ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Going through the same old routine..

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Going through the same old routine..

Post by fly-catchers »

Ever since the local DIM decided to add more roads on my delivery I have been having an endless argument! Because the younger and I dare say healthier person or persons who does the round gets backs earlier on my day off/leave they reckon another road and a bit can be added. After deciding my knees might be a factor they added a smaller amount from a different delivery instead. Now a year later they have added the other bit on as well! This was them kicked in the long grass when I was off sick with knee issues. Though the people picking up my round still had to do it. Now with the nice sunny weather and the lightest time of the year on us they reckon I can cope with it. Was just ok on Tuesday but impossible today. They took it off me after grumbling that the last two weeks had been fine while I was on leave! Of course I will have to argue again tomorrow and most likely Friday as well as I don't expect the mail levels will drop. Quite how these other people cope I cannot imagine! The usual business for a lot of people in the office however is the usual issues of coming in early, no breaks and bags on shoulder, so not that surprised! Been here 29 years and if it had been like this when I started would have hated it after a week! No support from the local union rep who just nods his head and saids yes they do finish earlier than you. But he was on the round in the old days of bikes left the top row of mail for somebody else to take!!
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Going through the same old routine..

Post by robbertwhitton »

Sounds familiar my friend,the next thing will be like I had "maybe after 36 years this isn't the job for you anymore"? In other words speed the f...k up you old git,and stop doing the job properly,properly,safely, and securely takes longer and we can't afford that !!
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Going through the same old routine..

Post by Interested-seeker »

Sorry that you have to go through that, sounds awful!
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Going through the same old routine..

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Awful, but it's happening everywhere. :thumbdown
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Going through the same old routine..

Post by fly-catchers »

The RM Motto- Saving Money at Any Cost!!
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Going through the same old routine..

Post by Creditshampoo »

Overloading an employee with work is bullying put it in writing
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Going through the same old routine..

Post by NWpostie »

robbertwhitton wrote:Sounds familiar my friend,the next thing will be like I had "maybe after 36 years this isn't the job for you anymore"? In other words speed the f...k up you old git,and stop doing the job properly,properly,safely, and securely takes longer and we can't afford that !!
Maybe they are hinting about VR or retirement there.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Going through the same old routine..

Post by rubberbond »

fly-catchers wrote:The RM Motto- Saving Money at Any Cost!!
Nearly but not quite,"Saving Money to reward shareholders",is the correct term. Because that's what they legally have to do. We are just the squishy,organic bit in the middle,a very expensive and inconvenient bit for Royal Mail. Well tough.
secluder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 40
Joined: 30 Aug 2009, 10:59
Gender: Male

Going through the same old routine..

Post by secluder »

fly-catchers wrote:Been here 29 years and if it had been like this when I started would have hated it after a week! No support from the local union rep who just nods his head and saids yes they do finish earlier than you. But he was on the round in the old days of bikes left the top row of mail for somebody else to take!!
29 years and zero respect.

Just curious, would you ask for more to be added to a round if you found it to be easy to get around and finished early?
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Going through the same old routine..

Post by robbertwhitton »

NWpostie wrote:
robbertwhitton wrote:Sounds familiar my friend,the next thing will be like I had "maybe after 36 years this isn't the job for you anymore"? In other words speed the f...k up you old git,and stop doing the job properly,properly,safely, and securely takes longer and we can't afford that !!
Maybe they are hinting about VR or retirement there.
Ha!! God I wish,if only I am senior and would go tomorrow,but not sure as and when it would happen,told the boss would be happy to go and my mate but like most things that need managing it not pursued,like job share etc,am fed up with the whole outfit!!
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Going through the same old routine..

Post by fly-catchers »

Got told today my Extra roads are now official and have to be delivered come what may!! Told them that with a bulk mailing today that I would not complete so had it taken off and still only got back only just in time! And still it will the same argument tomorrow. I did challenge the DOM to come out with me and offer suggestions as to where I am going wrong!! Too busy was the reply- yer I bet! Them told that it might be my prep time that is slow!! Funny how when I arrive early if I have to take public transport and sit upstairs till my start time just how full and busy the office downstairs is!! And yet the start time is the same??