ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lcryans1
Posts: 5
Joined: 21 May 2011, 03:33
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by lcryans1 »

I currently work as a postman for Royal Mail and have done for 6 years now. I play for a semi-professional football team in Glasgow. Right now I work 5 days mon-sat which means I only get one saturday off in 6 weeks. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction who to speak to or if anyone knows where Royal Mail stand in this type of situation. My line manager tries to swap my day off to saturday when possible but I am not guaranteed every saturday and it can be frustrating missing out a lot of the time.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by greengiant »

lcryans1 wrote:I currently work as a postman for Royal Mail and have done for 6 years now. I play for a semi-professional football team in Glasgow. Right now I work 5 days mon-sat which means I only get one saturday off in 6 weeks. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction who to speak to or if anyone knows where Royal Mail stand in this type of situation. My line manager tries to swap my day off to saturday when possible but I am not guaranteed every saturday and it can be frustrating missing out a lot of the time.
Not sure if this thread helps? http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=80580
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Football or Royal Mail. :dance The choice is yours. :cuppa
Bernardson
Posts: 320
Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 23:22

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by Bernardson »

As a football fan of non league football it is getting increasingly difficult to get finished in time for Saturday KO.
There was a period of history when we were finished by 10 a.m.on Saturdays and the day was yours.
With RM current proposals all those football players,supporters,volunteers and officials if they are not prepared to fight may as well give up their love for the game. Other workers which participate in sports and leisure activities are similarly effected which is ironic as Royal Mail likes to promote itself in the community.
All hail the company :thumbdown
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by Postie45 »

yeah id like every Saturday off too to accommodate my leisure pursuits, problem is EVERYONE else does too
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by yellowbelly »

lcryans1 wrote:.................I work 5 days mon-sat which means I only get one saturday off in 6 weeks....................
Jeez, as a leave reserve I'm lucky if I know what day I'm getting off the Friday the week before, never mind getting 1 Sat off in 6......
t3mcIUQWE2
Posts: 137
Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by t3mcIUQWE2 »

yellowbelly wrote:
lcryans1 wrote:.................I work 5 days mon-sat which means I only get one saturday off in 6 weeks....................
Jeez, as a leave reserve I'm lucky if I know what day I'm getting off the Friday the week before, never mind getting 1 Sat off in 6......
Talking about going from 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 at my DO :evil/mad
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by Ozzvaldo »

Bernardson wrote: With RM current proposals all those football players,supporters,volunteers and officials if they are not prepared to fight may as well give up their love for the game.
Already happens in my office where we've been P&L for nearly 7 years with a 3 o'clock finish. Several employees who support the local football team, for decades in some cases, now regularly miss games as do a couple of local cricketers whose games start at 2.30pm and a chap who's had to give up participating in the local bowls league that he'd played in for 20 years..

Then managers, who go home at 12, wonder why people laugh in their faces when they ask us to work Saturdays off.
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by loverman shabba »

we can all dream
glfp
Posts: 71
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by glfp »

loverman shabba wrote:we can all dream
probs be mon - fri real soon anyway.
dom told me rm looking at 7 -3.30 mon - fri once pension deal sorted.
suits me - got my karate saturday afternoon - had to cut off today to make it.
lcryans1
Posts: 5
Joined: 21 May 2011, 03:33
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by lcryans1 »

glfp wrote:
loverman shabba wrote:we can all dream
probs be mon - fri real soon anyway.
dom told me rm looking at 7 -3.30 mon - fri once pension deal sorted.
suits me - got my karate saturday afternoon - had to cut off today to make it.
Is that for definite or just a proposal? I know Royal Mail have wanted to go to a 5 day delivery for a while
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12193
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by SpacePhoenix »

glfp wrote:
loverman shabba wrote:we can all dream
probs be mon - fri real soon anyway.
dom told me rm looking at 7 -3.30 mon - fri once pension deal sorted.
suits me - got my karate saturday afternoon - had to cut off today to make it.
If RM move the pipeline back a couple of hours then all DO's will be 9-5. I can't see Saturday going completly, at some point I can see RM offering Sunday delivery for a premium
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by aiden01 »

lcryans1 wrote:
glfp wrote:
loverman shabba wrote:we can all dream
probs be mon - fri real soon anyway.
dom told me rm looking at 7 -3.30 mon - fri once pension deal sorted.
suits me - got my karate saturday afternoon - had to cut off today to make it.
Is that for definite or just a proposal? I know Royal Mail have wanted to go to a 5 day delivery for a while
Would say its a pipedream : :hmmmm
ernieshoe
Posts: 117
Joined: 07 Dec 2016, 15:40
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by ernieshoe »

Lounge Lizard wrote:Football or Royal Mail. :dance The choice is yours. :cuppa
Football
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Getting Saturday as my day off for semi-pro football

Post by bmccoll »

A Saturday off very week so you can play football? Hell I'd volunteer for that, just send me your office details and I'll be right up there.