ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Weighing Scales Removed
-
mudmonster
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 107
- Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Weighing Scales Removed
Hello,I know this sounds petty,but our scales were removed from the office about 6 months ago,so now we can't weigh our pouches/trolleys,yet before they went it was impressed upon us that they had be weighed before we left office,thoughts please and have other offices lost the scales.
Mud
Mud
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Weighing Scales Removed
If it was impressed upon you that pouches and trolleys had be weighed before you left the office and there are now no means of weighing the pouches and trolleys then maybe you can't go out on delivery
in which case it will be management's problem, not yours. 
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Weighing Scales Removed
Go sick with a dodgy back!
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Weighing Scales Removed
Scales, what's that? Ours have been out of action and outside for years,
-
matta
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Weighing Scales Removed
You should be using your light weight trolleys Diamond, that was brought in so we couldn't claim against RM for injuries such as this. If we used these it wouldn't matter what weight the bags were thus negating the need for scales.DiamondSmiles wrote:Go sick with a dodgy back!
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Weighing Scales Removed
Scales, that's not what'll fall off Royal Mail management's eyes at the beginning of next month is it ?Shaders wrote:Scales, what's that? Ours have been out of action and outside for years,
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Weighing Scales Removed
Yes, once your out on delivery but 'officially' you should be weighing bags beforehand (but very few do now)matta wrote:You should be using your light weight trolleys Diamond, that was brought in so we couldn't claim against RM for injuries such as this. If we used these it wouldn't matter what weight the bags were thus negating the need for scales.DiamondSmiles wrote:Go sick with a dodgy back!
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Weighing Scales Removed
The max weight for lwt is 2x 16kg.matta wrote:You should be using your light weight trolleys Diamond, that was brought in so we couldn't claim against RM for injuries such as this. If we used these it wouldn't matter what weight the bags were thus negating the need for scales.DiamondSmiles wrote:Go sick with a dodgy back!
What if you use HCT?
What if you need to put extra drop bags out? How do you ensure they comply with the 11kg max?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
goneaway
- Posts: 314
- Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 19:50
- Gender: Male
Weighing Scales Removed
There should still be the ability to weigh bags, even if using a trolley, as if the bag weight is excessive, strain injuries can still be sustained lifting the bags onto and from the van and lifting them to secure them on the trolleys.
-
poisonivy6
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 30 Nov 2016, 18:32
- Gender: Male
Weighing Scales Removed
In my experience RM will turn a blind eye to any H&S issue or come to think of it any issue that's brought up if it means the work wont be done , a classic example is in our office , I don't know if its still a rule but I heard it was always one to a frame with regards to sorting , but sometimes you've got 15 people crammed onto 6 frames trying to sort. I always shout out " one to a frame please" just to wind the managers up.
They always bleat on about make sure you do this, make sure you do that , etc etc , yet I guarantee if you asked the DOM ,lino where the scales were so you could weigh your pouches they would think you was just trying to be bloody minded.
They always bleat on about make sure you do this, make sure you do that , etc etc , yet I guarantee if you asked the DOM ,lino where the scales were so you could weigh your pouches they would think you was just trying to be bloody minded.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Weighing Scales Removed
Our scales disappeared when we had another office crammed into ours several years ago (we've had another office shoehorned in too since then
).
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Weighing Scales Removed
This is a pet hate of mine. When I'm on a singleton duty I have just 2 pouches for the entire day. I hook the empty bags onto the LWT and put bundles and packets into it from trays in the back of the van.
Whenever I'm on a paired duty we have a van full of prefilled bags, many of them massively overweight and they are a real nuisance to hook onto the trolleys.
I so hate paired duties.
Whenever I'm on a paired duty we have a van full of prefilled bags, many of them massively overweight and they are a real nuisance to hook onto the trolleys.
I so hate paired duties.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Weighing Scales Removed
Yep ours have long gone,like most things to do with h&s ,doing things safely and securely takes far too much time until something goes wrong and they pounce on you,all this is never taken into account with duty times etc,nothing has the time built in for doing things correctly,instead of rushing about like lunatics!!
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Weighing Scales Removed
Had a parcel recently. It was a microwave oven. Said on the packaging that it weighed 18kg. How the hecky-peck did this item enter our system and go out on a singleton delivery when our supposed lifting limit is 16kg??? Stupid lying company.
PS, I got a colleague to carry it out to my van with me and I knocked on the recipient's door then got them to carry it into their house from the back of the van. Don't know if that's correct procedure but it was what I decided to do in the circumstances on the spot - he was a large fella!
I can physically lift 18kg but I've signed RM forms to say that I won't.
Stupid lying company.
PS, I got a colleague to carry it out to my van with me and I knocked on the recipient's door then got them to carry it into their house from the back of the van. Don't know if that's correct procedure but it was what I decided to do in the circumstances on the spot - he was a large fella!
I can physically lift 18kg but I've signed RM forms to say that I won't.
Stupid lying company.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Weighing Scales Removed
But if 18kg parcels keep getting delivered then Royal Mail will keep accepting 18kg or heavier parcels.wannabeek wrote:Had a parcel recently. It was a microwave oven. Said on the packaging that it weighed 18kg. How the hecky-peck did this item enter our system and go out on a singleton delivery when our supposed lifting limit is 16kg??? Stupid lying company.
PS, I got a colleague to carry it out to my van with me and I knocked on the recipient's door then got them to carry it into their house from the back of the van. Don't know if that's correct procedure but it was what I decided to do in the circumstances on the spot - he was a large fella!
I can physically lift 18kg but I've signed RM forms to say that I won't.
Stupid lying company.