ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Getting out.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dayman!
Posts: 51
Joined: 07 Nov 2016, 19:06
Gender: Male

Getting out.

Post by Dayman! »

I've seen various people on here posting saying they have managed to get out and wishing everyone luck.

Which professions have people moved into from RM?

Obviously some will have moved from something else and been able to head back. Others will simply have retired. Some will have qualifications leading them but many are here because it is a relatively easy job to get into.

So for any of you out there still reading despite being away, where has life after royal mail taken you?
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Getting out.

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Dayman! wrote:I've seen various people on here posting saying they have managed to get out and wishing everyone luck.

Which professions have people moved into from RM?

Obviously some will have moved from something else and been able to head back. Others will simply have retired. Some will have qualifications leading them but many are here because it is a relatively easy job to get into.

So for any of you out there still reading despite being away, where has life after royal mail taken you?
I am trying to get out but have applied for jobs doing hospital portering. Full time hours, 3 days a week. Still a lot of walking and talking to the public which i miss in this job. The bonus thing also it's indoors :nana
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Getting out.

Post by Mobey »

CPTNemoUK wrote:
Dayman! wrote: Still a lot of walking and talking to the public which i miss in this job. The bonus thing also it's indoors :nana
You'll still have relatives, patients and staff to talk too. And the frequent deceased too!

It'll probably be outdoors too when it's pouring rain and you need collect something or take numerous samples to the lab in the pouring rain!! :thumbup
holly123
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 12:45
Gender: Male

Getting out.

Post by holly123 »

I left but I'm classed as a retired union member with over 20yr service, it's a massive move leaving, all the great banter, a large mixed race work force working together, always someone cheering others up , but its all the s**t the crap managers do as they can't manage just bully , this ruins royal mail for everyone,
But I walked into another job straight away bus driving ,£21500 a yr plus overtime, not as much fun as with you lads and lasses but no lugging a 32kg trolley about , frozen wet fingers, no harassmentracis , got offered traffic warden job, part time community bobby, there is work out there, just need to look, good luck all, fight hard, your job not moyas
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Getting out.

Post by wacko74 »

Although I'm not desperate to leave RM I did apply for a few jobs local to me a while back, just out of curiosity more than anything else.

All were (I felt) well within my capabilities and skill set, all were lower pay than what I'm currently on, they were...

a couple of delivery driver jobs for local firms,
supermarket delivery driver
weekend work at a large pet food store
weekend work at garden centre
local car hire place (valeting, and carrying out basic checks and servicing)

... I didn't even get a single acknowledgement from any of the applications!!
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Getting out.

Post by NWpostie »

Your age could be against you assuming from your user name you were born in 1974, at 43 there are lots of younger unskilled (cheaper and mallable) workers to take on.

It's not right, it's how the world is, I would stick it out and build up some savings and retrain in college if you're still determined to get out.

Me personally I'm sticking it out as I've only got 10 years left til retirement so no point trying to jump ship just now, considering how they going to try to mess up our pension, I will have to try and build up enough reserve to live on for the rest of my life in the meantime, 10 years could be the difference between living or surviving on a pension.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
FAB
Posts: 234
Joined: 06 May 2017, 22:57
Gender: Male

Getting out.

Post by FAB »

NWpostie wrote:Your age could be against you assuming from your user name you were born in 1974, at 43 there are lots of younger unskilled (cheaper and mallable) workers to take on.

It's not right, it's how the world is, I would stick it out and build up some savings and retrain in college if you're still determined to get out.

Me personally I'm sticking it out as I've only got 10 years left til retirement so no point trying to jump ship just now, considering how they going to try to mess up our pension, I will have to try and build up enough reserve to live on for the rest of my life in the meantime, 10 years could be the difference between living or surviving on a pension.
Are you aiming for 60 or 65?
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Getting out.

Post by NWpostie »

60 no point waiting til 65, depending on how the scheme turns out post strike agreement, currently I'm planning to take NRA60 and defer NRA65 to allow it accrue in value before claiming then 2 years later claim state pension at 67.

Of course this could change depending on what kind if agreement we may get regarding my pension.

The job has changed a lot since I started, now I'm just marking time and holding out against any pressure to work like a donkey.
Last edited by NWpostie on 25 Sep 2017, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
FAB
Posts: 234
Joined: 06 May 2017, 22:57
Gender: Male

Getting out.

Post by FAB »

NWpostie wrote:60 no point waiting til 65, depending on how the scheme turns out post strike agreement, currently I'm planning to take NRA60 and defer NRA60 to allow it acre in value before claiming then 2 years later claim state pension at 67.

Of course this could change depending on what kind if agreement we may get regarding my pension.

The job has changed a lot since I started, now I'm just marking time and holding out against any pressure to work like a donkey.
Same here! It angers me not so much how the job has changed but how we are now treated ! No consideration on an individual needs or health. Just do all this ever increasing work and consider yourself lucky!
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

Getting out.

Post by ewancurze »

NWpostie wrote:60 no point waiting til 65, depending on how the scheme turns out post strike agreement, currently I'm planning to take NRA60 and defer NRA60 to allow it acre in value before claiming then 2 years later claim state pension at 67.

Of course this could change depending on what kind if agreement we may get regarding my pension.

The job has changed a lot since I started, now I'm just marking time and holding out against any pressure to work like a donkey.
Same here,I am 58 now and been in 14yrs so if health holds out I will try to make it through till the bitter end.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Getting out.

Post by twoloops »

Same here Wacko I applied for the scabbiest low end jobs (jumble collection/pharmacy delivery etc) after 28 years in engineering most never even replied so be very careful before you jump ship, the grass is not always greener on the other side, RM where the only ones that gave me a chance admittedly on 6 x times less money, but must admit I love it, easy & stress free.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Getting out.

Post by wacko74 »

mattycash wrote:Same here Wacko I applied for the scabbiest low end jobs (jumble collection/pharmacy delivery etc) after 28 years in engineering most never even replied so be very careful before you jump ship, the grass is not always greener on the other side, RM where the only ones that gave me a chance admittedly on 6 x times less money, but must admit I love it, easy & stress free.

It does make you wonder just what the motives are of those people who insist that the UK needs unlimited, unskilled immigration, when (in my and possibly your area at least) these type of job vacancies are obviously so overwhelmed with applicants that I wouldn't mind betting half the applications just go straight in the bin without even being looked at.

Fortunately I'm really not desperate to leave RM, I only applied for these jobs out of idle curiosity, just to see how I would get on in the interview process etc... didn't even get the chance to get that far!
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Getting out.

Post by Brandy »

Did I make the right decision getting out? Yes I realise now I did make the best decision ever.
I used to love being a postie,even used to look forward to going in to work,the posties were a great bunch and loved the banter. You were treated and spoken to with respect by the management,out in all weathers,sometimes you were the only face the elderly and lonely would see all in all a great job So why leave?
The bullying by managers began,you were made to feel as though as you were not up to the job anymore even though I had been with RM for years,I started to dread going into work,I used to be so careful with my job but the appalling way I was spoken to and treated by the managers in the end my heart wasnt in the the job anymore.
So yes I am so glad I was able to get out when I did,RM should be ashamed at the way they treat their posties,they are a great hardworking bunch and I wish them all the best,just stick together.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Getting out.

Post by Darren Bent »

I would be looking to get out, but it is harder for deaf people. I also don't know what job to apply for. But if the vote went badly, and I might have to look into it next year.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Getting out.

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I am trying to get out but have applied for jobs doing hospital portering. Full time hours, 3 days a week. Still a lot of walking and talking to the public which i miss in this job. The bonus thing also it's indoors :nana
Quick update got a email today confirming i have got a job interview :nana i can see the light :dance
Last edited by CPTNemoUK on 25 Sep 2017, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.