ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lilly J
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Apr 2017, 17:29
Gender: Female

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by Lilly J »

I started mid April, so my contract officially ends mid October. I should be having a meeting to discuss an extension I guess soon (not been told anything yet), but I'm worried that with the poss industrial action looming and no CWU agreement, if they do extend my contract, what t&cs will I be on? Is there any possibility that they'll try and sign me up on the new terms that the union need to agree to first? Anyone have any advice? Anyone else in the same position?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by Creditshampoo »

I say you’re 99% not going to have a meeting and continue working past this. You’ll ask your manager and they’ll say oh that yea ignore that you have a job here’s more lapsing.
Seriously I wouldn’t worry
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by Interested-seeker »

Lilly J wrote:I started mid April, so my contract officially ends mid October. I should be having a meeting to discuss an extension I guess soon (not been told anything yet), but I'm worried that with the poss industrial action looming and no CWU agreement, if they do extend my contract, what t&cs will I be on? Is there any possibility that they'll try and sign me up on the new terms that the union need to agree to first? Anyone have any advice? Anyone else in the same position?
Same thing here. Apart from mine ends later this week. I guess that if they were keeping me on, they would have given me a contract by now. Will find out I guess.

Seems like a bad time for contract renewal now with all the tumult that is due to happen....
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by terry2972 »

Unless you are the worst postie going you will be kept on and eventually be glven a permanent contract
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by datasaint »

Don't forget even if you're existing office don't keep you on you can try your luck with other offices, but as said it's not very common for contracts not to be renewed/made permanent, but I can appreciate it's not nice at all not knowing.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by wannabeek »

I've never heard of them trying on new terms when renewing a contract, that only ever seems to apply to new contracts so I wouldn't worry much about that.

As others have said, most offices are massively understaffed so unless you are a total disaster it's most likely that your renewal date will come and go and nothing will change, not even a new renewal date!

Different if it's a tiny office and you were only employed for maternity cover etc. Even so, I think you'd have to be a postal disaster to be let go so soon.
Kick the Bucket
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
Gender: Male

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by Kick the Bucket »

terry2972 wrote:Unless you are the worst postie going you will be kept on and eventually be glven a permanent contract
If it's anything like my office... Even if you're the worst postman in the world they keep you on. :d'oh!
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by terry2972 »

Thinking about it you are correct lol
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by Interested-seeker »

norm wrote:Don't forget even if you're existing office don't keep you on you can try your luck with other offices, but as said it's not very common for contracts not to be renewed/made permanent, but I can appreciate it's not nice at all not knowing.
Hi, my contract runs out this friday. I guess that they aren't renewing. I thought that I was doing alright and even the DOM said to me last week that he has no problems with me. Annoying thing is that there is a permanent contract for the same number of hours going in my local office (where I originally wanted to work).
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by Darren Bent »

Just keep going to work, and if there is nothing in writing about your contract ending, you still are employed. It is unlikely they will stop your contract.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by Interested-seeker »

Darren Bent wrote:Just keep going to work, and if there is nothing in writing about your contract ending, you still are employed. It is unlikely they will stop your contract.
Thanks for the reply. If they want my employment to cease then they have to notify me in writing? Okay, I will see if I get anything on Friday. I was just going to not turn up next week and see if they notice....
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Interested-seeker wrote:
Darren Bent wrote:Just keep going to work, and if there is nothing in writing about your contract ending, you still are employed. It is unlikely they will stop your contract.
Thanks for the reply. If they want my employment to cease then they have to notify me in writing? Okay, I will see if I get anything on Friday. I was just going to not turn up next week and see if they notice....
when mine ran out it took about 3 months before I got another one through the door. Even though it was a 1 month one :left:. All on all I got about 3 month ones, a 3 month one then got made permanent. Just don't worry and keep going to work.
fed_up_postie
Posts: 154
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: lost in space

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by fed_up_postie »

The worrying thing about these type of contracts is the law states NO notice has to be given! This HAS to change! RM are the world's worst company for communicating with its employees! How are you to know if you have to find a new job or not when your not told anything about your contract being renewed or not!
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by Interested-seeker »

CPTNemoUK wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:
Darren Bent wrote:Just keep going to work, and if there is nothing in writing about your contract ending, you still are employed. It is unlikely they will stop your contract.
Thanks for the reply. If they want my employment to cease then they have to notify me in writing? Okay, I will see if I get anything on Friday. I was just going to not turn up next week and see if they notice....
when mine ran out it took about 3 months before I got another one through the door. Even though it was a 1 month one :left:. All on all I got about 3 month ones, a 3 month one then got made permanent. Just don't worry and keep going to work.
Thanks :). I will try not to worry :nervous
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

6 month contract (ends mid Oct) - advice

Post by Interested-seeker »

fed_up_postie wrote:The worrying thing about these type of contracts is the law states NO notice has to be given! This HAS to change! RM are the world's worst company for communicating with its employees! How are you to know if you have to find a new job or not when your not told anything about your contract being renewed or not!
Agreed :thumbup . People need to know where they stand...