ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

CWU let us down?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by rambo1 »

Seems to me they have made a hash of it. Surely they have lawyers to check this stuff out? What the hell were the chickens about too. Your being taken to the high court.......and you take chickens as a publicity stunt. Really?
seaside
Posts: 266
Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
Gender: Female

CWU let us down?

Post by seaside »

wouldn't say they let us down, but I feel a lot might think that, maybe outsmarted.
Flashman_
Posts: 363
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by Flashman_ »

I feel very let down by the Union, Why did they give our right to strike away five years ago? Maybe individuals should go to court on the grounds that the union had no right to make such an agreement, as it took away our Statutory rights. I hated the previous agreement and saw this coming at that time, but was assured that it did not mean we could not strike, well that was BS.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by aiden01 »

Flashman_ wrote:I feel very let down by the Union, Why did they give our right to strike away five years ago? Maybe individuals should go to court on the grounds that the union had no right to make such an agreement, as it took away our Statutory rights. I hated the previous agreement and saw this coming at that time, but was assured that it did not mean we could not strike, well that was BS.
Union always denied it was a no strike deal maybe dingo will explain how this has panned out..
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by world class male »

seaside wrote:wouldn't say they let us down, but I feel a lot might think that, maybe outsmarted.
definitely not let us down definitely outsmarted
look to the positives, none of the people on my duty didn't even know we planned on a strike next week, not one!
they will now, and more importantly it's not "the greedy postman" "xmas is coming, lets screw them" again like we usually get tarnished with,
yes, the chickens were childish but it sent a message for all to see what it was about and that sort of childish behaviour sticks in peoples minds.
one thing that differs from before is that it's now a private company so your average joe bloggs may now show sympathy on us rather than the greedy shareholders
Stewface
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Feb 2015, 18:12
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by Stewface »

Not sure what the chickens were about, and the Chicken crossing the road, perhaps the Chicken laid the egg, that Big Dave & Terry got all over their faces, HaHa.

Union should have acted against privatisation 5 years ago, but seemed to be happy with a few free shares. I could see this happening after privatisation, as the only people the business needs to keep happy are the share holders, profits before people.

Pensions are worthless throughout the country, I think the Union should let that go. Currently RM have backed down on sick pay changes leaving that how it is, instead of No Sick pay for first 3 days, and only full pay for 4-6 weeks, than half pay, and then SSP.

Strikes are never good for anyone, CWU members, RM staff & RM business, so I think the CWU should be working to avoid a strike, instead of fighting for a strike.

If RM put in policies and procedures I don't like, I'll get another job, simple as. A postie Job. is a Job, not a career.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by Acca Dacca »

aiden01 wrote:
Flashman_ wrote:I feel very let down by the Union, Why did they give our right to strike away five years ago? Maybe individuals should go to court on the grounds that the union had no right to make such an agreement, as it took away our Statutory rights. I hated the previous agreement and saw this coming at that time, but was assured that it did not mean we could not strike, well that was BS.
Union always denied it was a no strike deal maybe dingo will explain how this has panned out..
There isn't a no strike deal

There IS a 'involve mediators in talks before calling strike' agreement though

Theres not been enough mediation YET therefore no strike
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
mr hil.
Posts: 424
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by mr hil. »

I personally think the Union have outsmarted RMG. They want the best agreement for us, RMG were not listening and declined the earlier request to involve ACAS. Cleverly they have now forced RMG to enter outside mediation. I know the recommendations will be non binding but at the end of the process we will have a clearer idea just how far apart the two parties remain. I am hopeful for a negotiated settlement that satisfies the principles within the four pillars.

RMG keep comparing us to Yodel etc. but we are not parcel couriers, WE ARE POSTIES, we deliver a service and we should be proud of the work we do. Excessive profits should not be the ultimate goal, being the best, most trusted and professional organisation should be. We are not any old delivery company, we are THE ROYAL MAIL.

I am still proud to be a postie, I work diligently and often "go the extra mile" for my customers. I do it because I can, often at a cost to me, but not everything in this life has to be about making the absolute maximum amount of money. I hope RMG realise this and eventually, with the help of the Union, alter their obsessive fixation on wringing every last cent from the operation and get back to providing the superlative service that will see customers preferring to use us instead of the competition because they know we will always fulfill our promise to deliver their items even when the address is more like a crossword clue. There will always be the customers who will go for the cheapest option, but I would rather pay that little bit extra and get a far superior service, so lets stop trying to compete on price and go all out for service, at a small premium.
Last edited by mr hil. on 12 Oct 2017, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1374
Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by rogersh »

I empathise with the points made in regard to the outcome today but maintain the ballot result is still key to leverage in further negotiations. Royal mail could not have expected the overwhelming ballot result but knew they could seek, & probably win, an injunction as a last resort.

The fact remains employees have given a clear message that they are prepared to take IA. If an agreement is still not forthcoming I believe some members, who now feel aggrieved by the CWU's apparent failure, Will refocus their dismay against Royal mail for having used the injunction purely as a delaying tactic as implied.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by redneck »

mr hil. wrote:I personally think the Union have outsmarted RMG. They want the best agreement for us, RMG were not listening and declined the earlier request to involve ACAS. Cleverly they have now forced RMG to enter outside mediation. I know the recommendations will be non binding but at the end of the process we will have a clearer idea just how far apart the two parties remain. I am hopeful for a negotiated settlement that satisfies the principles within the four pillars.

RMG keep comparing us to Yodel etc. but we are not parcel couriers, WE ARE POSTIES, we deliver a service and we should be proud of the work we do. Excessive profits should not be the ultimate goal, being the best, most trusted and professional organisation should be. We are not any old delivery company, we are THE ROYAL MAIL.

I am still proud to be a postie, I work diligently and often "go the extra mile" for my customers. I do it because I can, often at a cost to me, but not everything in this life has to be about making the absolute maximum amount of money. I hope RMG realise this and eventually, with the help of the Union, alter their obsessive fixation on wringing every last cent from the operation and get back to providing the superlative service that will see customers preferring to use us instead of the competition because they know we will always fulfill our promise to deliver their items even when the address is more like a crossword clue. There will always be the customers who will go for the cheapest option, but I would rather pay that little bit extra and get a far superior service, so lets stop trying to compete on price and go all out for service, at a small premium.
:Applause a great vision but one that can only be realised with continued support of the union members, keep fighting.
scorpioem1
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Sep 2016, 11:34
Gender: Female

CWU let us down?

Post by scorpioem1 »

Let down and caught out. call a strike make sure it's legal.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by tommyrep »

seaside wrote:wouldn't say they let us down, but I feel a lot might think that, maybe outsmarted.
I agree.
Need to smarten up and stop signing away our rights on a whim.
RM seem to reap the best from past agreements, members continue to be ill treated, abused and bullied !
We are always on the back foot while RM continue to place the big boots firmly up our a...s !
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by crimson king »

mr hil. wrote:I personally think the Union have outsmarted RMG. They want the best agreement for us, RMG were not listening and declined the earlier request to involve ACAS. Cleverly they have now forced RMG to enter outside mediation. I know the recommendations will be non binding but at the end of the process we will have a clearer idea just how far apart the two parties remain. I am hopeful for a negotiated settlement that satisfies the principles within the four pillars.

RMG keep comparing us to Yodel etc. but we are not parcel couriers, WE ARE POSTIES, we deliver a service and we should be proud of the work we do. Excessive profits should not be the ultimate goal, being the best, most trusted and professional organisation should be. We are not any old delivery company, we are THE ROYAL MAIL.

I am still proud to be a postie, I work diligently and often "go the extra mile" for my customers. I do it because I can, often at a cost to me, but not everything in this life has to be about making the absolute maximum amount of money. I hope RMG realise this and eventually, with the help of the Union, alter their obsessive fixation on wringing every last cent from the operation and get back to providing the superlative service that will see customers preferring to use us instead of the competition because they know we will always fulfill our promise to deliver their items even when the address is more like a crossword clue. There will always be the customers who will go for the cheapest option, but I would rather pay that little bit extra and get a far superior service, so lets stop trying to compete on price and go all out for service, at a small premium.
Only been with you all two months, but I love the above. It's from the heart, and how I feel every day when I get out of the DO and hit the streets. Most of them love me, ha ha.

When you see an old man hanging about in his front garden just so he can talk s**t, you know you're special, right?

New, not despondent, faith in Union.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Flashman_
Posts: 363
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
Gender: Male

CWU let us down?

Post by Flashman_ »

mr hil. wrote:I personally think the Union have outsmarted RMG. They want the best agreement for us, RMG were not listening and declined the earlier request to involve ACAS. Cleverly they have now forced RMG to enter outside mediation. I know the recommendations will be non binding but at the end of the process we will have a clearer idea just how far apart the two parties remain. I am hopeful for a negotiated settlement that satisfies the principles within the four pillars.

RMG keep comparing us to Yodel etc. but we are not parcel couriers, WE ARE POSTIES, we deliver a service and we should be proud of the work we do. Excessive profits should not be the ultimate goal, being the best, most trusted and professional organisation should be. We are not any old delivery company, we are THE ROYAL MAIL.

I am still proud to be a postie, I work diligently and often "go the extra mile" for my customers. I do it because I can, often at a cost to me, but not everything in this life has to be about making the absolute maximum amount of money. I hope RMG realise this and eventually, with the help of the Union, alter their obsessive fixation on wringing every last cent from the operation and get back to providing the superlative service that will see customers preferring to use us instead of the competition because they know we will always fulfill our promise to deliver their items even when the address is more like a crossword clue. There will always be the customers who will go for the cheapest option, but I would rather pay that little bit extra and get a far superior service, so lets stop trying to compete on price and go all out for service, at a small premium.


I agree with your sentiments but unfortunately RMG has no interest in anything that will not make them the most profit. That is the nature of any private company. It seems to me, evidenced in the way they keep comparing us to the likes of Yodel, they see that model as the future of Royal Mail. We as full employees are simply in their way.
scorpioem1
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Sep 2016, 11:34
Gender: Female

CWU let us down?

Post by scorpioem1 »

If going to call a strike (and even name the date 19th Oct) surely would make sure its a legal strike.. ?? Now potentially go on strike December. Would love to see that. biggest month for OT. NAH.