ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Signing for items troubles

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by Anonymouse »

I've been placed in an another office for a month since they're down a few staff members but it's ok for me since it's a bit closer to home. Anyway, I was being trained on a rural duty today (i've never done that type of round before) and the postie kept signing for items themselves when no one was in - even specials. I didn't really know what to say as i didn't want to cause any bad blood between us plus the customers all seem happy with this type of service.

I'm dreading tomorrow since I don't feel comfortable doing this but if I suddenly start P739-ing items and customers get a bit annoyed by having to trail into town then it might get flagged up and put me and the original postie in bother.

I know they're not doing the job properly but I still don't want to be a grass, you know? :sad:
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by Postie45 »

DO NOT DO IT 100% NO NO NO NO NO .... but at the end of the day, if you want to play lottery with your job thats up to you... no way in hell id do it, id 739 the lot and wouldnt give it a second thought. Honestly of all the posts in the past few years, this is the one with the easiest answer ive ever seen. hope this helps.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Signing for items troubles

Post by Interested-seeker »

Postie45 wrote:DO NOT DO IT 100% NO NO NO NO NO .... but at the end of the day, if you want to play lottery with your job thats up to you... no way in hell id do it, id 739 the lot and wouldnt give it a second thought. Honestly of all the posts in the past few years, this is the one with the easiest answer ive ever seen. hope this helps.
:thumbup
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by datasaint »

It's quite common practice on rurals.

But ultimately it might be ok 999 times out of a 1000, but that 1 time when the customer claims not to have received it is all it takes.

Customers will have no qualms pinning the blame on the postie when their expensive item is missing, simply 739 as per the rule-book.
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Signing for items troubles

Post by Spedley »

It is a really tricky problem. I've been in a similar situation where the postie has been on the round for years and knew everyone. I didn't know them (not that I would sign for it myself anyway) so had to leave P739s which is awkward when you deliver the next day but even worse when they collect their items and say "the postie usually signs it for me".
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

I cover rural duties as day off over , I do not sign for anything and will not doorstep or hide parcels much to the surprise of the duty holders , they don't see a problem

It will only be a matter of time before one of them is caught out as they have been warned numerous times by the Dom

Do it at your peril because nobody will cover your back
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Signing for items troubles

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Anonymouse wrote:I've been placed in an another office for a month since they're down a few staff members but it's ok for me since it's a bit closer to home. Anyway, I was being trained on a rural duty today (i've never done that type of round before) and the postie kept signing for items themselves when no one was in - even specials. I didn't really know what to say as i didn't want to cause any bad blood between us plus the customers all seem happy with this type of service.

I'm dreading tomorrow since I don't feel comfortable doing this but if I suddenly start P739-ing items and customers get a bit annoyed by having to trail into town then it might get flagged up and put me and the original postie in bother.

I know they're not doing the job properly but I still don't want to be a grass, you know? :sad:
If the regular postie signs for items themselves when no one was in, even specials, that's their prerogative and of little concern to you so NO need "to be a grass".
You can do the same but surely some "bad blood" is better than risking your job.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by Postie45 »

Spedley wrote:It is a really tricky problem. I've been in a similar situation where the postie has been on the round for years and knew everyone. I didn't know them (not that I would sign for it myself anyway) so had to leave P739s which is awkward when you deliver the next day but even worse when they collect their items and say "the postie usually signs it for me".

no offense, but its not tricky, if you have a family, or even just a roof over your head that needs paying for are your customers gonna chip in to cover your wages every week if you get sacked ? Sorry, theres no favours justified for doing this.
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by noggin1969 »

As others have said it's a big no no. Had a new customer move onto the round that coincided with my new float man. Couple of weeks down the line the new customer is playing hell about me leaving him P739's and not signing for stuff like " the other bloke ". I pointed out to him after 25+ yrs on the job I had no intention of p***ing my job up the wall by signing for his Tracks/Sign Fors/Specials. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by LaggyBand »

I have been in this exact position myself.

Just remember, the customer has paid extra for you to get a signature from the recipient or at least the occupier of the address, and if you don't, you are scamming THEM.

Just slip leave them, and if the duty holder notices in time which I'm sure he will, then, if you are from another office, just tell him nicely (if you want to keep on his good side and don't want to go all out war) that you know someone who has got in really serious trouble for it before so you don't do it.

It's ok for him, he's only got, say 400 houses to worry about, as a rural duty holder. And I bet he does these favours because he gets tipped at Christmas. But as a floater/reserve, if you start going down this dodgy road, you have potentially thousands and thousands of people who you don't know that could complain about you, and it only takes one to get stung.

Always think to yourself, what need I do to feel clean when I leave for home later? Think only of yourself and your family. If the duty holder gives you grief, it shows he does not care about you. He is using you to try and keep his tip givers sweet.
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by koolishy67 »

Don't do it after few weeks customers going to be use to it.
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Signing for items troubles

Post by Ozzvaldo »

A bloke in my office was sacked for signing for a special. His nearly 40 years service cut no ice with the company when he was dismissed.
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by gary1975 »

Don't do it ,bloke at ours did it special went missing resulting in postman getting sack.
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Signing for items troubles

Post by Spedley »

LaggyBand wrote: Just remember, the customer has paid extra for you to get a signature from the recipient or at least the occupier of the address, and if you don't, you are scamming THEM.
A very good point. If people ask why you didn't sign it then tell them the sender paid extra for that very reason. If you don't want it signing for then ask them not to send it that way or buy from someone else.

Also, I do have one drop on my delivery which has a written declaration logged by the DOM absolving any responsibility if the posite signs the item and posts in on their behalf. It is an optional thing, you don't have to sign it yourself. When you know the people because it is your regular delivery then this seems to be a fair compromise (just make sure you take a copy signed by the DOM for yourself)
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

Spedley wrote:
Also, I do have one drop on my delivery which has a written declaration logged by the DOM absolving any responsibility if the posite signs the item and posts in on their behalf. It is an optional thing, you don't have to sign it yourself. When you know the people because it is your regular delivery then this seems to be a fair compromise (just make sure you take a copy signed by the DOM for yourself)
On one of the rural we used to have that until it was stopped by the Dom , the reason was that the recipient couldn't give you authorisation to sign only the sender.