Hi guys
Im currently still on my probation period. I've had one day off previous due to my son being sick.
I'm have been off this week since Wednesday with today being my rest day & I very much doubt I'll be well enough to go in tomorrow.
I am really worried that my job will be on the line. My dom spoke to me the other day & mentioned that my 3 months probationary period is up & he has no problems with my attitude or work apart from going over my contracted hours to complete or cutting off as I have to pick my son up from school however he said he understands as the work load has picked up a lot & he doesn't see why he won't be extending my probationary period to 6 months.
I am really worried now though. What do you think he will say ??
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Sickness.....Will they fire me ?
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Sickness.....Will they fire me ?
No you won't be getting sacked. Stop worrying and get well soon.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Sickness.....Will they fire me ?
Most offices are really understaffed, so short of punching out a customer you're pretty much safe so try not to worry about it! 
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Sickness.....Will they fire me ?
Don't worry. You should be fine. I have seen many people who shouldn't have had their probation extended due to performance issues and they have all survived so you'll be fine :)
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Sickness.....Will they fire me ?
I wouldn't worry about it. I've had time off when my son was poorly. It doesn't go down as sick leave against you; it was marked down as Special Leave Unpaid.
I cut off yesterday as I was moved on to a different duty and I had to pick my son up at 3.15. At the end of the day, overtime is not compulsory so if you've worked your contracted hours they can't force you to go over.
I cut off yesterday as I was moved on to a different duty and I had to pick my son up at 3.15. At the end of the day, overtime is not compulsory so if you've worked your contracted hours they can't force you to go over.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Sickness.....Will they fire me ?
You don't get paid for sickness in first year so it won't cost your DOM anything. And the probation period is a bit of a con really. If anything its RM on probation as most new starts leave within first six months.
-
BigSam1970
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 15 Sep 2017, 12:16
- Gender: Male
Sickness.....Will they fire me ?
Hi being off for your son being sick is not counted as sickness on your behalf, it is called dependants leave. You can take reasonable time off to look after your dependants (son).
Royal Mail did sack someone on probation for taking time off to look after their son http://www.xperthr.co.uk/blogs/employme ... r-ill-son/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They where taken to a tribunal and lost and hopefully they have learned their lesson. Make sure you where put down for special leave.
One day off should never be an issue
Royal Mail did sack someone on probation for taking time off to look after their son http://www.xperthr.co.uk/blogs/employme ... r-ill-son/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They where taken to a tribunal and lost and hopefully they have learned their lesson. Make sure you where put down for special leave.
One day off should never be an issue
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Sickness.....Will they fire me ?
Don't worry about it, I went sick for 8 days in my trial year, all it did was extend the trial.
Also, they can't sack you for a poor sick record without going through a particular process, for trialists the only reason they'd not make you substantive would be performance related and probably a lot of customer complaints with no improvement.
Also, they can't sack you for a poor sick record without going through a particular process, for trialists the only reason they'd not make you substantive would be performance related and probably a lot of customer complaints with no improvement.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lilly J
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 18 Apr 2017, 17:29
- Gender: Female
Sickness.....Will they fire me ?
Hey MissKazzyB
I've been thinking the exact same thing! I had a day off sick a couple of months ago, and I've now been off sick this week and I'm not past my probation yet, so I've been worrying about it too! I would say that it takes them so long to recruit people, they're better off keeping those who are doing ok who've had no major mishaps, and not be looking at sick leave.
Get yourself well soon! And I'd sent you a couple of PMs, but not sure if you'd seen them. Good to see you here :-)
I've been thinking the exact same thing! I had a day off sick a couple of months ago, and I've now been off sick this week and I'm not past my probation yet, so I've been worrying about it too! I would say that it takes them so long to recruit people, they're better off keeping those who are doing ok who've had no major mishaps, and not be looking at sick leave.
Get yourself well soon! And I'd sent you a couple of PMs, but not sure if you'd seen them. Good to see you here :-)