ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
-
Lilly J
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 18 Apr 2017, 17:29
- Gender: Female
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
I started mid April, so my contract officially ends mid October. I should be having a meeting to discuss an extension I guess soon (not been told anything yet), but I'm worried that with the poss industrial action looming and no CWU agreement, if they do extend my contract, what t&cs will I be on? Is there any possibility that they'll try and sign me up on the new terms that the union need to agree to first? Anyone have any advice? Anyone else in the same position?
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
I say you’re 99% not going to have a meeting and continue working past this. You’ll ask your manager and they’ll say oh that yea ignore that you have a job here’s more lapsing.
Seriously I wouldn’t worry
Seriously I wouldn’t worry
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
Same thing here. Apart from mine ends later this week. I guess that if they were keeping me on, they would have given me a contract by now. Will find out I guess.Lilly J wrote:I started mid April, so my contract officially ends mid October. I should be having a meeting to discuss an extension I guess soon (not been told anything yet), but I'm worried that with the poss industrial action looming and no CWU agreement, if they do extend my contract, what t&cs will I be on? Is there any possibility that they'll try and sign me up on the new terms that the union need to agree to first? Anyone have any advice? Anyone else in the same position?
Seems like a bad time for contract renewal now with all the tumult that is due to happen....
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
Unless you are the worst postie going you will be kept on and eventually be glven a permanent contract
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
Don't forget even if you're existing office don't keep you on you can try your luck with other offices, but as said it's not very common for contracts not to be renewed/made permanent, but I can appreciate it's not nice at all not knowing.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
I've never heard of them trying on new terms when renewing a contract, that only ever seems to apply to new contracts so I wouldn't worry much about that.
As others have said, most offices are massively understaffed so unless you are a total disaster it's most likely that your renewal date will come and go and nothing will change, not even a new renewal date!
Different if it's a tiny office and you were only employed for maternity cover etc. Even so, I think you'd have to be a postal disaster to be let go so soon.
As others have said, most offices are massively understaffed so unless you are a total disaster it's most likely that your renewal date will come and go and nothing will change, not even a new renewal date!
Different if it's a tiny office and you were only employed for maternity cover etc. Even so, I think you'd have to be a postal disaster to be let go so soon.
-
Kick the Bucket
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
- Gender: Male
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
If it's anything like my office... Even if you're the worst postman in the world they keep you on.terry2972 wrote:Unless you are the worst postie going you will be kept on and eventually be glven a permanent contract
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
Thinking about it you are correct lol
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
Hi, my contract runs out this friday. I guess that they aren't renewing. I thought that I was doing alright and even the DOM said to me last week that he has no problems with me. Annoying thing is that there is a permanent contract for the same number of hours going in my local office (where I originally wanted to work).norm wrote:Don't forget even if you're existing office don't keep you on you can try your luck with other offices, but as said it's not very common for contracts not to be renewed/made permanent, but I can appreciate it's not nice at all not knowing.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
Just keep going to work, and if there is nothing in writing about your contract ending, you still are employed. It is unlikely they will stop your contract.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
Thanks for the reply. If they want my employment to cease then they have to notify me in writing? Okay, I will see if I get anything on Friday. I was just going to not turn up next week and see if they notice....Darren Bent wrote:Just keep going to work, and if there is nothing in writing about your contract ending, you still are employed. It is unlikely they will stop your contract.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
when mine ran out it took about 3 months before I got another one through the door. Even though it was a 1 month oneInterested-seeker wrote:Thanks for the reply. If they want my employment to cease then they have to notify me in writing? Okay, I will see if I get anything on Friday. I was just going to not turn up next week and see if they notice....Darren Bent wrote:Just keep going to work, and if there is nothing in writing about your contract ending, you still are employed. It is unlikely they will stop your contract.
-
fed_up_postie
- Posts: 154
- Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 12:37
- Gender: Male
- Location: lost in space
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
The worrying thing about these type of contracts is the law states NO notice has to be given! This HAS to change! RM are the world's worst company for communicating with its employees! How are you to know if you have to find a new job or not when your not told anything about your contract being renewed or not!
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
Thanks :). I will try not to worryCPTNemoUK wrote:when mine ran out it took about 3 months before I got another one through the door. Even though it was a 1 month oneInterested-seeker wrote:Thanks for the reply. If they want my employment to cease then they have to notify me in writing? Okay, I will see if I get anything on Friday. I was just going to not turn up next week and see if they notice....Darren Bent wrote:Just keep going to work, and if there is nothing in writing about your contract ending, you still are employed. It is unlikely they will stop your contract.. All on all I got about 3 month ones, a 3 month one then got made permanent. Just don't worry and keep going to work.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice
Agreedfed_up_postie wrote:The worrying thing about these type of contracts is the law states NO notice has to be given! This HAS to change! RM are the world's worst company for communicating with its employees! How are you to know if you have to find a new job or not when your not told anything about your contract being renewed or not!