ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can you be forced to take Annual Leave?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Can you be forced to take Annual Leave?

Post by wacko74 »

Probably a stupid question but can you be forced to take your unused AL in a specific week?

i.e. in a ''strike week'' which I highly suspect my DOM will try on.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Can you be forced to take Annual Leave?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yes within certain limits they can tell you when, and when not, to take leave. However, I couldn't see Royal Mail doing it as it's cheaper to show you down as striking. (No pension payments, no wages, no allowances etc).

Also, the notice to tell you to take leave is at least twice as long as the leave they are enforcing. So for a week, they have to give you 14 days notice, the same length of time as the CWU have to give RM for the strikes.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Can you be forced to take Annual Leave?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes within certain limits they can tell you when, and when not, to take leave. However, I couldn't see Royal Mail doing it as it's cheaper to show you down as striking. (No pension payments, no wages, no allowances etc).

Also, the notice to tell you to take leave is at least twice as long as the leave they are enforcing. So for a week, they have to give you 14 days notice, the same length of time as the CWU have to give RM for the strikes.
TBT,
But no matter which is "cheaper" Royal Mail will again want to quote the maximum number NOT on strike and that will include those off sick, those on holiday, etc. :shock:
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Can you be forced to take Annual Leave?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yeah, but I cant see Royal Mail organising 1000 offices to put people on leave, tell them in such a short time that Plan strike is a go, and the managers (the link most under pressure) identifying who they can put on leave for a week and inform the said victim, and all within a single working day.

Most likely it'll be OPGs asking for, and probably getting a day or 2s leave to cover the strike days. Its not something I could bring myself to do, but I recognise its something people will want to.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Can you be forced to take Annual Leave?

Post by Creditshampoo »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes within certain limits they can tell you when, and when not, to take leave. However, I couldn't see Royal Mail doing it as it's cheaper to show you down as striking. (No pension payments, no wages, no allowances etc).

Also, the notice to tell you to take leave is at least twice as long as the leave they are enforcing. So for a week, they have to give you 14 days notice, the same length of time as the CWU have to give RM for the strikes.
Do you have a source for this rule please would love to print it out and save it
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Can you be forced to take Annual Leave?

Post by The Postman »

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only advises on how much notice the employee should give for booking leave not the employer enforcing it.

Edit: In actual fact section 4 : Booking Time Off states;

When leave can and can’t be taken
Employers can:

tell their staff to take leave, for example bank holidays or Christmas
restrict when leave can be taken, for example at certain busy periods
There may be rules about this in the employment contract or it may be what normally happens in the workplace. The notice period for this is at least twice as long as the leave they want their staff to take.

:wink:
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Can you be forced to take Annual Leave?

Post by aiden01 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yeah, but I cant see Royal Mail organising 1000 offices to put people on leave, tell them in such a short time that Plan strike is a go, and the managers (the link most under pressure) identifying who they can put on leave for a week and inform the said victim, and all within a single working day.

Most likely it'll be OPGs asking for, and probably getting a day or 2s leave to cover the strike days. Its not something I could bring myself to do, but I recognise its something people will want to.
Neither could I tbt but know of a few in our mc who have done in past strikes least said about them the better.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Can you be forced to take Annual Leave?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yeah, but I cant see Royal Mail organising 1000 offices to put people on leave, tell them in such a short time that Plan strike is a go, and the managers (the link most under pressure) identifying who they can put on leave for a week and inform the said victim, and all within a single working day.

Most likely it'll be OPGs asking for, and probably getting a day or 2s leave to cover the strike days. Its not something I could bring myself to do, but I recognise its something people will want to.
TBT,
Yes, that's right.
With strikes before I think I remember Royal Mail saying that leave would not be granted for individual strike days which would have been the cowardly option for those wanting neither loss of pay nor crossing a picket line.