ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by postiewhite »

After a recent duty structure change there have been 4 of us that have been given duties, we are on a 5 day 28hr contract starting at 9.09am finishing at 14.45. We are all complaining because our partners are on their own with no help all morning so when we walk in there are already people bagging up and ready to go. The manager said he is stuck for hours but he does seem to be bringing the same person in early (out of the 4 part time duty holders) so I have kicked off because im rarely asked for an early start. Anyway the manager came to me last week saying he had made a plan so we all get to come in early on a rotation system but this week its back to the same person being brought in early for IPS and the other 3 never getting asked. Do I have a case with my rep to take this into the office tomorrow as I feel im hard done by with any early starts?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by fishtank »

Anyway the manager came to me last week saying he had made a plan
A manager with a plan is such an unlikely occurrence that I always ask for proof in writing, do you have a copy of this rare document?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Bernardson
Posts: 320
Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 23:22

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by Bernardson »

You certainly have a case for fair treatment especially as the Manager had already conceded your point!
Good luck :thumbup
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by postiewhite »

Well we plan to go into the office with the union rep in the morning. The manager showed me the paper plan on friday to remind him who he had brought in early that day so the next person would get an early the following day. Ill ask him to show the rep this paper and get him to explain why one person has had 3 early starts this week and why the others have not been texted to come in.
postslippete
Posts: 4196
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by postslippete »

Why are you starting at 9.09?? Just seems an odd time to start. Is that because they expect you all to come in at 9am and then they will save 9 minutes every day?? :chuckle
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by postiewhite »

5hrs 36mins a day over 5 days which equals our contracted hours. We do actually start on the dot as well. In the run up to xmas this simply wont work and they will expect us in early and if im continuing to be left out of early starts then loops and packets will be left on busy days come November. They dont do me any favours so why should I do them favours? Im temped to find an evening job part time so that I can tell RM to stuff any scraps of OT they give me.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by eastie »

Why not go over and book O/T if your getting out late
Or if he is not paying O/T cut off and the DOM might get you in earlier
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by postiewhite »

At the minute we are finishing just on time so its not the fact of just wanting to come in to go on our duty although our partners are having to work much faster in our absense, my other gripe is people are allowed to come in earlier to help on ips whilst others are just not getting asked or rarely getting asked but the same manager will always ring me around 10.30am asking me to help him clear the mail that is left behind which I have to do until 4-5pm because im never asked to do the odd morning. Id prefer it if none of us were asked to come in and then it would be equal.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by datasaint »

The person doing early mornings has probably said they won't or can't stay out late, you are doing cut-offs later. In the manager's eye everything is hunky-dorey. Fairness doesn't factor into it.

Until you stop doing cut-offs and ask for a couple mornings OT as trade-off nothing will change.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

postiewhite wrote:5hrs 36mins a day over 5 days which equals our contracted hours. We do actually start on the dot as well. In the run up to xmas this simply wont work and they will expect us in early and if im continuing to be left out of early starts then loops and packets will be left on busy days come November. They dont do me any favours so why should I do them favours? Im temped to find an evening job part time so that I can tell RM to stuff any scraps of OT they give me.


That sounds a decent option PW. I used to have a late 0900 start so I got a job cleaning prior to that start time. Then, you've guessed it, the DOM started asking me if I could come in earlier to help out with IPS. :crazy: Gave me great pleasure to say, "No thanks I've got other commitments, I can't fit you in". The main advantage of doing more hours for RM is that it's normally a better rate and it'll help towards your pension. The cleaning helped with the bills though. :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by bmccoll »

Off subject slightly, but this is another reason for rejecting any later starts. Due to my age I'm OK in this regard, but younger posties have childcare issues as well as second jobs to boost their incomes. RM pushing for later starts/finishes jeopardises this, otherwise constructive dismissal???
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Not being asked to come in early. Do I have a case?

Post by cpsteve »

IMO you have a case do not let it drop get your rep on it o/t should be given out fairly not to the office favs not that that is the case here.