ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Forgot to scan an international special

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Flora
Posts: 36
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 09:25
Gender: Female

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Flora »

Got an international small packet from the lock up today along with 3 other before 1pm specials. I now can't remember scanning the international one. :sad: I may have done, but If I didn't scan it and just posted it through the persons letterbox what will happen. Will my manager get an alert that it wasn't scanned??? I usually write SD on international packets, but for some reason today I forgot :shock:
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Creditshampoo »

Nah be fine mate
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by wannabeek »

I admire your commitment. 7:15 on a Saturday night and not scanning a packet is weighing on your mind. And the bosses think we're all lazy useless workshy idiots.

Realistically, don't worry about that. If there's a scan fail you may get asked about it, and you can say you remember posting it but you may have missed scanning it.

Most likely in my experience, nothing would get mentioned at all unless the recipient phones up and complains it hasn't arrived. That could be a problem because there's no scan to prove that it did.

This is unlikely I think because the vast majority of these international 'specials' seem to be cheap tat, according to the customs sticker.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by k979aaa »

Always mark mine so I know what I get from the locker if it helps anyone. :thumbup
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Jpro747 »

Anyone know why we get some international items mixed in with the specials?
Flora
Posts: 36
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 09:25
Gender: Female

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Flora »

thanks everyone, I've just recently transfered to my current delivery office and only been there 3 weeks, don't want to pulled for making a silly mistake. :roll: Will definately be marking all future international specials. Can sleep better now :Very Happy.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by LaggyBand »

Jpro747 wrote:Anyone know why we get some international items mixed in with the specials?
Because RM don't get paid if the "delivered" scan doesn't occur, so treating them as specials is their solution to getting us to scan them.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by wannabeek »

I've heard this but I find it hard to believe. So many of these international specials have customs value of a dollar or so, according to the sticker. Are they really paying more than pennies to give these packets a priority service?
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Interested-seeker »

Do international specials have to be delivered by 1pm?
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Cedar_Room »

Interested-seeker wrote:Do international specials have to be delivered by 1pm?
No
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
Max Jaffa
Posts: 14
Joined: 02 Jul 2007, 20:01

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Max Jaffa »

Done the same myself.Nothing came of it.Don't think they are massively important.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Mobey »

I scan the barcode in the morning and see what it says about needing a signature.

If it needs a signature then I'll put it safely away but if it doesn't, it goes in the bundle / bag.

Special deliveries from international aren't 9 am or 1 pm specials. I've often wondered if they are put in with the other specials so they can keep their numbers up!
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Interested-seeker »

Cedar_Room wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Do international specials have to be delivered by 1pm?
No
Thanks for the succinct reply.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Interested-seeker »

Mobey wrote:I scan the barcode in the morning and see what it says about needing a signature.

If it needs a signature then I'll put it safely away but if it doesn't, it goes in the bundle / bag.

Special deliveries from international aren't 9 am or 1 pm specials. I've often wondered if they are put in with the other specials so they can keep their numbers up!
Good tip :)
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by wacko74 »

It's ridiculous that we have to treat these international (mostly Chinese) items as Specials... I had one the other day, didn't require a signature but still had to go 15 minutes off route to be there before 1pm.

The customer laughed at me when I got there and I said I hope he appreciated the trouble I'd gone to... he told me it was a 3 pack of underpants that cost a fiver off Ebay with free delivery, so god knows why it had been sent as an International Special.