ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Injured at Work
-
cweg
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Injured at Work
Hi, just looking for a wee bit of help regarding an injury at work.
I was out on delivery today and fell down a flight of stairs and broke my arm.
I slipped, most probably because I have no grip left on my boots. I've been asking the managers to order me new boots for about 4 or 5 months now.
I was sent the wrong size about 2 months ago and asked for another pair to be ordered but still nothing.
Must've wrote down all the details on a york card and handed it to a lino about 5 times. "Leave it with me".
Just wondering where I stand with regards to sick leave and possible compensation. Feel like I've been let down by management as they failed to provide me with the footwear I need to do the job safely.
Any advice?
I was out on delivery today and fell down a flight of stairs and broke my arm.
I slipped, most probably because I have no grip left on my boots. I've been asking the managers to order me new boots for about 4 or 5 months now.
I was sent the wrong size about 2 months ago and asked for another pair to be ordered but still nothing.
Must've wrote down all the details on a york card and handed it to a lino about 5 times. "Leave it with me".
Just wondering where I stand with regards to sick leave and possible compensation. Feel like I've been let down by management as they failed to provide me with the footwear I need to do the job safely.
Any advice?
-
osgoody1970
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 360
- Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Injured at Work
now I fell down stairs at work and got a stage one warning, because I did not use the bannister on the way down, careful!!!
-
Nigel1505
- Posts: 409
- Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
- Gender: Male
Injured at Work
CWU legal Helpline. 
-
Anonymouse
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Injured at Work
Same. Once slipped on the top step, stumbled to regain balance and twisted my ankle on the way down. Stage warning for having my foot in one of those padded boots for a while. I should have used the handrailosgoody1970 wrote:now I fell down stairs at work and got a stage one warning, because I did not use the bannister on the way down, careful!!!
The managers daughter got to work indoors after a fall and thusly recieved no warning but they forced me to stay off even though i asked to work.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Injured at Work
This.Nigel1505 wrote:CWU legal Helpline.
And if not them use a no win no fee company they’ll crawl through EVERYTHING to get their hands on a few quid
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Injured at Work
This you got nothing too lose. Hope you get better soon and enjoy your time off. PS When you rang the dim up to tell him, was the first thing he said hope you done your lasting?Creditshampoo wrote:This.Nigel1505 wrote:CWU legal Helpline.
And if not them use a no win no fee company they’ll crawl through EVERYTHING to get their hands on a few quid
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Injured at Work
I love to remind my manager all the time that if I have an accident I seem to be caused by his failings he’s going down
-
cweg
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Injured at Work
Cheers for the replies. I'll phone the union helpline on Monday!
I soldiered on and finished my duty after it happened. Didn't realise there was a break until I got back to the office and took my jacket off to have a look. Hard as nails me.
Upon telling my manager and asking him to get my boots sorted he said "remind me in the morning".
I soldiered on and finished my duty after it happened. Didn't realise there was a break until I got back to the office and took my jacket off to have a look. Hard as nails me.
Upon telling my manager and asking him to get my boots sorted he said "remind me in the morning".
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Injured at Work
Oh dear, hope you recover soon.cweg wrote:Cheers for the replies. I'll phone the union helpline on Monday!
I soldiered on and finished my duty after it happened. Didn't realise there was a break until I got back to the office and took my jacket off to have a look. Hard as nails me.
Upon telling my manager and asking him to get my boots sorted he said "remind me in the morning".
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Injured at Work
Why have you posted the facts on here this looser of a manager you have will deny all knowledge of anything about you ordering said items IF you have not spoken to him yet just tell him you slipped/tripped on something that should not have been there it is for you to decide. Having commenced on delivery with the footwear as you describe is tantamount to gross negligence if it was a royalmail vehicle you would be sacked as it is you still could be.
-
RandyBeanz
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Injured at Work
Managers fault. You've gave them plenty of notice that you need new footwear
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Injured at Work
No doubt the manager will brush it under the carpet as they often do.Wonder if the posties have been sent out in Ireland where that awful storm is today.I think we all know the answer!! 
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Injured at Work
The answer is they are responsible for their own H&S.Brandy wrote:No doubt the manager will brush it under the carpet as they often do.Wonder if the posties have been sent out in Ireland where that awful storm is today.I think we all know the answer!!
If they deem the conditions too dangerous, then they don't go out. It is that simple.
You can't be "sent out on delivery" like a schoolkid unless you behave like one.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Injured at Work
You can and your wrong a DUTY OF CARE comes into any of this they are your staff would you go and do this yourself? This is the problem with Teflon management nothing sticks to us kinda attitude one day the s**t will hit them full in the face.clashcityrocker wrote:The answer is they are responsible for their own H&S.Brandy wrote:No doubt the manager will brush it under the carpet as they often do.Wonder if the posties have been sent out in Ireland where that awful storm is today.I think we all know the answer!!
If they deem the conditions too dangerous, then they don't go out. It is that simple.
You can't be "sent out on delivery" like a schoolkid unless you behave like one.
-
Cyberbean
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 29 Apr 2015, 15:59
- Gender: Male
Injured at Work
Whilst out on delivery at the end of June my ankle rolled underneath me and I came down on it very hard resulting in a nasty sprain. Repoted it and went through all the accident paperwork, spent the next week on light duties and then got told by a very happy DOM that he wasn't going to put it down as a work accident as it could have happened in my own time. Fast forward 3 months still in pain by the end of the day so go to docs who signed me off for 2 weeks. Came back on Monday still far from better now been told I've got an attendance review on Friday. Does anybody have a copy of what does and doesn't count as a workplace accident or can point me in the right direction for it.