ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Annual leave entitlement

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
tapnam
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 Aug 2017, 15:17
Gender: Female

Annual leave entitlement

Post by tapnam »

Hi all,
I am on a twenty hour contract, Wednesday to Saturday. I have read on here that if you attend work for four or more days per week, you are entitled to all of the bank holidays. Is this correct? If so, would that mean 5 hours worth of entitlement for a bank holiday? Even though my contract states that I am Wednesday to Saturday?
I have been regularly working full time hours.
Thanks
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Annual leave entitlement

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yes - the number of hours used for holiday purposes would be the contractual hours for that particular day or Leiu day.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
tapnam
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 Aug 2017, 15:17
Gender: Female

Annual leave entitlement

Post by tapnam »

Thank you very much for that. If I have been working 40+ hours per week, would that entitle me to the full time hours for the bank holiday? Or does it just go by my contractual hours?

Thanks again
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Annual leave entitlement

Post by joewyan »

tapnam wrote:Thank you very much for that. If I have been working 40+ hours per week, would that entitle me to the full time hours for the bank holiday? Or does it just go by my contractual hours?

Thanks again
Holiday is based only on your contracted hours. Therefore you wouldn't get paid anything. I'm not sure on how it works if Monday is usually your day off though, I think you might be entitled to a different day off that week instead?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Annual leave entitlement

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

tapnam wrote:Thank you very much for that. If I have been working 40+ hours per week, would that entitle me to the full time hours for the bank holiday? Or does it just go by my contractual hours?

Thanks again

At the moment contractual.

However, with recent tribunal rulings and the CWU in discussion over this exact issue (average holiday pay from previous 12 weeks) it may change in the next few years.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Annual leave entitlement

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

joewyan wrote:
tapnam wrote:Thank you very much for that. If I have been working 40+ hours per week, would that entitle me to the full time hours for the bank holiday? Or does it just go by my contractual hours?

Thanks again
Holiday is based only on your contracted hours. Therefore you wouldn't get paid anything. I'm not sure on how it works if Monday is usually your day off though, I think you might be entitled to a different day off that week instead?

Correct. You would be entitled to a Lieu day if you were not due to work on the BH day itself.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Annual leave entitlement

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

If you don't want the lieu day for a bank holiday falling on your scheduled day off, because actually getting to use those lieu days is like waiting for hell to freeze over (in my depot anyway), you can claim "b/h excess" overtime instead. Presuming your 20 hour week is split evenly, you could claim 5 hours "b/h excess."

My understanding is that taking the lieu day or getting the overtime is your choice, not your lino's and/or not your DOM's. You choose what suits you.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Annual leave entitlement

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I work Wednesday to Saturday too so get the full entitlement. The person that does the leave just adds the days to my holiday entitlement in one block so I end up with two week's extra holidays.
notgoodanymore
Posts: 16
Joined: 13 Dec 2016, 11:55
Gender: Female

Annual leave entitlement

Post by notgoodanymore »

peshwaarinaan wrote:I work Wednesday to Saturday too so get the full entitlement. The person that does the leave just adds the days to my holiday entitlement in one block so I end up with two week's extra holidays.
Thanks guys