ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Overtime

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Overtime

Post by The Postman »

So I'm pretty new to Royal Mail. Looking to see if it's a new starter thing or if it happens to everyone?
I notified my Dom last week that my wages were short the previous week. She let me know that she'd sort it out this week, I opened my wage slip today and not only has my overtime not been put through from that week, but also last weeks overtime hasn't been paid either. It's not a lot of hours but I don't know if bringing it up again would put my job in jeopardy as I've not yet completed 6 months, but I also don't want to be walked over. Any suggestions on what to do?
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Overtime

Post by joewyan »

Of course you need to bring it up. If you don't they'll only think they can get away with it. I'd advise keeping a record of all overtime worked day by day and compare the totals to your payslip. And variance then report it and ask to check the entries.
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Overtime

Post by The Postman »

joewyan wrote:Of course you need to bring it up. If you don't they'll only think they can get away with it. I'd advise keeping a record of all overtime worked day by day and compare the totals to your payslip. And variance then report it and ask to check the entries.
Does it matter that some of the overtime was from going over my time due to lapsing to which I notified my Dom next day how far it took me over? Is that maybe why it's not been paid? Obviously being new, I don't know how much is too much yet, so should this be expected of me because I took it out?
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Overtime

Post by Phantom »

You should be paid for all the hours you work outside of your contractual hours, it doesn't matter what work you are doing.

Join the CWU and speak to a rep about it.
CUT OFF!!!
CaptainUppercut
Posts: 9
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 17:48
Gender: Male

Overtime

Post by CaptainUppercut »

You need to nip it in the bud straight away. Get paid for every minute you work. Or they WILL let you work for free. Keep hounding your manager, it's their job. But make sure you sign docket and keep a note of all overtime.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Overtime

Post by woopesh »

Sounds like you might have to threaten the manager with cutting off. That usually stops overtime payment delays.
bobthepostie
Posts: 135
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
Gender: Male

Overtime

Post by bobthepostie »

5 out of the past 7 weeks members in my office have had overtime missing. Yet they STILL work overtime on the premise that it was a mistake and will be paid the following week :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
postslippete
Posts: 4196
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Overtime

Post by postslippete »

You work at our office by any chance?? I've heard that our DOM has a habit of not paying the correct overtime, and it is one of the main reasons why I very rarely do any.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Overtime

Post by rubberbond »

Imagine what it will be like with monthly pay.