ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Annual leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Angwyn
Posts: 76
Joined: 04 Sep 2015, 09:39
Gender: Female

Annual leave

Post by Angwyn »

How many days/hours are accrued per month? Not started yet so no contract to refer to and long story but I've not been employed for 12 years. Just want to know how long I work before I can request a week off, I realise it might not be my first choice week lol just trying to compromise with OH :crazy: I will be on 27.5 hrs pw. Thanks blues :thumbup
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Annual leave

Post by Creditshampoo »

If you're contracted 27.5 hours a week you'll get paid 27.5 hours whilst on holiday.
And I think if you're working 5 days a week it's 22.5 days a year with bank holidays but I'm sure someone else will either agree or correct me here
Angwyn
Posts: 76
Joined: 04 Sep 2015, 09:39
Gender: Female

Annual leave

Post by Angwyn »

Creditshampoo wrote:If you're contracted 27.5 hours a week you'll get paid 27.5 hours whilst on holiday.
And I think if you're working 5 days a week it's 22.5 days a year with bank holidays but I'm sure someone else will either agree or correct me here
Thank you creditshampoo :-)

I will be working 5 days, so 22.5 days plus BH's but just wondering how long before I accrue a week AL. I'm not very good at working these things out :neutral:
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Annual leave

Post by bogstandard »

any leave already booked in the first 12 months the firm would normally honour. However you will need to make them aware of this asap.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Annual leave

Post by bogstandard »

Thats what i was told when i started, things could have changed since then.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
Angwyn
Posts: 76
Joined: 04 Sep 2015, 09:39
Gender: Female

Annual leave

Post by Angwyn »

Thanks everyone, I don't have any holiday booked. I'm trying to figure out how long I need to work before I've earned enough to book 5 days leave :thumbup
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Annual leave

Post by doorstepped »

you can book a holiday for next week if you want to.
you get 4.5 weeks plus your BH's.
if you dont pick some weeks before you get to your DO you will find your holidays will be feb / mar next year.

pick a few weeks you would like and tell your dom as soon as you join your DO. and he will have to honour them.
Angwyn
Posts: 76
Joined: 04 Sep 2015, 09:39
Gender: Female

Annual leave

Post by Angwyn »

doorstepped wrote:you can book a holiday for next week if you want to.
you get 4.5 weeks plus your BH's.
if you dont pick some weeks before you get to your DO you will find your holidays will be feb / mar next year.

pick a few weeks you would like and tell your dom as soon as you join your DO. and he will have to honour them.
:thumbup
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Annual leave

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Angwyn wrote:
doorstepped wrote:you can book a holiday for next week if you want to.
you get 4.5 weeks plus your BH's.
if you dont pick some weeks before you get to your DO you will find your holidays will be feb / mar next year.

pick a few weeks you would like and tell your dom as soon as you join your DO. and he will have to honour them.
:thumbup
However booking leave in Royal Mail is notoriously difficult, it's not like most places where you can take leave when you want with only a few weeks notice.

Leave should be picked, by everybody, for one financial year in the preceding October. So if you wanted leave in March 2018, you have to select it by no later than October 2016.

As a new starter, you probably won't be able to pick the weeks you want this year but make sure that you do get some picked for this year and if necessary keep annoying the manager till you get some booked.

Also you will need to aware that the 4 weeks before Christmas are blocked for leave except in the most exceptional circumstances.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.