ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Post by datasaint »

Had a moment earlier this week that really vexed me. I called at a property, delivered the post in a box on the wall, about half way back down the path which is obscured by view from the house you can hear owner open the doors and the sound of rampaging dogs being let loose now chasing after me.

Honestly, no respect shown, clearly they've gone to get the post from the box, but haven't bothered to keep the dogs inside, is it too difficult to wait a minute or two until the postman has left?

And again today, called at a different property with a parcel, no answer, walk back towards the gate where the box is, before I get there I'm being chased by two dogs because the owner has now come to the door. :roll: I don't want this to happen again because the dogs were actually quite agressive, there's no means of alerting the owners from where the box is on the gate, so can I just 739 anything in future?
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Post by loverman shabba »

if you feel the dogs are any threat just dont go in the garden at all
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Post by fly-catchers »

I got told off a while back for not closing the gate behind me when delivering as their dogs might get out! Sure I want to be trapped in their garden with their aggressive dogs!! :roll:
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Post by bmccoll »

If you ener their property, leave the gate open. If they let the dogs loose afterwards advise your inspector that you feel threatened by them and refuse to enter the grounds. It is up to them to sort it out. That's why they get paid more than us.
elteleltel
Posts: 120
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
Gender: Male
Location: Hertfordshire

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Post by elteleltel »

Company policy I believe is " don't put yourself at risk " . Not worth the risk of injury . Actually think RM is on our side re dogs
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Post by aiden01 »

elteleltel wrote:Company policy I believe is " don't put yourself at risk " . Not worth the risk of injury . Actually think RM is on our side re dogs
You actually believe RM give a flying f..k :thumbdown
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

aiden01 wrote:
elteleltel wrote:Company policy I believe is " don't put yourself at risk " . Not worth the risk of injury . Actually think RM is on our side re dogs
You actually believe RM give a flying f..k :thumbdown

On dogs they do. Probably because a letter to a Customer is more cost efficient than a postie off work because of a dog bite.

Call me cynical if you want.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Post by ScousePostie »

aiden01 wrote:
elteleltel wrote:Company policy I believe is " don't put yourself at risk " . Not worth the risk of injury . Actually think RM is on our side re dogs
You actually believe RM give a flying f..k :thumbdown
You're right, they don't.

I was bit by a dog at the end of last year. Woman opened door for parcel I was delivering, she was trying to keep two dogs behind her with her foot. It didn't work and one of the dogs came flying out the front door, naturally I put my hand out as the dog jump up at me and managed to bite three fingers. The woman asked if I was okay whilst my fingers were pouring with blood.

I went back the office straight away and informed DOM. I told him I'd be going to the walk-in centre. His reply was, "is it that bad?". :arrrghhh

I reported it to the Police through Royal Mail. The owner was given a warning and was told she had to secure her dogs before answering the door. The Police found out that it was the cleaner who opened the door, the owner wasn't at home.

I have delivered to the address since and had no problems, but I'm very aware that the dogs are behind the door when I knock.

Managers just don't want to have to do paperwork.
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Post by loverman shabba »

ScousePostie wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
elteleltel wrote:Company policy I believe is " don't put yourself at risk " . Not worth the risk of injury . Actually think RM is on our side re dogs
You actually believe RM give a flying f..k :thumbdown
You're right, they don't.

I was bit by a dog at the end of last year. Woman opened door for parcel I was delivering, she was trying to keep two dogs behind her with her foot. It didn't work and one of the dogs came flying out the front door, naturally I put my hand out as the dog jump up at me and managed to bite three fingers. The woman asked if I was okay whilst my fingers were pouring with blood.

I went back the office straight away and informed DOM. I told him I'd be going to the walk-in centre. His reply was, "is it that bad?". :arrrghhh

I reported it to the Police through Royal Mail. The owner was given a warning and was told she had to secure her dogs before answering the door. The Police found out that it was the cleaner who opened the door, the owner wasn't at home.

I have delivered to the address since and had no problems, but I'm very aware that the dogs are behind the door when I knock.

Managers just don't want to have to do paperwork.
manager was just hoping you had 1 finger left to lift the letterbox to post mail in future
t3mcIUQWE2
Posts: 137
Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
Gender: Male

Customers who let their dogs out after you've been to their address?

Post by t3mcIUQWE2 »

ScousePostie wrote:I have delivered to the address since
Why are you doing that? :crazy: