ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by eastie »

Yet again the same old propaganda of "Mails Down" but down from what ??
Last Tuesday ,Last month, Last Year ????
They don't back it up with any information
Only thing that's down are F/T Postmen / Overtime/ S/A /and Pension
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by GT85 »

Yep getting fed that line all the time and when you point out that (time consuming) packets are increasing they just walk off :roll:
We're all here because we're not all there
Stammerking
Posts: 208
Joined: 09 Dec 2007, 20:58

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by Stammerking »

Remember the days of sky mags and saga magazines there is no denying mail is down but takes us a lot longer to deliver scanning parcels and 739 in the items or delivering to neighbours
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by Straight4ward »

Letter decline.jpg
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
milly
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1267
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 09:43

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by milly »

eastie wrote:Yet again the same old propaganda of "Mails Down" but down from what ??
Last Tuesday ,Last month, Last Year ????
They don't back it up with any information
Only thing that's down are F/T Postmen / Overtime/ S/A /and Pension
As I have said in a previous post,15 years ago we used to run our collection mail from 1.30pm to 8.30pm and now we run it from 6.30pm to 7.45pm.
Our road packet fittings have been reduced from 6 to 4 with far fewer selections on them.
If it is so busy how come I don't get over 30 hours a week in overtime like I used to.
I can't understand why people have difficulty in believing that mail volumes have dropped off a cliff,it's not propaganda if it is true. :cuppa
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by tommyrep »

As my granny said, " you always get wan" and it's Milly today. Or another RM plant.
Ok less letters for you to handle in processing.
The impact on delivery of many more packets/parcels is always over looked.
Scanning on door step, delivery to neighbours, tracked items have all been gradually introduced.
Overtime ? It may be in Millie's case, that she is now feeling the impact as us on delivery that it is now focused on as a big money saver. Since privatisation OT is dropping. We on delivery have enforced lapsing, to fill up our time despite massive jobs lost from FT to PT. Maybe processing is a better option, any vacancies? seems easier than our lot in delivery.
Last edited by tommyrep on 26 Jul 2017, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12193
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by SpacePhoenix »

tommyrep wrote:Maybe processing is a better option, any vacancies? seems easier than our lot in delivery.
Probably not going to be too long until most processing jobs in MCs will be operating machines
Queeg500
Posts: 37
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 11:24
Gender: Male

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by Queeg500 »

milly wrote:
eastie wrote:Yet again the same old propaganda of "Mails Down" but down from what ??
Last Tuesday ,Last month, Last Year ????
They don't back it up with any information
Only thing that's down are F/T Postmen / Overtime/ S/A /and Pension
As I have said in a previous post,15 years ago we used to run our collection mail from 1.30pm to 8.30pm and now we run it from 6.30pm to 7.45pm.
Our road packet fittings have been reduced from 6 to 4 with far fewer selections on them.
If it is so busy how come I don't get over 30 hours a week in overtime like I used to.
I can't understand why people have difficulty in believing that mail volumes have dropped off a cliff,it's not propaganda if it is true. :cuppa
Those 30 hours you used to get have probably gone to a part timer on a 20 hour a week contract. Thats straw man argument, there could be many reasons why you personally get less overtime. There's almost always loads of overtime in my DO anyway.

Since I started a few years ago on a 25hr contract they have introduced lapsing, more recently double lapsing has started creeping in, we do collections whilst out on our rounds, we have to sign in, then out on delivery, then back from delivery then sign out when leaving, 2D barcodes have been introduced, there are lots of them and they add even more time when they invariably don't scan or the PDA freezes. Other than the odd quiet tuesday in summer, I barely ever finish on time and it's not because I'm slow.
Tman
Posts: 4145
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by Tman »

tommyrep wrote:As my granny said, " you always get wan" and it's Milly today. Or another RM plant.
Ok less letters for you to handle in processing.
The impact on delivery of many more packets/parcels is always over looked.
.
Indeed, you do always get wan.
So you dispute that mail's down (even though you said "Ok less letters for you to handle in processing") because there's "many more packets/parcels"?
Really? :roll:
milly
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1267
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 09:43

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by milly »

tommyrep wrote:As my granny said, " you always get wan" and it's Milly today. Or another RM plant.
Ok less letters for you to handle in processing.
The impact on delivery of many more packets/parcels is always over looked.
Scanning on door step, delivery to neighbours, tracked items have all been gradually reduced.
Overtime ? It may be in Millie's case, that she is now feeling the impact as us on delivery that it is now focused on as a big money saver. Since privatisation OT is dropping. We on delivery have enforced lapsing, to fill up our time despite massive jobs lost from FT to PT. Maybe processing is a better option, any vacancies? seems easier than our lot in delivery.
I am no Royal Mail plant I have worked as a Postman for nearly 30 years so I remember what it was like when it was busy and now it ain't.
I am always puzzled why delivery Postman complain about their jobs,they have always been crap jobs,out in all weathers,waking up in the middle of the night to start work at 5.30 am.
There were no Vans or trolley's when I did them,all on foot with a heavy pouch over my shoulder,the first chance I got I went into the Mail Centre. :wave
ernieshoe
Posts: 117
Joined: 07 Dec 2016, 15:40
Gender: Male

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by ernieshoe »

milly wrote:
tommyrep wrote:As my granny said, " you always get wan" and it's Milly today. Or another RM plant.
Ok less letters for you to handle in processing.
The impact on delivery of many more packets/parcels is always over looked.
Scanning on door step, delivery to neighbours, tracked items have all been gradually reduced.
Overtime ? It may be in Millie's case, that she is now feeling the impact as us on delivery that it is now focused on as a big money saver. Since privatisation OT is dropping. We on delivery have enforced lapsing, to fill up our time despite massive jobs lost from FT to PT. Maybe processing is a better option, any vacancies? seems easier than our lot in delivery.
I am no Royal Mail plant I have worked as a Postman for nearly 30 years so I remember what it was like when it was busy and now it ain't.
I am always puzzled why delivery Postman complain about their jobs,they have always been crap jobs,out in all weathers,waking up in the middle of the night to start work at 5.30 am.
There were no Vans or trolley's when I did them,all on foot with a heavy pouch over my shoulder,the first chance I got I went into the Mail Centre. :wave
As far as "Delivery to neighbours" is concerned a lot of us have been doing this for years.
Of course there there have always been the ones who write P739 cards out prior to delivery that have refused to ever try a neighbour.
Anyone on this board who doesn't agree with the moaners, militants gets slated.
It's a very one sided board.
So Milly is a plant for giving his / her opinion ?

There are so many old timers that have worked for 20 + years in delivery that have constantly moaned about anything and everything??

I believe the notice period is 7 days.

There's a lot of part timers and unemployed who would jump at the salary and "perks" full time postman get.

Nobodys forcing you to stay :wave
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by Justanotherstar »

milly wrote:
tommyrep wrote:As my granny said, " you always get wan" and it's Milly today. Or another RM plant.
Ok less letters for you to handle in processing.
The impact on delivery of many more packets/parcels is always over looked.
Scanning on door step, delivery to neighbours, tracked items have all been gradually reduced.
Overtime ? It may be in Millie's case, that she is now feeling the impact as us on delivery that it is now focused on as a big money saver. Since privatisation OT is dropping. We on delivery have enforced lapsing, to fill up our time despite massive jobs lost from FT to PT. Maybe processing is a better option, any vacancies? seems easier than our lot in delivery.
I am no Royal Mail plant I have worked as a Postman for nearly 30 years so I remember what it was like when it was busy and now it ain't.
I am always puzzled why delivery Postman complain about their jobs,they have always been crap jobs,out in all weathers,waking up in the middle of the night to start work at 5.30 am.
There were no Vans or trolley's when I did them,all on foot with a heavy pouch over my shoulder,the first chance I got I went into the Mail Centre. :wave
Forgetting than when you was a real postie you would probably be finished by 9am every morning...now people are out delivering till 3/4pm sometimes...Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Alexei
Posts: 222
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
Gender: Male

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by Alexei »

We are still paid rather well for an unskilled job, although i feel we should have a pay increase in line with inflation. I was searching for jobs not long ago, and i was struggling to find anything around £20k p.a that didn't require any skills or previous experience. So unless you are willing to go into what is essentially a sales job, then there isn't much hope. I would urge anyone to use Royal Mail in whichever way they can to learn new skills to help fill out their C.V, because if you hate it now, the next five years won't get better.

Regarding mail volumes - Definitely declining. I have been on the same duty for the past five years, done exactly the same way, yet my bundles are slowly getting smaller, and the bag lighter ( disregarding packets ). What add's on all the time, like mentioned, is the 2D barcodes, D2N / FTD, surge in packet volume / 739's, collection's on duties. The packets have risen quicker than the mail volumes have declined - at least in my opinion. Another thing to note, is the building of housing estates. My office has at least 2500 new homes built, yet instead of adding extra duties, we had a revision that took some out, and everyone else was left to pick up the tab, on duties that were regularly running over already.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by eastie »

15 years ago had 3 bags for my round ,now I have 9 bags plus a bag of lapsing, plus scanning parcels and doing collections
Yes addressed letters are down but I know what I would prefer.
ernieshoe
Posts: 117
Joined: 07 Dec 2016, 15:40
Gender: Male

Mails Down Mails Down blah blah

Post by ernieshoe »

eastie wrote:15 years ago had 3 bags for my round ,now I have 9 bags plus a bag of lapsing, plus scanning parcels and doing collections
Yes addressed letters are down but I know what I would prefer.
15 years a go the job was a joke then.
3 bags !
You had it all way too easy !