ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Crushing duty for part timer

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
raid2506
Posts: 7
Joined: 29 Oct 2015, 17:30
Gender: Male

Crushing duty for part timer

Post by raid2506 »

I started a 20 hr contract 2 years ago as it suited my other obligations but there's always been a push to get me to work over.
10:00-14:00 fit in with the school run and other things I like to do in my 'life' and managers hate me cutting off or refusing to start early.
My argument being that I don't get full time holiday or pension and I only want and am contracted to do 20 hours so why should I work over?

About 50% of my DO is part time on full time rounds.

I eventually let them change it to split a duty with an old sweat who wanted to go part time, 3 days a week 08:00 to 14:40 but that's as far as I can push it.
I throw off, bag up and deliver a rural route on P+L.
Summertime I have 6 loops with 2 bags per loop and half a York of packets, in winter that goes up to about 11-12 bags and 1-2 Yorks of packets. I have to cut off, there's no way I can do that in 5 hour delivery (which is actually tested at 4.5 hrs), my meal relief goes into overtime every day.
I already leave half my round in the frame during winter for the next day, which just backs up over 3 days. I feel sorry for the guy who takes over from me and has to catch up.

If the duty slides back in the day then I'll have to quit :(
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Crushing duty for part timer

Post by Creditshampoo »

Stick to your guns mate.
No need to feel sorry for the next guy he is welcome to cut off too
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Crushing duty for part timer

Post by LaggyBand »

We have a few part timers at our office; only one of them took a part time job because they actually wanted part time, and she too feels the pressure to 'act' full time that you describe.

If you are seriously considering quitting, why not just follow procedure first and see how long it lasts?

Work your hours, work at a reasonable pace, and finish on your time. Go home and remember that you have done what you agreed to do. That was the deal from the get go.

Try to detach yourself emotionally from your working day. There are many like you up and down the country in the same boat. It isn't you that is the problem. You are sticking to the deal you made.

You may find that soon enough you are allocated to duties that better suit your contract and you will have not ditched what *can* be a good job.

Consistency on your part is the key to making this happen as quickly as possible. Everyday, stick to the contract.
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Crushing duty for part timer

Post by telithowitis »

There are a few lads in our DO who just do their 20 hrs
You are dead right RM want their cake and eat it by not paying full time wages when you are on holiday or it's quiet etc.
The lads in our office just stick to their guns and after a while they get left alone, I actually think the more blunt you are about it the better. And they stick to 20 in the run up to Christmas too. Do not feel pressurised to work RM system, they care nothing for the part timers who want full time hours when RM don't want them and its quiet so why should you put yourself out when you they want you!!
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Crushing duty for part timer

Post by iHateD2Ds »

Royal Mail want you to be flexible but when you try flexing the other way it snaps.Yes, Royal Mail is broken.

TAke on other posters replies.

DO not feel guilty about just doing your contracted hours , you took on the job because the hours suited your lifestyle.
Let the managers worry about the undelivered Mail ,it's there job to manage staff accordingly for the work load.
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Crushing duty for part timer

Post by loverman shabba »

i bet if you went in and asked for a full time contract they wouldn't give you it so why give them what they want