ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Van idle to long
-
Your late today
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
Manager told me today my van has been idling for over 3 minuets at delivery points, I’m on a rural only round and when on a farmyard i don’t turn the engine off sometimes the farmer comes out to have a chat and you can lose 5 minuets easy I don’t go over my hours or book overtime so can’t see a problem but he says it’s fuel consumption and safety of vehicle according to the tracker they think I’m not with the van. I say it costs more to turn on and off and wear on starter motor they spend to much time looking at trackers than the actual job and place we are driving. Rant over.
-
knockoffnigel
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
Have you got a "trimble" device fitted in van??Your late today wrote:Manager told me today my van has been idling for over 3 minuets at delivery points, I’m on a rural only round and when on a farmyard i don’t turn the engine off sometimes the farmer comes out to have a chat and you can lose 5 minuets easy I don’t go over my hours or book overtime so can’t see a problem but he says it’s fuel consumption and safety of vehicle according to the tracker they think I’m not with the van. I say it costs more to turn on and off and wear on starter motor they spend to much time looking at trackers than the actual job and place we are driving. Rant over.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
Just switch it off, i know it costs more but if that's what they want then so be it.
-
Your late today
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
Yes got a Trimble fitted that’s how he knows how long I am stopped for
-
Downeagle
- Posts: 68
- Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 08:30
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
I've had one fitted recently and am waiting for my first report. The day after a chat explaining what it does had all sorts talking no to me and I'm thinking if I turn the engine off I'll be here all day.
At the end of my run went to a door, handed over the parcel and the woman was telling me how ill her brother in law is, all I could think about was turning off the engine but that would've been rude.
At the end of my run went to a door, handed over the parcel and the woman was telling me how ill her brother in law is, all I could think about was turning off the engine but that would've been rude.
-
lala
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 19:57
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
And how much fuel is wasted regenerating the fiat vans?!
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Van idle to long
how can they take these serious when they go red and beep when you go around a roundabout ?
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
Downeagle wrote:I've had one fitted recently and am waiting for my first report. The day after a chat explaining what it does had all sorts talking no to me and I'm thinking if I turn the engine off I'll be here all day.
At the end of my run went to a door, handed over the parcel and the woman was telling me how ill her brother in law is, all I could think about was turning off the engine but that would've been rude.
If you went to a customers door then why had you left the van running? Asking for trouble.
-
knockoffnigel
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
They can be a pain, what they think of as harsh braking, or hard acceleration, is what we would probably think of as everyday, normal use, such as pulling out at a roundabout, when theres only a small "window" to get out, or you'll be sat there all day!! They certainly don't like taking roundabouts at anything more than a crawl!!
Annoying as they can be, we have actually saved around 10%+ fuel-wise, not having to fill up for an extra couple of days, if we can drive so the trimble doesn't beep much....... so I guess they do "work" to a certain extent!
They are mainly about fuel consumption, but will also flag up for speeding, though they aren't supposed to be used as a disciplinary tool, or so we were told!!
Annoying as they can be, we have actually saved around 10%+ fuel-wise, not having to fill up for an extra couple of days, if we can drive so the trimble doesn't beep much....... so I guess they do "work" to a certain extent!
They are mainly about fuel consumption, but will also flag up for speeding, though they aren't supposed to be used as a disciplinary tool, or so we were told!!
-
Anonymouse
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
A few in my office got pulled up for idleing as well.
The beeping is annoying. Can't get round roundabouts or turn into farm roads off the main road without it beeping. Can it not complain in silence?
The beeping is annoying. Can't get round roundabouts or turn into farm roads off the main road without it beeping. Can it not complain in silence?
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
Christ I wish I could talk to customers for 5 minutes at a time and never go over my time 
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
If he's like a rural at our place he gets 20 mins break out on delivery and can use it how he likes. If he wants to use it up chatting to someone then what's the problem?
I'd turn the van off tho personally - I think it's rude to keep it running while talking.
I'd turn the van off tho personally - I think it's rude to keep it running while talking.
-
bmccoll
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
It's not your vehicle. If it was my car, I'd leave it running to avoid wearing out the starter.
-
Alexei
- Posts: 222
- Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
Beeps very rarely with myself. Mostly pulling out at a busy roundabout when there is a small opportunity to get out, and that's the only time. But leaving a van running is definitely asking for trouble.
Maybe i'm just lucky, or maybe I just drive the exact way trimble says I should
Maybe i'm just lucky, or maybe I just drive the exact way trimble says I should
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Van idle to long
How many times a day are you usually ''losing 5 minutes'' chatting to customers?
You must be very unfortunate if this was a one off isolated incident and they've observed it and pulled you in about it?
You must be very unfortunate if this was a one off isolated incident and they've observed it and pulled you in about it?