ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Satan's letterbox

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
banner
Posts: 125
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 16:38

Satan's letterbox

Post by banner »

Image

I want to say a little something about these so called letter boxes. I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM!
Whoever designed them couldn't make a paper airplane. They have the most appalling design I've ever witnessed. Nothing fits in unless its an ultra thin envelope the size of a mobile phone. The perforated flap catches your fingernails as you try to hopelessly stuff letters into this thing. Does the designer come from Lilliput or something? Its satanic design makes me think an ex royal mail manager may be behind its production and he is laughing and rubbing his hands as it causes misery for tens of thousands of posties.

For now, it looks as though we are stuck with these things thwarting the lives of ordinary decent posties and maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but sometime in the far future we posties will rise up against these monstrous contraptions and fling them back into the depths of hell from whence they came. :evil/mad
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Satan's letterbox

Post by crazyshrew »

A p739 fits in quite nicely though. If the messy origami they receive doesn't get the message across, daily trips to the DO might
poisonivy6
Posts: 16
Joined: 30 Nov 2016, 18:32
Gender: Male

Satan's letterbox

Post by poisonivy6 »

I have to agree , I have a few on my delivery and even getting normal letters in is a pain in the arse , I always catch my fingers on the thin metal as I'm pushing the mail in , and if you get one of those screwfix catalogues or any other decent size magazine you can forget even trying to get those in.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Satan's letterbox

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Satan's letterbox

Post by Dexydog »

I got the exact same one just put on a wall on my round.
Yesterday I had to knock on the guy's door because I had a brochure.
He looked at me stupid and I explained how small it is.
He just shrugged and shut the door.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Satan's letterbox

Post by ted_e_bear »

My thoughts exactly, just had another one crop up on my walk, f@@k all fits in it except a std letter, can't even get this weeks d2ds in without folding them up, mind you just imagine if royal mail sold letterboxes this is what it would be like !!
postslippete
Posts: 4196
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Satan's letterbox

Post by postslippete »

Whats wrong with this letterbox - mail's dwindling you know!! One guy said to me he had it built because he was fed up of the royal mail crap that he was getting.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
elteleltel
Posts: 120
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
Gender: Male
Location: Hertfordshire

Satan's letterbox

Post by elteleltel »

As bad as low letterboxes which should be illegal . No lower than 80 cm perhaps
Alexei
Posts: 222
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
Gender: Male

Satan's letterbox

Post by Alexei »

If I have any items that don't fit in them, I still put through the door. If no letterbox, then I 739.
FAB
Posts: 234
Joined: 06 May 2017, 22:57
Gender: Male

Satan's letterbox

Post by FAB »

Had one of those fitted outside the home of a builder who installed himself. It fell off the wall after a week and now sits on the ground! Won't be using him for any building work!
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Satan's letterbox

Post by yubin282 »

a customer had one of these on the front door, when they got a new door it didn't have a letter box so they just left the old door complete with box resting against the garden fence.

i suppose someone could've run off with the whole door
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Satan's letterbox

Post by Justanotherstar »

Roll up the letters and just leave them hanging out...they'll soon get the message with winter coming :chuckle

Seriously, they're s**t and completely useless for anything over a small letter :mad :mad :mad
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Satan's letterbox

Post by Lounge Lizard »

poisonivy6 wrote:I have to agree , I have a few on my delivery and even getting normal letters in is a pain in the arse , I always catch my fingers on the thin metal as I'm pushing the mail in , and if you get one of those screwfix catalogues or any other decent size magazine you can forget even trying to get those in.
But reaching in and a certain amount of pressure in the right place opens the locked door then, with the screwfix catalogues or any other decent size magazines inside, it's a similar pressure in the right place and it's 'securely' locked again and the owner returns puzzled as to how anything that size got in undamaged. :thumbup - or so I'm told. :cuppa
stan_lers
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
Gender: Male

Satan's letterbox

Post by stan_lers »

I don't know if it's the same kind in the photo, but I had a customer once who bought one of these, but the slot was not even wide enough to fit a DVLA-size envelope though. You had to fold it which meant it was stiffer and therefore really hard to push through. Literally anything bigger than that was impossible to put in.

The sole purpose of a letter box is for letters to be pushed through. It's amazing the lengths some people go to to make that as difficult as possible.
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Satan's letterbox

Post by bmccoll »

I reckon they were designed for decorative purposes, completely useless otherwise. I've got one on my round where you have to fold the letters into four and squeeze it in. Thing is the house looks like a palace, all glass and marble... and no letterbox :arrrghhh

Here's one, a row of houses were built in a scheme we called millionaire's row. This one house had a huge glass front instead of brick, inside was all marble floors, chandeliers and a sweeping staircase. Stuck on the front door was a scribbled note telling the postman to push their mail under the garage door. The arseholes forgot about putting in a letterbox :crazy: