ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Carrying bags

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Carrying bags

Post by kingeric »

I know most don't read the courier but I always read the letters page. I like to see responses to 'real' situations. There is the odd plant put in there but on the whole I find the letters useful.

Anyway someone mentioned having back pain through carrying all the weight of a bag on one side. I was expecting the response to be along the lines of "you should be using a lwt and not carrying bags......"

But I was surprised to read that the response was that there is a cross over satchel that can be ordered which distributes the weight more evenly.

My office has recently gone through a revision too and the planners have planned a lot of the loops as smaller loops with no mention of lwts. So I'm just wondering has there been a change here in regards to lwts?
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Carrying bags

Post by twoloops »

Forgive me for my ignorance whats lwt & lwts?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Carrying bags

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

mattycash wrote:Forgive me for my ignorance whats lwt & lwts?
Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Carrying bags

Post by rubberbond »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
mattycash wrote:Forgive me for my ignorance whats lwt & lwts?
Image
Crikey,is that what they look like unfurled, I've never seen that before,the ones I see are all folded up and either dumped in the yard ,or in the back of vans,never to see the light of day again.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Carrying bags

Post by NewPostieUK »

kingeric wrote:
But I was surprised to read that the response was that there is a cross over satchel that can be ordered which distributes the weight more evenly.
I think they mean where the specified method of delivery is with bags. Some areas aren't suitable for a trolley. I have a couple of loops where a trolley cannot be used (no paths, steep hill etc) and for these loops there is a satchel available.

Most loops should be done from van or with a trolley, as specified during the revision.

This could have changed recently of course, or it could be the planners and managers just doing as they please.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Carrying bags

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

If you need to carry a pouch to deliver to some addresses, such as a block of flats, the pouch of mail should not weigh more than 5Kg (if I recall correctly).

But in theory, if all addresses are at ground level, we should be pushing the LWT/HCTs around (if leaving them unattended but in sight, they don't need to be locked to an immovable object).
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Carrying bags

Post by twoloops »

Still no clearer does anyone actually know what these letters stand for? LWT & HCT :arrrghhh
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Carrying bags

Post by clashcityrocker »

Light Weight Trolley
High Capacity Trolley
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Carrying bags

Post by twoloops »

Thank you clashcityrocker, thats all it took TrueBlueTerrier.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Carrying bags

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

mattycash wrote:Thank you clashcityrocker, thats all it took TrueBlueTerrier.

Well, i am sorry if I offended you by posting a picture of an lwt.

i have answered this question numerous times and added them to our glossary of terms. http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 56&t=68169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a simple search would have got you the answer quicker.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
JKSmudge
Posts: 395
Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
Gender: Male

Carrying bags

Post by JKSmudge »

Clashcityrocker - now I can't get the song out of my head !
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Carrying bags

Post by rubberbond »

mattycash wrote:Thank you clashcityrocker, thats all it took TrueBlueTerrier.
Saucer of milk table 2. Miaow!
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Carrying bags

Post by eastie »

The round I do has hardly any roads and only pebbles as they are on the beach , can only use bags
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Carrying bags

Post by k979aaa »

eastie wrote:The round I do has hardly any roads and only pebbles as they are on the beach , can only use bags
Surfboard this item can be ordered by your friendly RM manager but stock is low due to overseas exports to Australia!