ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
macthejaffa
Posts: 31
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 20:18
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by macthejaffa »

Got payslip today and opened it up with one eye closed as pay has been wrong by a few hours week after week now for a couple of months, but usually got sorted eventually.

This week I was owed arrears of 6 hours SA and 3 hours arrears of OT, on top of my usual contracted 30 hours and 6 hours SA for last week. 45 hours in total.

What I got was 30 hours, 3hrs OT, then two lots of 6 hrs arrears one of which had a negative sign against it therefore cancelling out the other!? Also no sign of my 6 hrs SA for last week.

So I've been paid for just 33 hours leaving me 12 hours short and bills to pay this week and my weekly budget shot to bits. Manager was casual to the point of arrogance about it and I had to get a grip of myself not to walk. It's a chunk of money that makes a huge difference to my life as I have bills to pay and a family to support.

Just rang HR and they fobbed me off saying they need to discuss with the admin who entered the info and that I shouldn't even be making the call!!

What an absolute joke. These kind of mistakes have been rumbling on for weeks now but whereas it's always been a couple out before and never more than 6 hrs out this is way more and well and truly screwed me over for this week.

Feel like putting a grievance in against the guy who entered the info for last week but he's now moved on to a different office.

Feel free to rant cos believe me this has got my blood well n truly boiling over
slt2653
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 21:38
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by slt2653 »

I can never tell if managers are just this incompetent or they deliberately do it to fudge weekly budget.

We got a new manager recently and I remember a couple of months ago i got a text asking me to come in 2 hours earlier on OT, i got home to see I'm 2 hours short from previous week so replied that no I won't be doing any OT until I'm paid what I'm owed. Got a reply saying it would be sorted following week so replied I won't be doing any OT until the 2 hours is in my bank account. Since then my OT has been correct however I've heard other people in my office complaining about underpaid wages every week.

I know you may not be in a position to refuse OT but it's the only thing I've found work when we get a new manager (and I have to do it with every new manager we get, last 4 in a row now, almost like it's part of their training!)
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by glenfiddich »

And now they want you to go onto monthly pay :crazy:
:arrrghhh
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by masterblaster »

glenfiddich wrote:And now they want you to go onto monthly pay :crazy:
:arrrghhh
I would go on monthly pay - For an up front £1000.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by rubberbond »

glenfiddich wrote:And now they want you to go onto monthly pay :crazy:
:arrrghhh
You beat me to it! Just think, it's wrong this month(you can bet your last weekly pay on this,you will be paid the last working day of the month) for example,you then have to wait ANOTHER month for it to be rectified, meanwhile,any overtime you do after a certain date,won't get paid until the following month either,because there has to be a cut off date. Monthly pay?, no thank you. Not for a £1000 anyway.
bensonhedge
Posts: 448
Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by bensonhedge »

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cookthebooks.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by Creditshampoo »

Your dom has the power to pay a bank transfer. Instantly.
They don't like doing it but it's in a policy somewhere.
If I was in your shots I would refuse to go out on delivery until it had been paid
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by eastie »

I always take a picture of all O/T with my mobile until paid then you have the evidence
macthejaffa
Posts: 31
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 20:18
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by macthejaffa »

Creditshampoo wrote:Your dom has the power to pay a bank transfer. Instantly.
They don't like doing it but it's in a policy somewhere.
If I was in your shots I would refuse to go out on delivery until it had been paid
Is this true? Where would I need to look to find it in writing cos like I said I'm up sh@t creek thanks to their ineptitude and can't pay my bills this week.
Cheers for the advice
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by k979aaa »

here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/ ... ting-paid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Darwinsdad
Posts: 78
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by Darwinsdad »

I worked my day off the other week, it didn't show on last weeks statement or this weeks. Looks like I'll be cutting off until either a) I'm paid what I'm diffy or b) I can have that day of the week back in lieu when I want it, in writing.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32798
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by POSTMAN »

macthejaffa wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:Your dom has the power to pay a bank transfer. Instantly.
They don't like doing it but it's in a policy somewhere.
If I was in your shots I would refuse to go out on delivery until it had been paid
Is this true? Where would I need to look to find it in writing cos like I said I'm up sh@t creek thanks to their ineptitude and can't pay my bills this week.
Cheers for the advice
Your DOM can inform HR and HR can do an instant transfer into your bank. I've known it being done before.
It boils down to whether your DOM will contact them about his f**k up.

It's called a CHAPS payment...
CHAPS. In the fast-moving business world, your organisation must be able to make and receive fast and efficient payments. Clearing House Automated Payment System (CHAPS) is an electronic bank-to-bank technology that enables same-day payments to be made within the UK, provided the instruction is received before 4.25pm.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by woody38 »

slt2653 wrote:I can never tell if managers are just this incompetent or they deliberately do it to fudge weekly budget.

We got a new manager recently and I remember a couple of months ago i got a text asking me to come in 2 hours earlier on OT, i got home to see I'm 2 hours short from previous week so replied that no I won't be doing any OT until I'm paid what I'm owed. Got a reply saying it would be sorted following week so replied I won't be doing any OT until the 2 hours is in my bank account. Since then my OT has been correct however I've heard other people in my office complaining about underpaid wages every week.

I know you may not be in a position to refuse OT but it's the only thing I've found work when we get a new manager (and I have to do it with every new manager we get, last 4 in a row now, almost like it's part of their training!)
What I do when they owe me overtime is come in later every morning until what the owe me is balanced out with the hours I work, I don't like doing it to them but if it's the only way to make them listen, they had a go at me the last time I did it I explained pay me for my overtime then I will come in my usual time, any overtime I do has been paid on time to me since then, not sure about the SA because we have none at our office.
slinder123
Posts: 261
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 14:44
Gender: Female

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by slinder123 »

the pda,s are now deducting the hours you realy work against your overtime so finishing early and beep beeping your mates is about to end thank goodness that will wipe the smugness of the ghosts faces :cuppa
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Missing 12 hours from my pay!!

Post by steve1873 »

slinder123 wrote:the pda,s are now deducting the hours you realy work against your overtime so finishing early and beep beeping your mates is about to end thank goodness that will wipe the smugness of the ghosts faces :cuppa
Whilst that will undoubtedly come at some stage, I am pretty sure that the CWU have not agreed to the use of technology as a means to bank hours!