ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman to C+E driver advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Postman to C+E driver advice

Post by postiewhite »

Just been browsing through indeed jobs and I noticed there is a permanent position near me on a 40+ hour contract for a C+E driver, it says its via Manpower but the contract is permanent with wages between £15 and £18 per hour. I dont have this type of licence but I nearly went to get my LGV licence 8yrs ago prior to starting with Royal Mail. Can anyone confirm this is the true hourly rate that Royal Mail pay.(im aware shift patterns vary). This is something I would like to do in the future. I know the training would be in excess for 2k but in the long run being a postie on a 28hr contract earning less than half of that wage each week its surely something to consider? Unfortunately I cant get onto my Success Factors portal as I forgot my password so unsure if this job is advertised on there too, but thinking more so for future advertisments, and would I get an advantage already being employed by RM if I did happen to get my licence and something came up.? Any advice would be appreciated.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Postman to C+E driver advice

Post by cloherty1976 »

postiewhite wrote:Just been browsing through indeed jobs and I noticed there is a permanent position near me on a 40+ hour contract for a C+E driver, it says its via Manpower but the contract is permanent with wages between £15 and £18 per hour. I dont have this type of licence but I nearly went to get my LGV licence 8yrs ago prior to starting with Royal Mail. Can anyone confirm this is the true hourly rate that Royal Mail pay.(im aware shift patterns vary). This is something I would like to do in the future. I know the training would be in excess for 2k but in the long run being a postie on a 28hr contract earning less than half of that wage each week its surely something to consider? Unfortunately I cant get onto my Success Factors portal as I forgot my password so unsure if this job is advertised on there too, but thinking more so for future advertisments, and would I get an advantage already being employed by RM if I did happen to get my licence and something came up.? Any advice would be appreciated.
Yes that is the hourly rates
Jonesy 1971
Posts: 64
Joined: 14 Oct 2015, 14:06
Gender: Male

Postman to C+E driver advice

Post by Jonesy 1971 »

I thought pertemps were the agency for drivers in RM? Hourly rates seem about right but after 12 weeks agency workers are entitled to pay parity with RM employees but I don't know how an agency can offer a permanent position. RM usually recruit internally first for drivers then if your lucky they may open up to external applications just be aware it's quite hard to get on to logistics in some areas.
mad man moon
PARCELFORCE
Posts: 41
Joined: 11 Jan 2015, 22:50
Gender: Male

Postman to C+E driver advice

Post by mad man moon »

Best thing to do is wait until next year around May. Search or look on the union noticeboards for the Driver career path. I signed up, I already have a C licence (class 2) and have been accepted for the C+E (class 1).
My training starts on Wednesday. As others say,its hard to get these jobs. For what it's worth I know someone who paid himself and got a job on C+E. Depends if there are any vacancies in your area.
Ex-PFW currently Network Driver.
st jude
Posts: 6
Joined: 20 Mar 2014, 19:39
Gender: Male

Postman to C+E driver advice

Post by st jude »

That will be agency work, your better getting your class C then waiting for the career path to reopen