ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by postiewhite »

Im on a PT contract and for the past few years in Nov/Dec Ive always done afternoon xmas packets starting around 1pm til 7pm instead of a walk but now I have my own duty I was asked today if I was to come off my duty and to be given a temp full time contract and could also get me SA payments but that would be a Monday to Friday, every saturday off but it would be on an afternoon doing packets. Ive sort of vowed this year not to work afternoons because I actually find doing 100+ packets a day a lot more knackering than doing a round and in reality I would probably get full time hours anyway by clearing my own packets at xmas so is this just a managers tactic to make a "temp FT contract plus SA payments" sound better than it actually is??? And is SA an increase on our hourly rate and if so how much more is it per week based on full time?

Also what is your preference, a duty or afternoon xmas packets with a guaranteed Saturday off?
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by Rumple »

Saturdays off? Take it.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Very tempting just think at Christmas you will get sat, sun mon and tues off. Plus after Christmas you will be back on your duty. So if your lucky you will have a very short week depending when your day off falls.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by Judgee »

Saturdays off definitely. Also working afternoons you can go down the pub every night and still sober up in time for work! :nana
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by Dexydog »

Not a good idea, someone is going to mop up your tips.
I did this last year and didn't see a penny, despite being very friendly with a lot of customers on my walk.
Already been asked and no chance am I doing it again.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Dexydog wrote:Not a good idea, someone is going to mop up your tips.
I did this last year and didn't see a penny, despite being very friendly with a lot of customers on my walk.
Already been asked and no chance am I doing it again.
But what will work out more SA payments or Tips. How generous or the people on his round.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by eastie »

RM have cancelled our usual hire vans we get at Christmas to do the large parcels in and are expecting the 25 hour part time staff to use the vans after delivery finish their rounds.
The problem is going to be that the office is run by a lot of stupid people coming in early to make their rounds achievable but as the office has O/T for sorting for 2 hours in the morning for the 2 weeks before Xmas these early starters will now be starting at their proper start time. Cue everyone finishing later and going over and no vans for parcel delivery.
You can just see it happening :arrrghhh
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by postiewhite »

To be honest ive done the last 4 years of afternoon packets and I got less overtime doing that then I would do any other normal week because they had me starting at 1pm until 7pm (6hrs a day). This time iam offered a temp full time contract but thinking about it I think doing in excess of 120 packets a day (half in the dark) is more knackering than doing a morning duty. I dont think the full time contract is a tempter really because im sure if I stuck to my duty id get the extra hrs anyway. Its a toss up between getting a guaranteed saturday off for 6 weeks (doing pkts) or finishing at a reasonable time for 6wks and not getting a guaranteed saturday off if I was to choose to stick to my own walk. I also heard the SA payments are only about 30p an hour extra but none of this is confirmed.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by wannabeek »

I'm never tempted by SA rate. It's only a bit higher than normal rate and there's no paid break allowance in SA hours.

I've never understood why it's used as an incentive to work extra hours at xmas cos I don't think it really is.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

wannabeek wrote:I'm never tempted by SA rate. It's only a bit higher than normal rate and there's no paid break allowance in SA hours.

I've never understood why it's used as an incentive to work extra hours at xmas cos I don't think it really is.
It used to be an incentive because they offered set SA hours over Christmas in some units but posties rarely worked the full shift or even went over. It was used as a sort of Please don't cut off bonus.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
matt_1983
Posts: 39
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 08:39
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by matt_1983 »

SA is one of those terms that ive heard so many times in my years at Royal Mail but never understood what it actually is. I know it stands for scheduled attendance, but what does that mean???
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by Navalron »

I know I've been out of the job for several years now but I can not believe some of these posts and others of how staff these days don't seem to know about scheduled attendance (SA) night duty allowance (NDA) meal relief(MRE) ect ect. I know some have changed but surely all the old boys haven't all left. The doms must be getting away with murder if the guys don't even know what o/t rate their on. Ffs where is the union. The offices sound like ball breaking camps now. So sad.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by wannabeek »

Normal overtime in RM is voluntary. SA isn't.

By signing up for a Scheduled Attendance from, for example, 4pm to 7pm, you have to do that overtime, whereas normal overtime you can just say no to if you want to be elsewhere instead.

In real life though, many would do 3 hrs or so of SA at the slightly higher rate knowing full well that the compensation for that slight increase in pay rate is that the work required is often just sitting in a van for a large part of it, and maybe being able to knock off 20mins early when the last lorry departs.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by robbertwhitton »

Your lucky it’s just packets,colleagues being told to do part of failed delivery whilst on sa collections,they said they wouldn’t do it,he said come off sa collections then,priceless piece of man management,,,
antcpfc
Posts: 629
Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 17:25

Asking to do afternoon packets instead of a duty with SA payments.

Post by antcpfc »

Can you be moved of your permanent duty at Xmas to do a different one? I am quite happy doing my own but they want to put me on a packet duty.
Slider tool. Lol.