ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
-
Mgmrfc
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 27 Feb 2014, 09:48
- Gender: Male
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
In our office there is a duty holder, 35 hour town walk. He always claims his duty is too big and is always on doms back about it. I’m part time 20hr and was scheduled this week for a full time,39hr rural duty. Came in on sat morning to find it was now changed and I’ve been swapped to accommodate the complaining 35hr guy. What’s the rules surrounding this? Can a dom just do this to please one member of staff. Also what is the rules around going over, I’ve never not finished a delivery but I’m determined to not go over my time in this duty as a point of principle.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
A DOM can move anyone he wants.
Everyone works at different speeds. The fact you wanna rush around a delivery in some pathetic attempt to smear a fellow OPG is a disgrace to be honest.
Everyone works at different speeds. The fact you wanna rush around a delivery in some pathetic attempt to smear a fellow OPG is a disgrace to be honest.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
Where does he say he is going to do that?Creditshampoo wrote: The fact you wanna rush around a delivery in some pathetic attempt to smear a fellow OPG is a disgrace to be honest.
He is asking for the over-running procedure precisely because he is NOT going to do that.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
The rule is, go to see the manager as soon as it becomes apparent that you will not complete. Certainly before you leave the office. Explain that it is clear you will be unable to complete and you have no desire to work overtime. Ask him what he wants you to leave behind. In my experience it would be something like the top row or the last two loops. There may be an element of negotiation. He might want you to leave 20 minutes worth behind whereas you might think you need to leave an hour behind.Mgmrfc wrote:. Also what is the rules around going over, I’ve never not finished a delivery but I’m determined to not go over my time in this duty as a point of principle.
Explain that you will need to leave the duty at xx.xxpm in order to get back to the office for xx.xxpm in order to finish at xx.xxpm (your actual finish time). You need to take into account travelling time and whatever time you think you will need back at the office in order to sort bags, trollies, P739's and other returns etc.
It might be a good idea to see the union rep first. In my office he would make sure you have no issues and are happy before he himself leaves the office.
-
Mgmrfc
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 27 Feb 2014, 09:48
- Gender: Male
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
Thanks for the info. We don’t have a union rep in our office but I will speak to dom before I go out on delivery.NewPostieUK wrote:The rule is, go to see the manager as soon as it becomes apparent that you will not complete. Certainly before you leave the office. Explain that it is clear you will be unable to complete and you have no desire to work overtime. Ask him what he wants you to leave behind. In my experience it would be something like the top row or the last two loops. There may be an element of negotiation. He might want you to leave 20 minutes worth behind whereas you might think you need to leave an hour behind.Mgmrfc wrote:. Also what is the rules around going over, I’ve never not finished a delivery but I’m determined to not go over my time in this duty as a point of principle.
Explain that you will need to leave the duty at xx.xxpm in order to get back to the office for xx.xxpm in order to finish at xx.xxpm (your actual finish time). You need to take into account travelling time and whatever time you think you will need back at the office in order to sort bags, trollies, P739's and other returns etc.
It might be a good idea to see the union rep first. In my office he would make sure you have no issues and are happy before he himself leaves the office.
-
Mgmrfc
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 27 Feb 2014, 09:48
- Gender: Male
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
So just to update. I went in and done my seven hours and cut off. Was met by dom on my return who has announced the duty is now being paid 8hours a day. You gotta laugh.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=18563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; OVERRUNNING DELIVERIES OPG NOTIFICATION PROCEDURE
check out this thread - there are other pertinent posts as well.
check out this thread - there are other pertinent posts as well.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
magicw
- Posts: 111
- Joined: 11 May 2013, 14:50
- Gender: Male
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
Why Laugh? Sounds like the duty holder consistently said he could not complete the duty on time. So they moved him and put you on it. Now you haven't completed the duty on time and they' ve added time to it. Seems like the duty holder was right! Putting you on it to test it probably wasn't the right way to do it, but at the end of the day time has been added to the duty. So that's a result.
Worse thing in the World is when you ve been moved onto a duty that a couple of Runners who come in Early do and then the DOM looks at you when you say you cant complete it! Worse still when after a few months the runners pick another duty ( to feck up ) and its left without a revision or test.
Worse thing in the World is when you ve been moved onto a duty that a couple of Runners who come in Early do and then the DOM looks at you when you say you cant complete it! Worse still when after a few months the runners pick another duty ( to feck up ) and its left without a revision or test.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
Well done.Mgmrfc wrote:So just to update. I went in and done my seven hours and cut off.
Just wondering, how does 7 hours a day work when you are on a 20 hr contract?
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
Strange thread.
20hr guy was going to be put on a 39hr duty presumably working 19hrs overtime.
Instead 20hr guy gets put on 35hr duty but doesn't want to go over?
Am I missing something?
20hr guy was going to be put on a 39hr duty presumably working 19hrs overtime.
Instead 20hr guy gets put on 35hr duty but doesn't want to go over?
Am I missing something?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
Yes, you missed the bold part :)
Mgmrfc wrote:In our office there is a duty holder, 35 hour town walk. He always claims his duty is too big and is always on doms back about it. I’m part time 20hr and was scheduled this week for a full time,39hr rural duty. Came in on sat morning to find it was now changed and I’ve been swapped to accommodate the complaining 35hr guy. What’s the rules surrounding this? Can a dom just do this to please one member of staff. Also what is the rules around going over, I’ve never not finished a delivery but I’m determined to not go over my time in this duty as a point of principle.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
I didn't miss that part.
I missed what the point (of principle) was.
I missed what the point (of principle) was.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Mgmrfc
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 27 Feb 2014, 09:48
- Gender: Male
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
The point of the thread was to ask if duty holder can be moved around for no obvious reason and to ask where I stand with regards to refusing to go over. On a side note 35 hour guy gets consistent 35hrs with rotating day off. Me being the 20hour guy relies on the chance of the 39 hour week to help build my wages up, but that’s another issue and not the point of this thread.fishtank wrote:Strange thread.
20hr guy was going to be put on a 39hr duty presumably working 19hrs overtime.
Instead 20hr guy gets put on 35hr duty but doesn't want to go over?
Am I missing something?
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
The way I see it is......fishtank wrote:Strange thread.
20hr guy was going to be put on a 39hr duty presumably working 19hrs overtime.
Instead 20hr guy gets put on 35hr duty but doesn't want to go over?
Am I missing something?
He's being moved to the more difficult duty (with less hours) because the duty holder has had a whinge! He who shouts loudest gets their way in RM!!
He's decided (out of principle and stubbornness) to only do the hours the duty has allocated to it!
TBH if I was him I'd only be working the 20hrs!!
-
Mgmrfc
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 27 Feb 2014, 09:48
- Gender: Male
Duty holding not willing to do his duty.
Apparently 4hours per day with 3hours ot.NewPostieUK wrote:Well done.Mgmrfc wrote:So just to update. I went in and done my seven hours and cut off.
Just wondering, how does 7 hours a day work when you are on a 20 hr contract?