ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

If your face fits

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

If your face fits

Post by comeracing »

I know our gaffer would probably allow this for some in our office,we are allowed no annual leave mid dec onwards,thing is I need sat 16th dec off,i have a week off mid nov would my dom let me swap one of these days to sat 16th,or I have 3 spare days to use up,or I could not claim for my ot,bank those hours and have the day off,surely I can get that day off as it wont be as busy as the week after,or cold I hit the jackpot and hope its a strike day ?
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

If your face fits

Post by DirtyHarry »

Don't think there's much chance of you will be able to, mate.
Although it looks like these idiots will be flooding Mail centres with casuals this Christmas, they are not lifting a finger to ensure there is extra help for delivery offices. Again.
fed_up_postie
Posts: 154
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: lost in space

If your face fits

Post by fed_up_postie »

DirtyHarry wrote:Don't think there's much chance of you will be able to, mate.
Although it looks like these idiots will be flooding Mail centres with casuals this Christmas, they are not lifting a finger to ensure there is extra help for delivery offices. Again.
Delivery NEVER gets any extra help! All A/L is cancelled for the whole of December so therefore unless you have anyone sick your office will/should be overstaffed and spare bodies are used to pick up bits of walks/parcels that can't be completed.
fed_up_postie
Posts: 154
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: lost in space

If your face fits

Post by fed_up_postie »

comeracing wrote:I know our gaffer would probably allow this for some in our office,we are allowed no annual leave mid dec onwards,thing is I need sat 16th dec off,i have a week off mid nov would my dom let me swap one of these days to sat 16th,or I have 3 spare days to use up,or I could not claim for my ot,bank those hours and have the day off,surely I can get that day off as it wont be as busy as the week after,or cold I hit the jackpot and hope its a strike day ?
You could ask your Dom if you could swap your rest day, as pointed out above your office should be fully/overstaffed so therefore can't see this be a problem. Depends on what type of Dom you have.....old school looks after his workforce (although there's not many of these left) or a brown nose made up to acting manager who's a knob and only cares about his/her 9am finish on the Saturday
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

If your face fits

Post by joewyan »

comeracing wrote:I know our gaffer would probably allow this for some in our office,we are allowed no annual leave mid dec onwards,thing is I need sat 16th dec off,i have a week off mid nov would my dom let me swap one of these days to sat 16th,or I have 3 spare days to use up,or I could not claim for my ot,bank those hours and have the day off,surely I can get that day off as it wont be as busy as the week after,or cold I hit the jackpot and hope its a strike day ?
You won't be able to take leave as if they allowed you leave it would only be fair to allow everyone in the office. Your best bet would be to ask your line manager or DOM if you could have that as your day off that week? Failing that speak to your colleagues and see if anyone could swap their day off or if anyone would work it for you?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

If your face fits

Post by LaggyBand »

But if you're doing the other thing, say nuttin' to no one.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

If your face fits

Post by Darren Bent »

You will need to ask your friend at work to swap day off. Football fans are very good to ask as they will want to swap day off for Saturday to follow their football team.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

If your face fits

Post by twoloops »

Keep you gob shut & have week on the sick bad back. :nana
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

If your face fits

Post by DirtyHarry »

fed_up_postie wrote:
DirtyHarry wrote:Don't think there's much chance of you will be able to, mate.
Although it looks like these idiots will be flooding Mail centres with casuals this Christmas, they are not lifting a finger to ensure there is extra help for delivery offices. Again.
Delivery NEVER gets any extra help! All A/L is cancelled for the whole of December so therefore unless you have anyone sick your office will/should be overstaffed and spare bodies are used to pick up bits of walks/parcels that can't be completed.
I remember a time when Christmas casuals were a feature every Christmas in my office.
Only in the last few years has chaos reigned truly supreme, and office not cleared come close of play Christmas Eve.