Hi all. I recently joined RM 3 months ago as a postie. Things were going great until my dad took ill . To cut a long story short I've had to move into my dads house to look after him as he can't look after himself. I look after my dad on my own as there's nobody's day else that can. My dad has me up most of the night so I don't get much sleep and my energy levels are now always low . Im now finding it difficult to do my postie run and more so now that they have given us lapsing everyday. I don't want to leave the RM but I'm not sure how long I can go on like this. I know in other jobs if your not coping or can no longer work in your own department whether it be due to illness or various other reasons, there is scope to be moved departments or be given "alternative duties" so to speak. I'm not sure if this is an option within the RM? Is there other duties / job roles within my own depot that I could possibly do other than being a postie? Do you need to be in the job a certain length of time to switch roles? I'm not sure what my options are, if any.
I'd really appreciate any help and advice given.
Thanks
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Advice needed
-
walkthewalk
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
- Gender: Male
Advice needed
You need to discuss your situation with your manager but before doing so also speak with your union rep for advice but after saying all that I hope your situation soon gets better, good luck.
-
walkthewalk
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
- Gender: Male
Advice needed
You need to discuss your situation with your manager but before doing so also speak with your union rep for advice but after saying all that I hope your situation soon gets better, good luck.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Advice needed
The main issue here is the exhaustion brought about by lack of sleep due to helping your dad, I don't think there is any role within RM that would negate that problem.
Have you been on to Social Services, CAB etc to see what advice and help they can offer you/your dad in your current situation?
Is your dads illness and inability to look after himself only likely to be a temporary thing from which he's expected to make a full recovery? Or is his condition chronic and permanent?
Have you been on to Social Services, CAB etc to see what advice and help they can offer you/your dad in your current situation?
Is your dads illness and inability to look after himself only likely to be a temporary thing from which he's expected to make a full recovery? Or is his condition chronic and permanent?
-
G051238
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 31 Jul 2017, 08:08
- Gender: Female
Advice needed
Thanks very much for bother your replies, it's much appreciated. Yes, unfortunately it's a long term illness he has. I'll have a chat with my manager & union rep and I'll also try and find out what help is available from our local authority etc.
Thanks
Thanks