ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Parcels at xmas arrangements

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Supermac0151
Posts: 72
Joined: 11 Apr 2015, 08:28
Gender: Male

Parcels at xmas arrangements

Post by Supermac0151 »

So it seems crazy to even say it but we know we are gunna be gearing up for xmas soon, I heard in our office they are looking at keeping to last years arrangements of hiring part timers to work til 7pm at night...I do the parcels every year by coming off my walk but I didn't thing it worked last year taking the hire vans off us and waiting til someone had finished their round!! It's virtually impossible to put parcels out and see doors in pitch black winter nights not to mention our safety?!? Our dom said other offices said it wasn't working but as I said the powers above have mentioned it's gunna be similar....what's anyone else's thoughts on this?? I know it's all costs blah blah but you can get a lot more productivity done in the daylight!!
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Parcels at xmas arrangements

Post by pinstripe »

Christmas?
Christmas is coming??
God, I hope it doesn't fall in December again :nervous
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Parcels at xmas arrangements

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I was on the same last year and it was a joke. I was doing something like 12.30 till 8. I came im at 12.30 every day to no vans so i made a list of my parcels while i waited. By 2.30 vans started returning , but by this time 8 of us was waiting for a van (4 collection 4 late packets).
What made it worse we all needed large vans so one day i was there till 4pm. So about time i got out it was dark. Was on areas i didn't know 100% and i couldn't see the numbers. Oh and the pdas were dead :arrrghhh. So i have decided i am not doing it ever again. More hassle than its worth.
P.s to top it off i ended up with a trap nerve in my leg over christmas because of getting in/out of the van :arrrghhh
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Parcels at xmas arrangements

Post by CPTNemoUK »

pinstripe wrote:Christmas?
Christmas is coming??
God, I hope it doesn't fall in December again :nervous
Psst don't tell royal mail :left:
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Parcels at xmas arrangements

Post by worktotime »

don't worry about it and leave it to the dims that get paid to manager :left: ,
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Parcels at xmas arrangements

Post by eastie »

I don't worry , just do my normal hours, work to my finish time and go home :dance
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Parcels at xmas arrangements

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

CPTNemoUK wrote:
pinstripe wrote:Christmas?
Christmas is coming??
God, I hope it doesn't fall in December again :nervous
Psst don't tell royal mail :left:
Don't worry they'll have the planning sorted about the same time as last year - Mid January the following year.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Parcels at xmas arrangements

Post by worktotime »

eastie wrote:I don't worry , just do my normal hours, work to my finish time and go home :dance
:thumbup
Supermac0151
Posts: 72
Joined: 11 Apr 2015, 08:28
Gender: Male

Parcels at xmas arrangements

Post by Supermac0151 »

CPTNemoUK wrote:I was on the same last year and it was a joke. I was doing something like 12.30 till 8. I came im at 12.30 every day to no vans so i made a list of my parcels while i waited. By 2.30 vans started returning , but by this time 8 of us was waiting for a van (4 collection 4 late packets).
What made it worse we all needed large vans so one day i was there till 4pm. So about time i got out it was dark. Was on areas i didn't know 100% and i couldn't see the numbers. Oh and the pdas were dead :arrrghhh. So i have decided i am not doing it ever again. More hassle than its worth.
P.s to top it off i ended up with a trap nerve in my leg over christmas because of getting in/out of the van :arrrghhh

It is a joke mate. Once it goes dark it's useless!! I've done parcels the last few years was just given a hire van in the day and off I went delivering a mountain of parcels but now this waiting for vans is ridiculous and doesn't work at all!! Sorry about your injury and good on ya for not opting in this year coz I won't be either!!