ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
-
Gredwyar
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 13:00
- Gender: Male
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
I was one of the many postal workers who was forced out of a job when RM changed our working hours to times when we had other commitments. In my case i worked 5.15-10.15 with RM and then had an afternoon job. But RM changed my hours to 8.20-14.40 meaning I had to quit both jobs and find another to pay the mortgage! The union could not help as our working times are not in our contracts. I have since returned to royal mail 4 years later and it states in the union agreement that prior seniority can be reinstated in exceptional circumstances to be agreed locally. The trouble is we cannot agree locally whether being forced to leave the job due to working time changes counts as an exceptional circumstance. Does anyone have experience of this situation?
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
Exceptions are very rare and would be limited to situations where the mitigating circumstances were outwith the control of both parties for example if a member left to care for a terminally ill relative. I think it's unlikely that a change of hours within your terms and conditions would constitute an exceptional circumstance. It would be difficult to limit such an exception since it would be possible for anyone who left and returned to use exactly the same excuse.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
barrychuckle
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 17:40
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
You do however get your previous years service counted towards your annual leave entitlement. So all you dip out on is seniority in a resign.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
Which is the worst thing about it!barrychuckle wrote: So all you dip out on is seniority in a resign.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
Seniority didnt count in our office,and hadnt for ages.Bahia Feliz wrote:Which is the worst thing about it!barrychuckle wrote: So all you dip out on is seniority in a resign.
-
barrychuckle
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 17:40
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
Since I returned 6 years ago I have received an extra 12 weeks annual leave. My office hasn't had a full resign in all that time.Bahia Feliz wrote:Which is the worst thing about it!barrychuckle wrote: So all you dip out on is seniority in a resign.
-
Gredwyar
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 13:00
- Gender: Male
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
Thanks for the replies folks, I read about the holiday seniority on another post which I need to let HR know about I guess. It seems I won't be able to use my past seniority for the important stuff though like making my hours up and picking walks. You'd think the union would want to help past employees back to the company that they failed so miserably during the revisions, but clearly not! They should at least be fighting to get working times into the contracts.
-
ernieshoe
- Posts: 117
- Joined: 07 Dec 2016, 15:40
- Gender: Male
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
God I hate Seniority.
Sooner it goes the better.
Too many lazy people hide behind it and have the same easy walk for 20 years.
Now Juniority would make sense.
Give the easy walks to new starters the difficult ones to the most senior who should know every walk like the back of the hands.
Oh sorry wrong place - that would be in the real word !
Sooner it goes the better.
Too many lazy people hide behind it and have the same easy walk for 20 years.
Now Juniority would make sense.
Give the easy walks to new starters the difficult ones to the most senior who should know every walk like the back of the hands.
Oh sorry wrong place - that would be in the real word !
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
That couldn't go wrong, could it.ernieshoe wrote:God I hate Seniority.
Sooner it goes the better.
Too many lazy people hide behind it and have the same easy walk for 20 years.
Now Juniority would make sense.
Give the easy walks to new starters the difficult ones to the most senior who should know every walk like the back of the hands.
Oh sorry wrong place - that would be in the real word !
Whilst I agree that brand new starters need to be treated a lot better than they are, it would improve retention and reduce recruitment costs, giving less senior members first choice of duties would only create exactly the same situation and problems that happen with seniority.
Should senior men be able to get the "easy" duties because of their length of service. Well in my honest opinion, No. But you don't solve that by changing who gets the first pick, you stop it by not having easy duties and the senior guys should be trying to make all duties as equal as possible. Those that feather their nest are contemptible, and the old argument of "Well I had to put up with that when I started" is not a measure of any Union value I know.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Broken Service Seniority in Exceptional Circumstances
And please remember those who have been in the job 20+ years need slightly easier deliveries to balance out the wrecked bodies they now have. It's far easier in the job if you are in your 20's than your 50's.ernieshoe wrote:God I hate Seniority.
Sooner it goes the better.
Too many lazy people hide behind it and have the same easy walk for 20 years.
Now Juniority would make sense.
Give the easy walks to new starters the difficult ones to the most senior who should know every walk like the back of the hands.
Oh sorry wrong place - that would be in the real word !