ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
overtime (question from newbie)
-
paul39222
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 15 Oct 2014, 16:41
- Gender: Male
overtime (question from newbie)
I've been a postie for about 3 weeks now and while I'm getting faster every day, I'm curious about overtime. If you consistently claim about an hour's pressure overtime a day (or 1.5 hours inc the lapsing) for no particular reason other than you can't seem to physically do the job any quicker, is that okay or will management have words with you at some point? Potentially of course being slow could also cause friction with your partner if (s)he doesn't want to work OT but that's another matter.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
overtime (question from newbie)
Don't ever feel guilty about claiming overtime. No one would be expected to work for free, if the duty isn't doable within the set time, you either cut-off or claim OT.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
overtime (question from newbie)
Now you see you have stumbled upon the fundamental problem with van sharing. Postie A the driver does not want to go over and is going to cut off ,whereas postie b non driver,is hapoy to work on, however delivery is 5 miles from the office. Result:conflict,disagreements , bad feelings all round. Another well thought out idea from the idiots in the silly ideas department in Sheffield. Top work people.
-
bensonhedge
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
- Gender: Male
overtime (question from newbie)
Not really,my partner has 40 minutes break so I just crack on with my loops and manager picks him up later on.rubberbond wrote:Now you see you have stumbled upon the fundamental problem with van sharing. Postie A the driver does not want to go over and is going to cut off ,whereas postie b non driver,is hapoy to work on, however delivery is 5 miles from the office. Result:conflict,disagreements , bad feelings all round. Another well thought out idea from the idiots in the silly ideas department in Sheffield. Top work people.
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
overtime (question from newbie)
paul39222 wrote:I've been a postie for about 3 weeks now and while I'm getting faster every day, I'm curious about overtime. If you consistently claim about an hour's pressure overtime a day (or 1.5 hours inc the lapsing) for no particular reason other than you can't seem to physically do the job any quicker, is that okay or will management have words with you at some point? Potentially of course being slow could also cause friction with your partner if (s)he doesn't want to work OT but that's another matter.
see a heck of a lot of our lads claiming going over there time while lapsing.....
I am not knocking ppl doing overtime if that's what you want and are ok with it.
But the amount who go over cos of taking lapsing then quietly moan we shouldn't lapse is a lot of lads.
Yesterday I was working with a p/timer....neither fault but we wouldn't be able to lapse so I told them.....I did offer to take it out "just incase" but would ring them if unable LOL......quickly I was told to leave it.
lapsing is to fill your hours with work....not force you over....unless you want overtime
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
overtime (question from newbie)
When do you have your meal relief?bensonhedge wrote:Not really,my partner has 40 minutes break so I just crack on with my loops and manager picks him up later on.rubberbond wrote:Now you see you have stumbled upon the fundamental problem with van sharing. Postie A the driver does not want to go over and is going to cut off ,whereas postie b non driver,is hapoy to work on, however delivery is 5 miles from the office. Result:conflict,disagreements , bad feelings all round. Another well thought out idea from the idiots in the silly ideas department in Sheffield. Top work people.
-
bensonhedge
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
- Gender: Male
overtime (question from newbie)
at home matesteve1873 wrote:When do you have your meal relief?bensonhedge wrote:Not really,my partner has 40 minutes break so I just crack on with my loops and manager picks him up later on.rubberbond wrote:Now you see you have stumbled upon the fundamental problem with van sharing. Postie A the driver does not want to go over and is going to cut off ,whereas postie b non driver,is hapoy to work on, however delivery is 5 miles from the office. Result:conflict,disagreements , bad feelings all round. Another well thought out idea from the idiots in the silly ideas department in Sheffield. Top work people.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
overtime (question from newbie)
That isn't how it is meant to work. You are basically working through your meal relief and effectively giving Royal Mail 20/30/40 minutes (delete depending on daily attendance length) of free labour! I apologise if this comes across as judgemental, and I understand you have only recently started, but you are part of the problem - by just "cracking on", you are making unachievable workloads appear achievable or certainly less unachievable.bensonhedge wrote:at home matesteve1873 wrote:When do you have your meal relief?bensonhedge wrote:Not really,my partner has 40 minutes break so I just crack on with my loops and manager picks him up later on.rubberbond wrote:Now you see you have stumbled upon the fundamental problem with van sharing. Postie A the driver does not want to go over and is going to cut off ,whereas postie b non driver,is hapoy to work on, however delivery is 5 miles from the office. Result:conflict,disagreements , bad feelings all round. Another well thought out idea from the idiots in the silly ideas department in Sheffield. Top work people.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
overtime (question from newbie)
Think your talking to the wrong person, benson wasnt the op. Think benson has been on the post a fair few yearssteve1873 wrote:That isn't how it is meant to work. You are basically working through your meal relief and effectively giving Royal Mail 20/30/40 minutes (delete depending on daily attendance length) of free labour! I apologise if this comes across as judgemental, and I understand you have only recently started, but you are part of the problem - by just "cracking on", you are making unachievable workloads appear achievable or certainly less unachievable.bensonhedge wrote:at home matesteve1873 wrote:When do you have your meal relief?bensonhedge wrote:Not really,my partner has 40 minutes break so I just crack on with my loops and manager picks him up later on.rubberbond wrote:Now you see you have stumbled upon the fundamental problem with van sharing. Postie A the driver does not want to go over and is going to cut off ,whereas postie b non driver,is hapoy to work on, however delivery is 5 miles from the office. Result:conflict,disagreements , bad feelings all round. Another well thought out idea from the idiots in the silly ideas department in Sheffield. Top work people.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
overtime (question from newbie)
Apologies in that case. Posting via phone so not great at seeing who has quoted whom!
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
overtime (question from newbie)
ha , so a manager is avctually there at your office before your due to finish,bensonhedge wrote:Not really,my partner has 40 minutes break so I just crack on with my loops and manager picks him up later on.rubberbond wrote:Now you see you have stumbled upon the fundamental problem with van sharing. Postie A the driver does not want to go over and is going to cut off ,whereas postie b non driver,is hapoy to work on, however delivery is 5 miles from the office. Result:conflict,disagreements , bad feelings all round. Another well thought out idea from the idiots in the silly ideas department in Sheffield. Top work people.
managers i seen are long gone before you get back to the yard
-
Postie Dave79
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 06 Jul 2017, 20:13
- Gender: Male
overtime (question from newbie)
I have been doing the job for 8 weeks now and am only just starting to take my breaks. As I newbie I think a reasonable amount of overtime is expected. You will get faster and like I said I have been then 8 weeks and now only just starting to take my breaks. I it takes time to get used to the round and everything else that comes with it.