In our office we have two separate sections in the annual leave books, one for full time, one for part time. Most weeks there are around 12 vacant slots for FT and four for PT. So when the first round of selection is done, invariably the part time slots are full and there are usually slots available for the full timers for the second round of signing. Part timers aren't allowed to fill full time slots.
So basically if you are full time you are more likely to get the weeks you want as you have more options available.
Is this legal or is it discrimination?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Full time/part time annual leave selection
-
scorched
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
- Gender: Male
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Full time/part time annual leave selection
Is the ratio of Ft/PT holiday slots equal to the ratio of ft/PT workers?
If there were three times as many ft workers as part time workers then it would make some sense as it ensures there won't be surplus work or workers. It would be silly to too many full timers in covering PT duties or too many part timers with not enough hours to cover the workload.
I wouldn't think it's discrimination as long as everybody has the opportunity to take all the leave they are entitled to.
If there were three times as many ft workers as part time workers then it would make some sense as it ensures there won't be surplus work or workers. It would be silly to too many full timers in covering PT duties or too many part timers with not enough hours to cover the workload.
I wouldn't think it's discrimination as long as everybody has the opportunity to take all the leave they are entitled to.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Full time/part time annual leave selection
As crazyshrew says it all depends on the ratio of FT to PT in the office.scorched wrote:Is this legal or is it discrimination?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
scorched
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
- Gender: Male
Full time/part time annual leave selection
Well we have around 100 FT and 40 PT. I checked the books, for most weeks there are 17 FT spaces and 4 PT spaces. I don't know how to work the exact ratios out but I'm pretty sure those don't match.
Besides, we often have the situation where after all the leave is assigned and there are spaces available a full timer is allowed to take A/L in a full timer gap but a part timer is denied it. Surely that example is discrimination? Seeing as how practically every week's part timer spaces are fully taken it makes it very difficult for a part timer to take leave.
Besides, we often have the situation where after all the leave is assigned and there are spaces available a full timer is allowed to take A/L in a full timer gap but a part timer is denied it. Surely that example is discrimination? Seeing as how practically every week's part timer spaces are fully taken it makes it very difficult for a part timer to take leave.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Full time/part time annual leave selection
Ratio of Pt to FT workers is 2/5scorched wrote:Well we have around 100 FT and 40 PT. I checked the books, for most weeks there are 17 FT spaces and 4 PT spaces. I don't know how to work the exact ratios out but I'm pretty sure those don't match.
Besides, we often have the situation where after all the leave is assigned and there are spaces available a full timer is allowed to take A/L in a full timer gap but a part timer is denied it. Surely that example is discrimination? Seeing as how practically every week's part timer spaces are fully taken it makes it very difficult for a part timer to take leave.
Ratio of PT to FT leave is 1/4
Chances of FT getting their choice is roughly 1 in 5 - whilst part-timers is 1 in 10.
Rough guess work I'd say reduce the FT leave by 2 and increase the PT by the same amount. Gives everyone roughly the same ratio per person.
Now all you need to do is convince the rep if in the Union or draw up a paper and present it to Managers.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
scorched
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
- Gender: Male
Full time/part time annual leave selection
That makes sense thanks! I might have an ask around the other part timers to see if they want to take it further because as it stands it does seem like we're being short changed.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Full time/part time annual leave selection
f
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
-
scorched
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
- Gender: Male
Full time/part time annual leave selection
Yeah, I mean obviously not all weeks are the same, during autumn it's something like 12 and 3, and in November it's 3 and 1 or something like that, but I'm pretty sure over the whole year we are getting stitched up. I think it's down to about a dozen full timers leaving and being replaced by about a dozen 25 hour contracts! And all the part time contracts are in one group on the leave sheets, whether they're 35, 34, 30 or 25 hours.