 8401 will try to get the cover to order them, bet the wrong ones turn up will let you know
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

New PDA holder order number

Post by CPTNemoUK »

We got both in our office. I have got the belt one which I don't use no more because they are useless. The bloody pda just falls out of it. Not used the over the shoulder one so can't comment on that one.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

New PDA holder order number

Post by crimson king »

Are these shoulder holsters actually a thing? I'd love to try one as continually resetting from ad-hoc delivery or trying to get my PDA to believe I don't want write a memo or actually cancel DUMMY 01 whatever the heck that might be is driving me batty. As soon as I put it in any pocket I hear that beep and momentarily lose the will to live.

A belt holder would be a total pain getting in and out of the van, I can see that without trying it, but a shoulder holster sounds like it might work. I've made tentative enquiries at the DO but haven't received much more of a response than the returned 'who do you think you are, James Bond?'

So, are they a thing? Does anyone here wear one? Where and how do I get one? Does it make you feel like James Bond?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

New PDA holder order number

Post by apple »

well 007, it said so in the courier, we had the belt ones, total crap for in and out the vans, we used the shoulder ones for the old pdas, they were great on collections as it gave you a free hand what with the keys mail etc, I have not seen them in the wild! or even a picture, when they were in the courier when they came out, they did say that a dozen of each would be sent to each office so you could see what they are like, never seen them, other opgs have used them and seen them so they are actually a thing! I gave the DOM the code, but be aware I was given this code and told that was it, however it might not be and who knows wtf will turn up, gave him the code some months ago and still not here, but that says nothing as we can't get big bands, delivery pouches, trolleys, htcs, they took the facility of washing the vans at the local car wash off the fuel cards so we now have a bucket and brush that has seen better days, still new year soon, I am sure that will be all sorted! lol
Jimbo2017
Posts: 33
Joined: 06 Aug 2017, 21:29
Gender: Male

New PDA holder order number

Post by Jimbo2017 »

I use over the shoulder, both Del and Collections, the PDA screen is forever touching my clothes and if they're wet then it senses a touch and does random s**t: Cancelling Route, etc etc. No end of failed scans. When it's not bouncing into me, it's bouncing into gateposts and cracking the glass.

I'd shove the PDA in my pocket: that's most convenient, but uniform's so cheaply made [crap] that the stitching fails after a month of that.
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

New PDA holder order number

Post by apple »

Jimbo2017 wrote:I use over the shoulder, both Del and Collections, the PDA screen is forever touching my clothes and if they're wet then it senses a touch and does random s**t: Cancelling Route, etc etc. No end of failed scans. When it's not bouncing into me, it's bouncing into gateposts and cracking the glass.

I'd shove the PDA in my pocket: that's most convenient, but uniform's so cheaply made [crap] that the stitching fails after a month of that.
when you say jimbo it senses a touch if your clothes are wet, you can put the thing to sleep with the power button, just thought you might not know, yes the other ones used to bounce around a bit, only tended to use the over the shoulder on collections, I too just stick it in me pocket, the thing is now it's never bloody in there with the amount of scanning needed now, so would use it on delivery as well, if only I could get one!! lol
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

New PDA holder order number

Post by crimson king »

I make no apologies for thread resurrection!

We were issued with these last week! Some manager we'd never seen before (or since, come to that) came round and plonked one on our frames, said 'there you go' and disappeared to whence he came from. No foreplay, instructions or what they were, just in like Flint and out again. After several jokes about bondage gear etc we worked out they were PDA shoulder holsters.

Most of the posties chucked them to one side with what can only be termed as disparaging comments, but I gave mine a go. After ten minutes working out how to put it in, I was strapped and ready to go, lol.

Verdict? It'll be useless in the rain, but I like it. Saves straining the pockets of my shorts. Couple of embarrassing moments so far though, resulting in being attached to it when getting a signature:

1. Almost pulled over the bar of the public house on my duty.
2. Almost being pulled into an ample cleavage.

I have learned to:

A take it off when in scenarios of the first example.
B shorten the strap when in scenarios of the second example. :whistle
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

New PDA holder order number

Post by Celgar »

Set the length of the strap so the PDA hangs about in line where the belt holding your trousers up are and you should be fine for collecting signatures without falling into cleavage etc.

I did find the shoulder holster worked very well and I would recommend its use with one proviso. Use of the holster by myself did result in a double cyst at the top of my back which I opted to be removed under general anesthetic at hospital, nearly two weeks of work on sick and over two months of having dressings changed mostly daily by a nurse. So if it's use appears to be causing you skin irritation I would stop using it.

Regarding rain and the PDA getting wet the official line is this causes the PDA to play up or breakdown. In my experience something else is causing this and it does seem to be probably software but maybe hardware related. It usually means the signatures will not get submitted and the only way to clear it is to fully turn the PDA off then back on again.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

New PDA holder order number

Post by twoloops »

I would think these belts & strap PDA holders can only be used if your pushing or pulling a trolley? Because I'm a spare & I've usually got someone else's PDA first thing I do is remove the battery & dump the strap & pen & chuck the PDA in my pocket.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

New PDA holder order number

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Right then,

I've both the belt clip-on holster and the shoulder strap holster, and it's the belt version I've used all the time. I like it a lot. I'm not one for shoving the PDA into my jacket pocket, especially as summer is almost upon us when I'll just be wearing a blue shirt and pocketless hi-viz vest. (The PDA is too heavy to pop it into my pants pocket.)

I used to use my own zipper waist pouch (bum bag) in the past, but the belt holster that was given to me by our office admin saved the hassle of that bulky waist pouch. As far as the shoulder version is concerned, I haven't tried mine out, but I'm not so sure I'm interested in doing so. Slinging a carry pouch full of letters and small parcels is about enough for my shoulder to worry about without adding a PDA shoulder holster. I've only seen one other postie in our office using one - and that was weeks ago.

I see that the holster model is no longer on SystemsLink's web catalog, and no other replacement model to SL2219 (the one I have) appears there. Same with the shoulder model SL2264. No longer available nor any updated version on http://www.systemslink.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
PDA Holster.jpg
SL2219
PDA Sholder Harness.jpg
SL2264

There are other holster models available online that include a flap cover to protect the PDA from rain. And they're quite snazzy looking to wear, too. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.