ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Pda fault

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Pda fault

Post by Seymour Buts »

Been telling our gaffers since we had these PDA's that they're faulty. If an item needs a signature, you cannot touch any part of the screen apart from in the box to sign. People who are quite frail, or old need to lean on the screen for a bit of support. Had yet another old boy yesterday who simply couldn't sign, I had to do it for him. Needs sorting asap.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Pda fault

Post by Interested-seeker »

I don't know if you know this...(I found out from someone here), but if the person is unable to sign either put in the code DWS (delivered without signature) or MAR (Marked On Arrival) and get the customer just to jot a mark on the PDA screen.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Pda fault

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Just get them to use their fingertips instead - it works.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Pda fault

Post by Seymour Buts »

Interested-seeker wrote:I don't know if you know this...(I found out from someone here), but if the person is unable to sign either put in the code DWS (delivered without signature) or MAR (Marked On Arrival) and get the customer just to jot a mark on the PDA screen.
Would that not go down as a failure on tracked signed fors and specials though?
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Pda fault

Post by centenaryman »

postietom wrote:Been telling our gaffers since we had these PDA's that they're faulty. If an item needs a signature, you cannot touch any part of the screen apart from in the box to sign. People who are quite frail, or old need to lean on the screen for a bit of support. Had yet another old boy yesterday who simply couldn't sign, I had to do it for him. Needs sorting asap.


ye get so much of this happening each day...mostly old ppl....so I tell em to keep on writing even though its not showing.....I thank them...walk away and press done.
it is a design fault.
oypostie
Posts: 917
Joined: 25 Dec 2007, 13:39

Pda fault

Post by oypostie »

But surely they went through an extensive testing phase .
Oh, silly me. They were tested inside the office :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
wookie
Posts: 319
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

Pda fault

Post by wookie »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Just get them to use their fingertips instead - it works.
True. The finger ALWAYS works, yet the stylus sometimes doesn't register.
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Pda fault

Post by koolishy67 »

I gave up with this stick always tell use your finger
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Pda fault

Post by woopesh »

The finger always works as people don't rest their hand on the screen like with the stick. The signing box needs to be full screen though, not a box in the middle. What idiot thought of that?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Pda fault

Post by yellowbelly »

Interested-seeker wrote:I don't know if you know this...(I found out from someone here), but if the person is unable to sign either put in the code DWS (delivered without signature) or MAR (Marked On Arrival) and get the customer just to jot a mark on the PDA screen.
MAR - Marked as received.

Origin of information is the 'Delivery Outdoor - Delivery Driver PDA User Guide' for the old PDA's, no date on it but it's got a blurb in the front by a bloke called
'Ninian Wilson - Operations Director' and theres a little asterisk note on one of the pages that says 'The Local Collect, Safeplace and Packstop options
will become active in early 2009' so the actual document is old but I don't see why the info re difficulty signing should not still be valid.