ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Manager home visit

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cavendish9027
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Jun 2012, 18:30
Gender: Male

Manager home visit

Post by cavendish9027 »

I was off work Tuesday to Friday. Went back Sat, Mon Nd wed. Day off Tuesday. Went in Thursday spent most of the time on the toilet then nearly fainted out on the dock. Told manger and went home. About an hour after getting there. He phoned me Friday after I messaged in saying I won't be back till after the weekend. He asked me to text his mobile Sunday to let him know if i can come back Monday as it will have been 4 days. I explained I went to docs they told me I had Norovirus and suspected appendicitis and sent me for blood tests. He questioned why I went for blood test if. I had Norovirus. Checking times and doctors.
He has text me back saying we wants to come and visit me at home to check up on me as it's procedure. I have only been off work 5 days (tomorrow) does he have the right to do this.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Manager home visit

Post by doorstepped »

No.
you have given your explination and he has to accept it.

you self certificate between 3 - 7 days so you don't even need to have seen a doctor.

if he arrives, take a picture and then put in a greivence stage 2 against him.

I have also just been off with Norovirus and I took 5 days off, my DOM was superb with it all. Shame they can't all be the same.
nuns
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Manager home visit

Post by nuns »

might bring you a mcdonald's
midegarelu
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 414
Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 07:09
Gender: Male
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Manager home visit

Post by midegarelu »

Let him in.
Make him coffee and bacon sarnies.
Pass it on.


:funneh :wave :wave
"We employ you so we can sack you"
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Manager home visit

Post by BeamishStout »

midegarelu wrote:Let him in.
Make him coffee and bacon sarnies.
Pass it on.


:funneh :wave :wave
Don't forget to cough profusely (without using hankie), then shake his/her hand. See the look on their face when you tell them 'yes it appears to have been Norovirus......
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Manager home visit

Post by joewyan »

NO they have no right at all to visit you at home whilst you are off sick. You have followed procedure and reported it. If they come to visit then it is harassment. Make sure you tell them no it’s not ok.
cavendish9027
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Jun 2012, 18:30
Gender: Male

Manager home visit

Post by cavendish9027 »

He is claiming it is because I'm am booked off on annual leave from Wednesday so he needs to meet me so he can decide if I'm off on sickness or annual leave
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Manager home visit

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

cavendish9027 wrote:He is claiming it is because I'm am booked off on annual leave from Wednesday so he needs to meet me so he can decide if I'm off on sickness or annual leave

He can't decide only you can :left: :left:

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If an employee is ill just before or during their holiday, they can take it as sick leave instead.

An employee can ask to take their paid holiday for the time they’re off work sick. They might do this if they don’t qualify for sick pay, for example. Any rules relating to sick leave will still apply.

Employers can’t force employees to take annual leave when they’re eligible for sick leave.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
walkthewalk
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Gender: Male

Manager home visit

Post by walkthewalk »

My advice would be to tell him NO to visiting you.
If you feel obligated to a visit so there is no come back on you for when returning to work ensure your union steward comes with him if your Union steward cannot attend record his visit so you have proof everything he says.
Get well soon
cavendish9027
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Jun 2012, 18:30
Gender: Male

Manager home visit

Post by cavendish9027 »

Decided to respond with

I'm off work sick, I really could do without the harassment.

I'm preparing myself for the backlash when I go back but at the moment my health is my priority
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Manager home visit

Post by bmccoll »

I was a way so missed this. If he is adamamant about a home visit, let him turn up. Then don't answer the door as you are too ill to get to it. Then record a grievance on your return to work. P***ks!
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Manager home visit

Post by Mobey »

Send them a stool sample!! :thumbup
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32798
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Manager home visit

Post by POSTMAN »

Keeping in contact
• Keeping in regular contact is important if you’re unfortunate enough to be ill and cannot attend work.
Your manager will work with you to scope alternative duties and hours of attendance, where available, to
help you resume work as early as possible.
• It is important that you and your manager are proactive in maintaining contact during a period of
absence due to illness. The contact strategy should be agreed between you and your manager, which
will include the date, time and method for the next contact.
• Contact with your manager should be supportive rather than threat-centred.If contact is not maintained
and therefore stoppage of pay is being considered, your manager should use the jointly agreed approach
in the Attendance policy and Absence notification and maintaining contact guide.

Attendance Summary

NATIONAL ATTENDANCE PROCEDURE
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Manager home visit

Post by feduppostie »

sounds like he thinks as you are on leave after Weds you have gone away early

tell him yes you can come round

this is what I did when i really needed a few days to visit my dying grandad and did not get them, then came down with the worst flu of my life 2 days before the time I wanted off

they rang me and said can we come and see you - they obviously thought I had beggared of as I couldn't get leave but I had not I was actually ill

told them to come over anytime they wanted but to be aware I was infectious - they never came - I never heard anything about it again

sadly I also missed seeing my grandad for the last time :-(
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Manager home visit

Post by DirtyHarry »

Some of these managers are right morons. He has no right to turn up on your doorstep uninvited, no right at all.
If, and when he does, take out a grievance. What he will have done would amount to harassment.
You have followed procedure, that is enough.