ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Notice period required for resignation
-
iaingreen1986
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 12 Sep 2012, 07:49
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
Hi,
I know it sounds like for something that's easy to find but I can't find anywhere what the notice period is for resignation as a postman. It rings a bell that it depends on your contract and length of service. Anyone able to help?
Thanks
Iain
I know it sounds like for something that's easy to find but I can't find anywhere what the notice period is for resignation as a postman. It rings a bell that it depends on your contract and length of service. Anyone able to help?
Thanks
Iain
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Notice period required for resignation
iaingreen1986 wrote:Hi,
I know it sounds like for something that's easy to find but I can't find anywhere what the notice period is for resignation as a postman. It rings a bell that it depends on your contract and length of service. Anyone able to help?
Thanks
Iain
Your length of service affects how much notice they can give you, not how much you give.
New starters are on 1-month notice of resignation, nearly everyone else is on 1 week
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
iaingreen1986
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 12 Sep 2012, 07:49
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
I knew I'd seen something about varying lengths but couldn't remember which way round it is. Didn't realise it was only a weeks notice though...I assumed it was a month.
Thanks...muchos help
Thanks...muchos help
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
Where does the original information come from?TrueBlueTerrier wrote: New starters are on 1-month notice of resignation, nearly everyone else is on 1 week
I also assume 14.2 is applicable for retirement notice as well as resignation.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Notice period required for resignation
From my original contract.
Yes, retirement is a form of resignation and I believe after a certain age, resignation is counted as retirement.
However, my advice would be to advise the proper authorities of a wish to retire at a certain date as there are usually far more issues to deal with than just quitting.
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 27&t=39326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, retirement is a form of resignation and I believe after a certain age, resignation is counted as retirement.
However, my advice would be to advise the proper authorities of a wish to retire at a certain date as there are usually far more issues to deal with than just quitting.
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 27&t=39326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6696
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
It used to be that you had to retire at 65. But that is no longer the case – you now resign and take your pension.
If you’re going to take your pension when leaving RM, then inform the PSC 3-4 months before hand. But only one week is required for handing in your notice to your DOM.
Resignation after 60 is only counted as retiring as far as the tax treatment of your free RM shares is concerned.
If you’re going to take your pension when leaving RM, then inform the PSC 3-4 months before hand. But only one week is required for handing in your notice to your DOM.
Resignation after 60 is only counted as retiring as far as the tax treatment of your free RM shares is concerned.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
Hmmm I had forgotten about the free shares (and their tax treatment) - will have to factor this inRobertT wrote: Resignation after 60 is only counted as retiring as far as the tax treatment of your free RM shares is concerned.
Re the contract issue I think I may ask to see my contract of employment in the near future - I don't have a copy myself.
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
OK a slightly different question. Am now clear that I won't lose any free shares on retirement (after reaching 60) or pay any NI/Tax so long as I don't flog them early.
But what is the practical effect of having the shares taken out of the Share Incentive Plan (SIP). Does this mean that I become an ordinary shareholder with whatever shares I have with no future 'free' entitlements (same as someone who bought the shares on the open market) ?
But what is the practical effect of having the shares taken out of the Share Incentive Plan (SIP). Does this mean that I become an ordinary shareholder with whatever shares I have with no future 'free' entitlements (same as someone who bought the shares on the open market) ?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Notice period required for resignation
Basically yes, you'll still get dividends if you keep them etc, but if there is any Free Issue of shares then as a non-employee you won't get any. Doubt they'll be anymore anyway.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Basically yes, you'll still get dividends if you keep them etc, but if there is any Free Issue of shares then as a non-employee you won't get any. Doubt they'll be anymore anyway.
-
tone123
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 12:09
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
My Postman contract started in May this year. Clause 13.2 says;
"If you wish to leave Royal Mail Employment you must give four week's (their incorrect punctuation, not mine
) notice if weekly paid or one month's (again
) notice if monthly paid. Royal Mail may waive this notice either in whole or part".
Four weeks is a long time when you're not enjoying it.
If you've got any holidays already booked or a Bank Holiday in the offing then make sure these fall within your notice period. There's nothing they can do about it.
"If you wish to leave Royal Mail Employment you must give four week's (their incorrect punctuation, not mine
Four weeks is a long time when you're not enjoying it.
If you've got any holidays already booked or a Bank Holiday in the offing then make sure these fall within your notice period. There's nothing they can do about it.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Notice period required for resignation
You only get paid a week in hand if you are weekly paid what are they going to do press gang you into doing a month Oh second thoughts maybe the would!
-
tone123
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 12:09
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
It's a tricky one as I agree they're acting unfairly in stating you need to give 4 weeks notice when you are only paid every one week.k979aaa wrote:You only get paid a week in hand if you are weekly paid what are they going to do press gang you into doing a month Oh second thoughts maybe the would!
Strictly speaking, if 4 weeks is specified in the contract that I signed then they can reasonably expect that as I agreed to it.
I guess you could just give one weeks notice but they might then mention this in responding to reference requests from your new employer. I believe that this is contrary to employment law but there's ways of phrasing things that say more than the words used.
Maybe they're not bothered but I get the feeling from everything that's happened to me so far that RM actually enjoys making life difficult for it's employees.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
The 4 weeks thing is future proofing for moving to monthly pay I would have thought.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Notice period required for resignation
Does it have to be written or can you just tell your DOM you are leaving?