ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Making my signed for duty, a lapsed duty.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Stewface
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Feb 2015, 18:12
Gender: Male

Making my signed for duty, a lapsed duty.

Post by Stewface »

I've recently heard the duty I signed for 2 years ago, is going to become a lapsed duty. I've been on long term sick leave, for last 4 months and have just returned on light duties, I'm guess I'll be on light duties for another 2-3 weeks, as I getting stronger day by day.
In March they was a fairly large re-sign, as there was about 20 duties that were vacant due to people leaving and retirements. I would have applied for another duty if I knew my duty was going to be a lapsing duty. I think my Duty may have been chosen as I was on sick leave, and had no say. Its due to start next week, whilst I'm still on light duties.
Can they make a Duty someone is assigned to, a lapsed duty? Is there anyway I can stop this happening?
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Making my signed for duty, a lapsed duty.

Post by woody38 »

Stewface wrote:I've recently heard the duty I signed for 2 years ago, is going to become a lapsed duty. I've been on long term sick leave, for last 4 months and have just returned on light duties, I'm guess I'll be on light duties for another 2-3 weeks, as I getting stronger day by day.
In March they was a fairly large re-sign, as there was about 20 duties that were vacant due to people leaving and retirements. I would have applied for another duty if I knew my duty was going to be a lapsing duty. I think my Duty may have been chosen as I was on sick leave, and had no say. Its due to start next week, whilst I'm still on light duties.
Can they make a Duty someone is assigned to, a lapsed duty? Is there anyway I can stop this happening?
Yes I,m afraid they can they did it with me, I was exactly in your position I was sick when I cam back my job was flexed, I became a spare apart from Christmas I never did that job again.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Making my signed for duty, a lapsed duty.

Post by Jpro747 »

RM can lapse any duty they want and can put you on any duty they want under the circumstances of operational needs.
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Making my signed for duty, a lapsed duty.

Post by bmccoll »

It has happened here to. It's ridiculous that Postmen with 30 years service can find themslves reserves again while newbies just in the door can be on fixed duties.
Stewface
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Feb 2015, 18:12
Gender: Male

Making my signed for duty, a lapsed duty.

Post by Stewface »

I guess its a punishment for being off long term sick after an operation. Ah well, the variety of duties will give me some different letterboxes to look at, as I wander the streets. Change is as good as a break.
magicw
Posts: 111
Joined: 11 May 2013, 14:50
Gender: Male

Making my signed for duty, a lapsed duty.

Post by magicw »

Its happened Twice in our Office. Both times the Duty Holder was given the first pick of Vacant duties ( are there not any in your office )
They cant treat you like a reserve? Surely you will still get the Rotating rest day and 1 IN 6 Weekend/ Wallington or whatever the agreement is in your office?

Did your rep not tip you off that during the Re-sign/ Revision that they were going to agree to Lapse your duty?
Stewface
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Feb 2015, 18:12
Gender: Male

Making my signed for duty, a lapsed duty.

Post by Stewface »

It wasn't decided when they done the revision/resign. We got a new DOM and a new line manager for my section about 4 weeks after resign, and it seems to have come from that. My duty is only lapsed when they do double lapsing in my section, so it will only be 1 or 2 days a week.