ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Career break.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jraw92
Posts: 5
Joined: 30 May 2013, 10:27
Gender: Male

Career break.

Post by jraw92 »

Want to take a year out to go travelling. Any advice? Does anybody know the criteria for a career break?
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Career break.

Post by mickeymacca »

There is a list of the criteria which you can probably find quite easily if you put in the key words in the search icon. In essence though you have to give a minimum of 3 months notice , have a good conduct record and agree to return to work for a short period during the year ( I think it's about 2 weeks).
If you've got a decent DOM you should n't have a problem.

It's a brilliant perk of the job and I'm surprised more don't take advantage of it, I did it a few years back to go travelling and do a short educational course.

Good luck, and look up that list as I may be a bit off with some of my knowledge.
'Libraries gave us power'
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Career break.

Post by mickeymacca »

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... php?id=482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there you go mate
'Libraries gave us power'
a.day21
Posts: 4
Joined: 01 Feb 2015, 16:49
Gender: Male

Career break.

Post by a.day21 »

A few things to note about career breaks is that you have to go for at least 6 months - you can't return to work early once it has been agreed. Also, you technically aren't allowed to work when you're on a career break - so if you're planning on working while travelling, try to be discrete. Annoyingly, it is entirely at the discretion of your DOM if they let you take it or not - you can fit all the criteria (at least 2 years service, 3 months notice, good sick/disciplinary record etc.) and still find your DOM wont authorize it for operational reasons. You can call their bluff and say you will just quit if they won't let you have the time off and see if that works - it worked for me!
One final thing to note, is that I believe they guarantee you a job when you return, but not necessarily in the same office, and not necessarily in the same role. So don't be shocked if you return and you don't have your old duty, or are put on collections, or are simply told you have been relocated to a different office (I assume there is some limit to where they can relocate you to mind you). Someone else might be able to confirm or deny this, but this is what I was told when I took mine, so its worth bearing in mind!
andy.m
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 18:46
Gender: Male

Career break.

Post by andy.m »

I took a career break back in 2011 to go travelling. Originally took 1 year, which was later extended to 2. DOM was surprisingly helpful and authorised it. Was all agreed and signed within a couple of weeks. Like someone said, it's at the discretion of your DOM whether he approves it or not.