ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas Tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

Christmas Tips

Post by MissKazzyB »

I’ve heard from the guys in my office that the Christmas tips on our area is normally really good however because I’m a reserve, I don’t have a regular duty.
There is a couple of duties that I’ve done where customers know my face & ask where I’ve been.

So the question I’m asking is....If I’m out on a duty & there’s a tip or gift left outside to be given to the postman/postwoman or hand given - Do I pass it onto the normal postie that does that duty or to I accept it ????
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by mickeymacca »

If it's given to you, keep it. If it's given to you to pass on, pass it on.
'Libraries gave us power'
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Christmas Tips

Post by Lounge Lizard »

But if it's addressed to "the regular postman" offer it to him. :thumbup
In such circumstances I have appreciated the reserve's honesty and said "no, you have the money". :thumbup
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Postie45 »

if theres a regular postie on that duty and someone leaves a tip outside as you describe, i think its implied its for the regular not the cover postie
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Christmas Tips

Post by Judgee »

Lounge Lizard wrote:But if it's addressed to "the regular postman" offer it to him. :thumbup
In such circumstances I have appreciated the reserve's honesty and said "no, you have the money". :thumbup
Same here. Although we all work for RM and no doubt all work hard, it's the regulars who have to try and keep the public happy and apologise when everything goes pear shaped, It's usually the duty holders that knock on neighbours doors and make an extra effort to get things right. Your time will come, when you get your own round would you want a reserve covering your walk for a week to pocket your tips?

As above, mention it to the regular postie and he/she will most likely appreciate your honesty and tell you to keep it!

To be honest it is rare for a cover postie to get tips. Most Customers build a rapport up with their regular postie before they tip them. I spent three years as a reserve and got one £5. That was on a round with no duty holder and I had covered it for the whole three weeks of Christmas! :nana
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

If you're told to give it to the " regular postie " then hand it to them , when colleagues have handed over a Xmas tip meant for me I've always split it 50/50 because of they're honesty
RandyBeanz
Posts: 44
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 22:30
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by RandyBeanz »

You should give it to normal postie. But the normal postie should give the leave reserves and floater a share of their tips
trix138
Posts: 13
Joined: 24 Oct 2013, 14:56
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by trix138 »

I always have the same person cover my walk when I'm on holiday, so I give them a percentage of my tips every year
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by joewyan »

If it’s given to you personally then keep it. If it’s left outside then offer it to the regular postie as it’s most likely for them. If they are decent and you regularly cover that route they will likely share it with you. Sadly as a reserve tips are few and far between so don’t get too hopeful. Your time will come if you stay with Royal Mail.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by robbertwhitton »

We pool all our tips and share them out equally which I have to say doesn’t sit well with me at times,am lucky I have my rural round and am well appreciated at xmas,I am forever having to put my round back in order after I have leave despite training people how I do the roundcetc,but they always seem to want to do it different and not go the extra mile for the customer and still expect there share at xmas,
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Christmas Tips

Post by clashcityrocker »

robbertwhitton wrote:We pool all our tips and share them out equally,
Sounds like communism to me.
Is your DO in Cuba?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by wannabeek »

Pooling tips? So it means lazy, rude posties (surely you have them?) get the same tips as ones who really genuinely go to a level of extra effort for people on their round? I can't comprehend that.

Way back before I had this job I had a postie once, the regular, who was always really grumpy and continually threw up the gravel on our drive as he blasted away. The cover was a nice cheerful guy and I made sure I tipped only him at xmas.

I really hope that money never went into a tips pool.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Christmas Tips

Post by k979aaa »

clashcityrocker wrote:
robbertwhitton wrote:We pool all our tips and share them out equally,
Sounds like communism to me.
Is your DO in Cuba?
Is your's in New York kind of wall street area?
Matt123
Posts: 45
Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 20:12
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Matt123 »

Keep it ...I'm gonna
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Christmas Tips

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Pooling tips isn't fair.
A postman that does the job properly and finishes roughly on time probably deserves their £500 of tips and a dozen bottles of wine. :thumbup
A postman that tears round like a blue arsed fly, doorsteps parcels and otherwise cuts corners to regularly finish early can't expect anything like that. :thumbdown