ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do I need a union rep with me?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
debs6363
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 23:10
Gender: Female

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by debs6363 »

I am off sick at the moment, post op, with osteoarthritis. I have requested ill health retirement. I got a call today from DOM who has sent me out a letter today with a payment offer. He suggested that I go into the office later in the week to go through paperwork and sign forms to finalise it. I was just wondering if it's just that straightforward or if I need union representation?
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Best to have union rep with you.
debs6363
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 23:10
Gender: Female

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by debs6363 »

The only problem with that, Lounge Lizard, is that we have no rep in our office and its easier to catch a fart in a colander than get hold of our area rep! I text him and left him a voicemail about my ill health retirement 2 months ago, and I'm still waiting for him to reply :arrrghhh
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Well if you can't get a union rep with you you can't get a union rep with you. :arrrghhh
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by rehabron »

debs6363 wrote:The only problem with that, Lounge Lizard, is that we have no rep in our office and its easier to catch a fart in a colander than get hold of our area rep! I text him and left him a voicemail about my ill health retirement 2 months ago, and I'm still waiting for him to reply :arrrghhh
If you are in full time contract ball park figure should be in the region of £ 20,000. If well under then you should seek advice. The paperwork that is being sent to you should give you a breakdown on how they reached their final figure.
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by DiamondSmiles »

debs6363 wrote:The only problem with that, Lounge Lizard, is that we have no rep in our office and its easier to catch a fart in a colander than get hold of our area rep! I text him and left him a voicemail about my ill health retirement 2 months ago, and I'm still waiting for him to reply :arrrghhh
How about an area rep, there must be somebody from the union who can go in with you?
debs6363
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 23:10
Gender: Female

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by debs6363 »

I have called the area rep today and left a message, so I’ll wait to see if he replies, but I’m not hopeful to be honest! Presumably if the letter gives me the right figure I shouldn’t need the rep with me? I’m a bit worried about putting off signing the paperwork incase the rep doesn’t get back to me
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by k979aaa »

debs6363 wrote:I have called the area rep today and left a message, so I’ll wait to see if he replies, but I’m not hopeful to be honest! Presumably if the letter gives me the right figure I shouldn’t need the rep with me? I’m a bit worried about putting off signing the paperwork incase the rep doesn’t get back to me
If the area rep don,t get back tel:02089717200 YOU PAY YOUR SUB'S ask for advice about your non contactable area rep.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by Lincox »

debs6363 wrote:I am off sick at the moment, post op, with osteoarthritis. I have requested ill health retirement. I got a call today from DOM who has sent me out a letter today with a payment offer. He suggested that I go into the office later in the week to go through paperwork and sign forms to finalise it. I was just wondering if it's just that straightforward or if I need union representation?
There is no reason for you not to go in and collect the paperwork. You are not obliged to sign on the spot. Just say that you would like to take the paperwork away, or at least a copy of it, and discuss this with your family. It will give you time to check out with the union that the figures are correct.
debs6363
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 23:10
Gender: Female

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by debs6363 »

I spoke with my area rep, went in to get my figures. I'm now officially an ex-postie!!!
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by Lincox »

Congratulations, and best of luck for whatever you do in the future.
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by Ricardo44 »

You can now look forward to a stress free Christmas... :thumbup

Good Luck
Godric
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 855
Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 12:08
Gender: Male
Location: The Kingdom of Alba

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by Godric »

debs6363 wrote:I spoke with my area rep, went in to get my figures. I'm now officially an ex-postie!!!

... good luck with your future Debs
"Vi har haft århundraden av kärlek och tillit till varandra."
debs6363
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 23:10
Gender: Female

Do I need a union rep with me?

Post by debs6363 »

Thanks guys. It feels a bit strange, but I'm going to enjoy the build up to xmas for once and then move on to pastures new in the new year :Very Happy