ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

DOM screwing me

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RandyBeanz
Posts: 44
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 22:30
Gender: Male

DOM screwing me

Post by RandyBeanz »

Hello. Im quite stressed about my scenario for next week.

Next week my day off was due to be tuesday. On Wednesday this week my DOM told me that I'd be working tuesday as Im training a new start on a rural delivery next week. He told me I'd get the Saturday off instead as the new start would be able to do the delivery themselves by then. That was fine by me so I made plans pretty much straight away. I worked my Saturday off last week so I thought he must be repaying my favour.

Today after my delivery I noticed on the duty sheet he has me down for 4 hours next Saturday on a rural collection. I don't want to work as I have already made plans. He always asks staff aswell if they want to work their day off so Im angry, he never asked me if i wanted the overtime. He's just put it slyly on the sheet.

Where do I stand with this? Am i right to go in on Monday morning and tell him Im not working the Saturday? I think he'll probably just laugh and avoid the question. Or because im due off Tuesday he'll maybe just swap it back.

Sorry to rant but im pissed off. Anytime he asks me to swap days off I do it for him. Im always swapped off my normal duty as I know a lot of runs. The job is stressing me out so much it's affecting my home life. Lapsing just now when its busiest time of year. My knee and back are killing me. Ive been in the job 8 years. For the first 5 or so years i enjoyed it.
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

DOM screwing me

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

Don't tell him anything. Just point out the error he's made, and explain you've made plans. He can either give you the Saturday off as agreed, or put you back to the Tuesday off. Don't come across as pissed, or he will take the piss. If he doesn't honour the original agreement, you know what to do when he next wants a favour.

Make sure it's sorted on Monday.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

DOM screwing me

Post by k979aaa »

RandyBeanz wrote:Hello. Im quite stressed about my scenario for next week.

Next week my day off was due to be tuesday. On Wednesday this week my DOM told me that I'd be working tuesday as Im training a new start on a rural delivery next week. He told me I'd get the Saturday off instead as the new start would be able to do the delivery themselves by then. That was fine by me so I made plans pretty much straight away. I worked my Saturday off last week so I thought he must be repaying my favour.

Today after my delivery I noticed on the duty sheet he has me down for 4 hours next Saturday on a rural collection. I don't want to work as I have already made plans. He always asks staff aswell if they want to work their day off so Im angry, he never asked me if i wanted the overtime. He's just put it slyly on the sheet.

Where do I stand with this? Am i right to go in on Monday morning and tell him Im not working the Saturday? I think he'll probably just laugh and avoid the question. Or because im due off Tuesday he'll maybe just swap it back.

Sorry to rant but im pissed off. Anytime he asks me to swap days off I do it for him. Im always swapped off my normal duty as I know a lot of runs. The job is stressing me out so much it's affecting my home life. Lapsing just now when its busiest time of year. My knee and back are killing me. Ive been in the job 8 years. For the first 5 or so years i enjoyed it.
Well did you have any witness's even so they do like to bully anyone these days but who is not to say he has just put your name down as a matter of course or a Pseudonym after giving your manager/s the benefit of the doubt I would act on his last verbal instruction the sheet was none of your concern after that for you had plans!
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

DOM screwing me

Post by aiden01 »

RandyBeanz wrote:Hello. Im quite stressed about my scenario for next week.

Next week my day off was due to be tuesday. On Wednesday this week my DOM told me that I'd be working tuesday as Im training a new start on a rural delivery next week. He told me I'd get the Saturday off instead as the new start would be able to do the delivery themselves by then. That was fine by me so I made plans pretty much straight away. I worked my Saturday off last week so I thought he must be repaying my favour.

Today after my delivery I noticed on the duty sheet he has me down for 4 hours next Saturday on a rural collection. I don't want to work as I have already made plans. He always asks staff aswell if they want to work their day off so Im angry, he never asked me if i wanted the overtime. He's just put it slyly on the sheet.

Where do I stand with this? Am i right to go in on Monday morning and tell him Im not working the Saturday? I think he'll probably just laugh and avoid the question. Or because im due off Tuesday he'll maybe just swap it back.

Sorry to rant but im pissed off. Anytime he asks me to swap days off I do it for him. Im always swapped off my normal duty as I know a lot of runs. The job is stressing me out so much it's affecting my home life. Lapsing just now when its busiest time of year. My knee and back are killing me. Ive been in the job 8 years. For the first 5 or so years i enjoyed it.
is it ot. If so politely ďecline.
osgoody1970
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 360
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
Gender: Male

DOM screwing me

Post by osgoody1970 »

does that mean, you are working 6 days then???
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

DOM screwing me

Post by Creditshampoo »

Last time you spoke to him he said you had Saturday off. I see no reason to even look at the sheet.
I would work all week then have the Saturday off, working 5 days you need the Saturday off anyway
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

DOM screwing me

Post by wannabeek »

He told you you're working your day off. Not cool.

He told you you have Saturday off to compensate, ok so it's cool again.

He's now requested you to do overtime on the Saturday. That's cool - overtime is voluntary so just say, sorry, you said that I had the Saturday off so I've already made plans.

No need to be mad or huffy about it, so far as I can see.

I know that different offices and different DOMs make the job world's apart tho! Keep chilled about it and let us know how you get on.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

DOM screwing me

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I would just work mon-fri and not say anything and have sat off. If the dom brings it up say you said I've got sat off and ow I've made plans so can't do it.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

DOM screwing me

Post by Judgee »

Radical idea I know but you could just ask him why he's put you down to work when he's already agreed your time off? People make mistakes, he may just have forgotten. If he did intentionally put you down to come in, just stick to your guns and say you have plans so you won't be in and see what he says. No need to go to war before peace talks have taken place! :wink:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?