ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
-
EvO_uk
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
Hi All,
If possible I would like to get some colleagues opinions regarding the 70 hour working limit,
I am currently on a six day attendance with a rest week or wallington week as some know it, generally over the past several years If I have no plans for my week off,
I volunteer to work overtime (rarely the whole week, xmas pressure excluded, maybe 3 or 4 days). I am approaching my week off and as usual made my availability to work
known to the staffing office, I was told I can now only do 23 hours, even though they are desperate to cover duties and need me to work as much as possible
I was told however, If I go back to a 5 day pattern with a rotating day off, Its possible to work every day off.
So basically, during a 6 week rotation I can currently only work approx' 2 and half days but Joe Bloggs on his 5 day attendance can work 6 days overtime?
This seems to me as an obvious case of discrimination, Our Rep' however says not, I would hope our union would be protecting all our earning potential,
and ensuring we are all treated 'fairly', perhaps I am missing something here, but as yet I fail to see the difference in our total hours worked.
I look forward to reading any responses from other offices as other guys where I am can't understand it either.
Cheers.
If possible I would like to get some colleagues opinions regarding the 70 hour working limit,
I am currently on a six day attendance with a rest week or wallington week as some know it, generally over the past several years If I have no plans for my week off,
I volunteer to work overtime (rarely the whole week, xmas pressure excluded, maybe 3 or 4 days). I am approaching my week off and as usual made my availability to work
known to the staffing office, I was told I can now only do 23 hours, even though they are desperate to cover duties and need me to work as much as possible
I was told however, If I go back to a 5 day pattern with a rotating day off, Its possible to work every day off.
So basically, during a 6 week rotation I can currently only work approx' 2 and half days but Joe Bloggs on his 5 day attendance can work 6 days overtime?
This seems to me as an obvious case of discrimination, Our Rep' however says not, I would hope our union would be protecting all our earning potential,
and ensuring we are all treated 'fairly', perhaps I am missing something here, but as yet I fail to see the difference in our total hours worked.
I look forward to reading any responses from other offices as other guys where I am can't understand it either.
Cheers.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
It's bullshit. You don't get paid for your day off or your week off if you're on a 6 day attendance pattern. On your week off you could potentially work 70 hrs overtime if you wanted to because you have no basic hours that week.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
the trooper
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 16:20
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
Thought it was illegal to work your holidays as it was classed as ghost overtime.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
If you're not too far from your local MC, maybe consider working your wally week there
-
EvO_uk
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
It's not actually working through a holiday, most people work 5 days a week (usually with a rotating day off, Monday off on week 1, Tuesday off on week 2 etc.)the trooper wrote:Thought it was illegal to work your holidays as it was classed as ghost overtime.
instead of having a day off every week (which can be worked as overtime) some of us 'bank' a day to give a week off every 6th week. The hours worked are equal on average.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
Due to the way the wally week works, RM would believe you are working 39 hours each week whether you are at work or on the week off. Therefore my understanding is that you could work 30 hours overtime on either your weeks in or week off to take you up to the maximum hours.
-
nickbsmooth
- Posts: 279
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: South East
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
I work a 6day week and rarely work another 2-3hrs a week overtime,I'm exhausted.
I couldn't imagine doing 70hrs at my work rate.
If you signed that document to say you'd be willing to exceed 48hrs a week then you can work 70hrs. I think there is some law that states you must have a certain amount of time between shifts though.
I couldn't imagine doing 70hrs at my work rate.
If you signed that document to say you'd be willing to exceed 48hrs a week then you can work 70hrs. I think there is some law that states you must have a certain amount of time between shifts though.
-
panch1989
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
We had this in our office a few months ago. DOM got our things changed with HR to show we work 6 days a week so it didnt effect our week off doing OT.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
they are trying to get you off your wallington week. they did to us except they used underhand tactics to achieve it. if you can keep yours then keep it. they will ask you to work if they need you. don't give in.
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
I agree with daveyeff they started this shortly before we lost our 6 day attendance pattern - they want to make it so it is no longer worth it
What they are trying to say is because you get paid 39 hours you can only do so much o/t or you are breaking regulations
I suggest you point them to your work pattern on PSP which clearly shows you work 0 hours for that week so have no restrictions on that week, see what they say then
we did try all this but we still lost the 6 day work pattern though - good luck
What they are trying to say is because you get paid 39 hours you can only do so much o/t or you are breaking regulations
I suggest you point them to your work pattern on PSP which clearly shows you work 0 hours for that week so have no restrictions on that week, see what they say then
we did try all this but we still lost the 6 day work pattern though - good luck
-
Gummage
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 15:37
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
Last edited by Gummage on 12 Feb 2018, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy wizzy, let's get busy!
-
Gummage
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 15:37
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
Last edited by Gummage on 12 Feb 2018, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy wizzy, let's get busy!
-
gunho
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
This is the problem with RM. So many offices on different work patterns, no two offices the same so causes big confusion, I work 3weeks on 1week off but always work my rest week
-
Strong bull
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 17 May 2012, 10:34
- Gender: Male
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
Mean whistle I bet p/t ers have no chance of getting there hours increased or anyone can get a day off in 6 months time due to people working all their days off so no further staff or increase in contracted hours for p/t staff are required.EvO_uk wrote:Hi All,
If possible I would like to get some colleagues opinions regarding the 70 hour working limit,
I am currently on a six day attendance with a rest week or wallington week as some know it, generally over the past several years If I have no plans for my week off,
I volunteer to work overtime (rarely the whole week, xmas pressure excluded, maybe 3 or 4 days). I am approaching my week off and as usual made my availability to work
known to the staffing office, I was told I can now only do 23 hours, even though they are desperate to cover duties and need me to work as much as possible
I was told however, If I go back to a 5 day pattern with a rotating day off, Its possible to work every day off.
So basically, during a 6 week rotation I can currently only work approx' 2 and half days but Joe Bloggs on his 5 day attendance can work 6 days overtime?
This seems to me as an obvious case of discrimination, Our Rep' however says not, I would hope our union would be protecting all our earning potential,
and ensuring we are all treated 'fairly', perhaps I am missing something here, but as yet I fail to see the difference in our total hours worked.
I look forward to reading any responses from other offices as other guys where I am can't understand it either.
Cheers.
Sometimes I wonder if people have lives outside this company. Rest days are for resting,spending time with family,hobbies etc etc
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Overtime capped because of 6 day attendance pattern
Well said strong bull. Up here in Glasgow I see Postie's on their days off wearing uniform. 