ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hernia operation in 2 weeks

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Deet
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Jul 2014, 20:52
Gender: Male

Hernia operation in 2 weeks

Post by Deet »

Can anyone clear up a query I have. I found out today that I am scheduled for hernia surgery on the 2nd November. I believe I will be given a sick note for at least 3 weeks on leaving hospital. I have a weeks annual leave booked for the week after the operation, when I will be on sick leave. Will I get this week back?. Cheers for any advice.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Hernia operation in 2 weeks

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Deet wrote:Can anyone clear up a query I have. I found out today that I am scheduled for hernia surgery on the 2nd November. I believe I will be given a sick note for at least 3 weeks on leaving hospital. I have a weeks annual leave booked for the week after the operation, when I will be on sick leave. Will I get this week back?. Cheers for any advice.
I was off with a hernia operation a couple of years ago and I had a week off while I was off sick. Has long the sick note clashes with your week you will get it back I got mine back. Also don't rush back you could do yourself some damage. I had 4 weeks off and 6 weeks light duties just take it easy. Good luck :thumbup
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Hernia operation in 2 weeks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yes - you can't be on annual leave and sick leave at the same time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Hernia operation in 2 weeks

Post by number one »

Yes you get the week back, you need to tell your manager about it though as they have to manually change it. They have a habit of “forgetting” then you get into an argument about it. Hope the op goes well and whatever you do DO NOT rush back to work. It will be 6-8 weeks before you should be back on normal duties at the least.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Hernia operation in 2 weeks

Post by Nigel1505 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes - you can't be on annual leave and sick leave at the same time.

Quite right. :wave
Deet
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Jul 2014, 20:52
Gender: Male

Hernia operation in 2 weeks

Post by Deet »

Thanks for all your help. I'm going to give the manager the good news tomorrow! :dance