ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Holidays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rmworker17
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Aug 2017, 13:45
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by rmworker17 »

Need advice, found a deal on a holiday that i have been wanting to take for many years now, it is for next May and i need to take 3 weeks off, i contacted my manager to ask for the time off to be told i couldnt have it off. I thought i was on the ball and giving them enough notice, so does that mean that i am unable to plan ahead? it has annoyed me because it looks like i will not be able to go because the deal will be gone.
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by chickenwittle »

The joys of working for Royal Mail I'm afraid .
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Holidays

Post by tonytucker »

rmworker17 wrote:Need advice, found a deal on a holiday that i have been wanting to take for many years now, it is for next May and i need to take 3 weeks off, i contacted my manager to ask for the time off to be told i couldnt have it off. I thought i was on the ball and giving them enough notice, so does that mean that i am unable to plan ahead? it has annoyed me because it looks like i will not be able to go because the deal will be gone.
Tough luck get over it,some of us have important things to worry about
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Holidays

Post by Shaders »

Your boss is being a twat unless the time is already fully booked.
Twice I have asked for extended annual leave in the past and been granted it both times.
Had to put it in writing, bigging it up a bit, holiday of a life time, special occasion etc etc.
Ask again, I know I would.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Holidays

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

tonytucker wrote:
rmworker17 wrote:Need advice, found a deal on a holiday that i have been wanting to take for many years now, it is for next May and i need to take 3 weeks off, i contacted my manager to ask for the time off to be told i couldnt have it off. I thought i was on the ball and giving them enough notice, so does that mean that i am unable to plan ahead? it has annoyed me because it looks like i will not be able to go because the deal will be gone.
Tough luck get over it,some of us have important things to worry about
What was the point of such a response?

He's looking for advice, whilst you don't have to offer it, he is certainly within his rights to ask for it. :roll:

Of course, anyone with more important things to do wouldn't have bothered replying, are you perhaps bored.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rmworker17
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Aug 2017, 13:45
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by rmworker17 »

well i guess different people have different things to worry about.

just new to the job and didnt expect to have this much trouble with holidays.

when does the holiday sheet come out for next year or does it vary in diferent offices?

thank you to those who have gave some helpful feedback
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by DiamondSmiles »

tonytucker wrote:
rmworker17 wrote:Need advice, found a deal on a holiday that i have been wanting to take for many years now, it is for next May and i need to take 3 weeks off, i contacted my manager to ask for the time off to be told i couldnt have it off. I thought i was on the ball and giving them enough notice, so does that mean that i am unable to plan ahead? it has annoyed me because it looks like i will not be able to go because the deal will be gone.
Tough luck get over it,some of us have important things to worry about
Bit harsh :no no
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by Bahia Feliz »

DiamondSmiles wrote:
tonytucker wrote:
rmworker17 wrote:Need advice, found a deal on a holiday that i have been wanting to take for many years now, it is for next May and i need to take 3 weeks off, i contacted my manager to ask for the time off to be told i couldnt have it off. I thought i was on the ball and giving them enough notice, so does that mean that i am unable to plan ahead? it has annoyed me because it looks like i will not be able to go because the deal will be gone.
Tough luck get over it,some of us have important things to worry about
Bit harsh :no no
He is probably still sore because the real Tony Tucker was shot dead in Essex,good film though :Very Happy
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Holidays

Post by crazyshrew »

Holidays are a nightmare in this company. And the method of picking is stuck in the (relative) stone age.
I've a very good friend who is getting married in April 2018, I know I'll need 3 days off, the day itself and a day either side for traveling.
I have known the date for over a year and I still have no idea if I can go yet, I'm so far down the leave list I have no idea if I'll get it, and if I do I still have to book 66% more time than I actually need.
As much as this company like to go on about being efficient and planning ahead, they sure as hell do their damndest to make that impossible.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by Creditshampoo »

Have your annual leave slots for next year even opened yet?! And buy another 2 weeks leave that'll annoy your manager
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by eastie »

Any troubles with holidays , pay someone to work it
rmworker17
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Aug 2017, 13:45
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by rmworker17 »

just thought May would be no problem as a lot of people want time off in june-august.

i was told when i asked for holidays this year that i would have to wait til the next year to get holidays because everyone had theirs in.

will have to wait and see whats left of leave then when the sheet comes round
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Holiday picks should not be done on seniority any more, Apr2018-Mar2019 leave should be completed for your depot by end of October 2017. :whistle :left:
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by wacko74 »

Yep welcome to Royal Mail, people still don't believe me when I tell them I can't get a certain date off even when they've given me 6-12 months notice!

What REALLY annoys me is that we have to book all our annual leave a full year in advance yet we don't usually find out what duty we're on and what day off we've got for the following week until the Friday afternoon of the week before!
Driver74
Posts: 117
Joined: 18 May 2017, 19:59
Gender: Male

Holidays

Post by Driver74 »

Can't think why may would be a problem in our office April and may are the last months to be picked when it comes to summer leave